Another Bizarre Dennis Moment vs Shane

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just re-read the original post. Sorry for the question. I didn't know this was a rule either. I would think it odd if my opponent did this, but I didn't know it was illegal. Shane probably should have told him that before calling the ref over. Oh well! Dennis won't do this again I'm sure!

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
It's a pretty obvious foul to use another ball for measuring. I wonder if Dennis didn't know it was a foul, or if he knew it was a foul but thought Shane wouldn't call him on it.

He is a professional pool player and has been playing world class pool for a decade now, all over the world, in all sorts of events, and that rule has been in place in every single event he has played in in his professional career.

To even think he does not know that is a rule is laughable. It is just now, after years and years of playing that this is the first time using a ball like that would be an asset and he thought it was completely legit? Yeah, right...

What a goofball move.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
He is a professional pool player and has been playing world class pool for a decade now, all over the world, in all sorts of events, and that rule has been in place in every single event he has played in in his professional career.

To even think he does not know that is a rule is laughable. It is just now, after years and years of playing that this is the first time using a ball like that would be an asset and he thought it was completely legit? Yeah, right...

What a goofball move.

if he knew lt why do it?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
if he knew lt why do it?

He and Shane know each other pretty well, Dennis recently invited Shane over to the Philippines to complete in the Manny doubles event with him, they have played countless matches against each other. He likely thought SVB would let it slide.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
He and Shane know each other pretty well, Dennis recently invited Shane over to the Philippines to complete in the Manny doubles event with him, they have played countless matches against each other. He likely thought SVB would let it slide.

didn't Shane foul playing Dennis in a tourney just lately, or was Shane playing someone else, and, iirc didn't Shane also forfeit the match?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think shane didn't call the 10b and then conceded the match. I think it was a tourney in the phillipines.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and next time Shane doesn't call the 10 he should have no problam with it

++1 Good one

I think it was just a brainfart moment. As Jay said, in Philippines they do that . Under the high pressure of DCC environment , lack of sleep etc, he was probably in a dreamy mindset and tot he was playing in Philippines. I have never seen him do that and I don't think anyone has seen him do that in tourneys outside Philippines. Of cos what Dennis did us illegal but I would give him benefit of doubt and say that it is accidental not intentional

didn't Shane foul playing Dennis in a tourney just lately, or was Shane playing someone else, and, iirc didn't Shane also forfeit the match?

Shane did not call 10b in 2nd MP Cup in Philippines v Alcano even though the rule was compulsory 10 ball call
Alcano apparently call out ref who penalise Shane but Shane forfeited even though it was not hill game yet. There was big hoo haa here . many slammed and call Alcano all kinds of names for calling the ref.
Even though compulsory calling of 10 ball is unheard off but it is still a rule and rules are rules like in this match:)

jmhanson_21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so strange that I'm surprised Dennis didn't ask Shane if he could do it before he tried it. Even if they do this in the Philippines, he has to realize he's never seen an American grab an extra ball and use it to line up a shot. And yes, Shane forfeited a match in the Philippines for his opponent calling a ref for a rules violation. We all see an obvious comparison, but that's lazy and inaccurate. Shane didn't gain an unfair advantage by not calling a straight in 10 ball, Alcano just saw an opportunity to steal a game he should have lost. In this case, Dennis was gaining an illegal advantage, is Shane supposed to let that happen? People are always ready to cry hypocrisy. Settle down, apples/oranges.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a pretty obvious foul to use another ball for measuring. I wonder if Dennis didn't know it was a foul, or if he knew it was a foul but thought Shane wouldn't call him on it.

Under WPA (world-standardized) rules, I think it would be deemed to be unsportsmanlike conduct, with the penalty to be determined by the referee.

I don't know whether they are strictly observing WPA rules in this regard, but the ref calling a foul would be within those rules.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
was that a hill game or did he just go home mad.

It is a race to 9 here at Derby City. Shane was on the hill. Because of the tied up pair (6ball and 9ball), this game wasn't over, even with ball in hand for Shane.

Good news for Dennis, he went to the action room and played Billy Thorpe some short rack banks, even race to 8. Billy gets up 5-1. Dennis fights back like a champion and wins it 8-6.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under WPA (world-standardized) rules, I think it would be deemed to be unsportsmanlike conduct, with the penalty to be determined by the referee.

I don't know whether they are strictly observing WPA rules in this regard, but the ref calling a foul would be within those rules.

Stick to the facts kid. It's not your style to think!

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used three fingers, which happen to be very close to the width of a ball, to check it a ball will clear. Would that be considered a foul? A tape measure or ruler would not be allowed, but what if you had a mark on your finger that is exactly the same width of a ball?

Or you know what markings on the cue equal the width. Would this be considered unintended use of equipment?

Would it be ok to use another ball if the ball does not touch the cloth or another ball?

Some grey areas.

Last edited: