Anyone' game affected by apparel?

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My shoes got wet before league so I had to use my big winter boots. I managed to win more than I lost, but everything felt awkward and "off".For all I know it had nothing to do with boots. Anyone else ever affected by a change like that? Just curious.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I "seem" to play consistently better in shorts, hawaiian shirt, and leather sole loafers.

I can say for sure that in very cold weather, while wearing bulky clothing and heavy
shoes with Viibram soles, I struggle more to win games in League regardless the
ability of my opponents.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I only ever play in t-shirts, so when I played in a tournament that required a collared shirt and bowtie a part of the dress code, I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was. I don't know how those snooker guys do it.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Friday night is naughty school girl night at the old place I used to play... There were definite occasions where their apparel Affected me plenty.....

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't think of a "sport" that would be less affected by clothing than pool....not even darts or horseshoes. Shuffleboard maybe?

Electech

on the b train again....
Silver Member
Flat soled shoes fit me best. I played a match acouple of months ago in my cross trainers and had the same issues as you. My cue wasnt as level as it needed to be due to the added height in the sole of the cross trainers. Thats what I came up with anyway. :wink:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes, it hurts my game, but I figure I've been impacted by opponents' apparel more than my own. There was this one guy I used to play in a straight pool league who always wore a T-shirt with a giant picture of Donald Duck on it. That T-shirt always affected my concentration for the worse!

Guess what I'm saying is that I won't gamble with you if you are wearing a Donald Duck T-shirt.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
an attractive blond bartender girl (a 9) and I in Austria were having a conversation about pool and she said she wanted to become a pro pool player....why didn't I meet her the next morning at the local pool hall and we shoot a few. i met her out front of the place and she produced a key to the front door and told me it was closed but she knew the owner. she shows up dressed in a very high cut skirt and low cut blouse showing all of her "assets...I could not make a ball in all afternoon! her dress affected my game more than I can say! :eek:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The game starts with your stance & that starts with your feet.

Earl Strickland once almost forfeited a match because he was wearing the wrong shoes & went back to his hotel room to get the 'right shoes'.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friday night is naughty school girl night at the old place I used to play... There were definite occasions where their apparel Affected me plenty.....

I used to play at a place like that. Except Wednesday was bikini night. :thumbup:

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't think of a "sport" that would be less affected by clothing than pool....not even darts or horseshoes. Shuffleboard maybe?

Think a little harder then. If you consistently practice while wearing pajamas in the basement, the restriction of motion and change in height of going to business casual clothing with heeled shoes is pretty significant.

I won't argue that performance is independent of the selected clothing, but consistency can be affected by changes.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Think a little harder then. If you consistently practice while wearing pajamas in the basement, the restriction of motion and change in height of going to business casual clothing with heeled shoes is pretty significant.

I won't argue that performance is independent of the selected clothing, but consistency can be affected by changes.

I've asked quite a few, if you don't play barefooted or in slippers/flip flops then why are you 'practicing' that way?

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to play at least a ball lower if I'm wearing a hat or a long-sleeved shirt. Nothing else has an effect in either direction as far as I can tell.

I would think that a bowtie would probably be devastating to my game though.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I was a D player, stopped wearing underwear and moved up 2 balls.

Best thing is if you are stretched out and can't reach a shot, lift up your feet and balance yourself like a pogo stick.

I looked it up, it's legal

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
Well if I were heavy shoes it bothers me. If I wear thick shirt it bothers me. But a hat bothers me most. Here in Texas many guys wear cowboy hats. I tried it and and I cannot make a ball.

Believe it or not, I were tennis shoes and sweat suit every time to play in local tournaments. If I wear anything else it fees odd.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Business casual clothing. Really have a tough time playing in dress shirts that are tucked in. Hate it when sleeves are touching and constricting my elbows. Dont know how people shoot on long sleeve shirts or what not. Just cant play in clothes that restrict my movements. If I shoot after work I know I need to bring clothes to change into.

On a side note I cant play with long finger nails either. Have to cut my nails if I play in a tournament or important league match.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 'm surprised no one has mentioned hooking your grip hand thumb between
the buttons on your shirt. That one will foul my stroke often when I forget to
wear a pull-over, or a snug vest.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes, it hurts my game, but I figure I've been impacted by opponents' apparel more than my own. There was this one guy I used to play in a straight pool league who always wore a T-shirt with a giant picture of Donald Duck on it. That T-shirt always affected my concentration for the worse!

Guess what I'm saying is that I won't gamble with you if you are wearing a Donald Duck T-shirt.

In the late 60's and early 70's we played with a guy who used to put a rock or a coin in his shoe on purpose before he played. He said it distracted him enough that he didn't have room for any negative thoughts. The discomfort kept his mind occupied. True story. :thumbup:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only things that bother me are shoes that just aren't right and a shirt that is too tight in the shoulders.

I normally wear boots or leather moccasin style loafers in the summer but neither feels right for pool. It's one of the few times other than working out that I'll wear sneakers.

I always wear a button-up type long sleeve shirt in my daily life...it's just what I like to wear. But some of them are a little snug in the shoulders for pool so I make sure to select ones that don't restrict movement. I should probably try a polo type shirt for even less restriction but I just can't seem to put those on unless I'm going to the golf course.