Another One Gone

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's my sad duty to inform you of the passing of Endicott, New York player Jerry "Bugsy" Fiehl. Jerry was in his mid to late '70s I believe. He died April 7 and I have no more information at this time. Jerry was a well known player around New York State and played in a lot of tournaments. Played a lot of action too, when the game was right. Jerry played mostly at Triangle Billiards on Washington Ave. in Endicott. Also at The Pocket Billiard Lounge in Binghamton, NY. when it was still open. He was a regular in the New York State 9 Ball Championship played at PBL from the late '70s to the late '80s or early '90s. Jerry was pre-deceased by his beloved wife Barbara. He will be sorely missed.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very sad when I hear about the guys in their mid to late 70s passing- the guys who supported this game post Hustler movie in the 60s, but more importantly during the 70s into the early 80s when all the hoopla from the post Hustler movie days had died and thousands of pool rooms closed their doors.

Many younger people here picked up the game post Color of Money - but our senior centers in America that still have their billiard rooms intact regularly see the guys who supported this game through thick and thin beginning in the 1960s still showing up, now in far fewer numbers; to enjoy the game and the camaraderie as much as they can prior to their demise.

I have rubbed elbows with many guys now in their 70s still enjoying the game - many of these guys like my oldest brother who introduced me to the game- served our country in the Vietnam era and saw brutal jungle combat - and these are the guys who never gave up on the game; came back to us, and really helped keep it alive in America in the 70s and early 80s when pool was dying prior to the COM movie.

Balabushka, Szamboti, Ray Martin, Mizerak, DiLiberto, and the young guns at the time, Varner, Sigel, Hopkins, Rempe, Liscotti, all of you ended up with great recognition from this game, let us not forget the guys who made this all possible by staying with a game that many gave up on during that time period.

Hats off to you " Bugsy"!! Thanks for hanging in there when so many ran from this great game. Thanks for keeping it alive and passing the baton! Those of us who can still enjoy this grand game today salute you:)(y)

Last edited:

DKolacz

Registered
Sad to hear. Jerry was on the of the first out of towners I ran into when I first started playing pool in late 80's early 90s.
I ran into him in Binghamton. It used to drive me bonkers seeing his bridge hand minutely slip and slide around on the table during his pre stroke routine! Years later, had the pleasure of talking to him and matching up a little. Super guy.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I knew Bugsy for the past 25 years and even got to play him a bunch. I’ve been a regular at Triangle Billiards from the summer of 95 till today. Bugsy was always there and playing in some sort of game. He had great stories and always made you laugh. RIP Bugsy… We will all miss you 😢

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear, Jerry was a good guy. Back in the day, Jerry beat some of the best. When he was on, NOBODY had to like playing him.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew Bugsy for the past 25 years and even got to play him a bunch. I’ve been a regular at Triangle Billiards from the summer of 95 till today. Bugsy was always there and playing in some sort of game. He had great stories and always made you laugh. RIP Bugsy… We will all miss you 😢
My wife and I were on vacation many years ago in Ocean City, Maryland. One afternoon I got caught in an undertow and the lifeguard had to come out and get me. The next day we ran into Jerry and Barb on the boardwalk. Jerry had the exact same thing happen to him two days previous at Rehoboth Beach. At some point many years ago Gary Pinkowski was, according to him, owed a sum of money by Jerry. He brought in a ringer to play Jerry for the money. I heard later they never did play. I don't know if Jerry knew the guy on sight or if someone else did. If I had to bet, I'd have bet Andy Price would have known the guy. Andy knew just about everybody on the East coast that could play at that time. The player was Gene Nagy.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Gerry's obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/gerald-fiehl-obituary?id=34768974

When he was on, man could this guy play. I've watched him double dip Hatch in a finals, whitewash Rempe 9-0 in the NYS 9-ball championship, beat Segal several times...the list goes on and on.

One thing I learned is you never wanted to bet on or against Jerry. He was capable of playing a perfect set and beating anyone or lose to practically anyone. He left this world with a significant chunk of my money while giving me significant weight (he played good on those particular occasions). I'll still miss him :)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Gerry's obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/gerald-fiehl-obituary?id=34768974

When he was on, man could this guy play. I've watched him double dip Hatch in a finals, whitewash Rempe 9-0 in the NYS 9-ball championship, beat Segal several times...the list goes on and on.

One thing I learned is you never wanted to bet on or against Jerry. He was capable of playing a perfect set and beating anyone or lose to practically anyone. He left this world with a significant chunk of my money while giving me significant weight (he played good on those particular occasions). I'll still miss him :)
Thanks for posting the obituary. We had much more in common than I knew!