Anybody know Joe Alvarez?

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
I was just curious, before his massive stroke and health troubles started several years ago, where would everybody rank Joe Alvarez? I have seen lot's of pictures of him winning big tournaments or placing high among the top house hold name pros, was he on their level or just a really strong short stop?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My understanding is that Joe was pro speed, well above a short stop, but not household name pro speed.

Last edited:

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
I was just curious, before his massive stroke and health troubles started several years ago, where would everybody rank Joe Alvarez? I have seen lot's of pictures of him winning big tournaments or placing high among the top house hold name pros, was he on their level or just a really strong short stop?

Can you post a picture of Joe. I've heard his name for the past 15 years. I'd like to put a face to the legendary name.

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
The guy in red in front.

Attachments

• joe alvarez.jpg
    joe alvarez.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 322

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I saw him play in a few of the Rum Runner tournaments in Vegas. Sorry to hear he isn't doing well health wise. Martin

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish the best for Joe. I knew him back in 1990. He worked/ played at CueTopia fo a while. Super nice guy. Plays fantastic. CueTopia in las Vegas, was owned by Fred Gurino and Mary Kenniston. It was located in a plaza on Swenson and Twain, east of the strip. He used to play with a Joss West cue.

bubbles24

Registered
Joe Alvarez

I was told by several players in colorado, and I think that Joe is from Fort Collins, that he is pro speed for sure and was REAL GOOD for the "cash"!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Tough Competitior

Joe was a Good player....1989-90 from CO he then moved to Vegas. It was 'there' he learned to play at his next level (and one pocket) which made him difficult for most anyone to beat.