Anyone out there know the rules to keeno pool

dick hayes

Registered
Hi: I bought an old pool table Keeno board at a flee market. I feel that in was probably from the 30's or 40's era. The board was made in Ashville, N.C., by the Standard Supply Company. It has four rows of numbered holes, with a total of 60 holes in all. The board has the Keeno game on one side and a poker type card game of the other side. (Just for the information I paid 60 dollars for the board). I tried to find the rules of play on the internet, but have been unsuccessful. I also looked in Mike Shamos' Encyclopedia of Billiards book, but he did not mention the game there either. I have asked some of the old timers in the Boston, MA area about the game also. Some of them remembered it, loved it, but really don't remember the rules of play. They said that they used to play for quarters, so I have the feeling that this used to be a gambling game that may have been banned in Boston. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh my gosh.

Keeno. The oldtimers in the early 60's used to play that in Sand's Cue & Cushion in Wilkinsburg, Pa. Yes it was a gambling game . How to play I haven't a clue. But I will continue your research. Old memories. Or as I like to say, past memories are the best.
Oh yeah. They had a special table for it because the board left a mark in the felt.

Mr.Bumps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this game is great for gambling, the object of the game is to score 61 points, or u can also win by shooting any numbered ball into the same number hole (e.g 5 into the 5 hole) or by shooting any numbered ball into one of the 3 keyno holes. also when we played the 15 ball into keyno hole payed double. as for points u need 61 to win, if u shoot the 15 into the 14 hole u have 29 points, u rotate turns and keep your points. anytime the cue ball is hit up on the board into a hole it is a scratch and the OB would spot. i grew up in small pool room in cincy that had one of these and an amos and andy board both r really exciting and fun games. congrats on finding it!

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O.k. how about this

I guess I'm no computer genius :grin::shrug: Do this : Google - Rules to Amos and Andy Pool. They will be there. I just tried to show off !!

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
I won't quit until i have to go to bed.
I would try out your post in the test area until you get it right.

OP-I did a quick google search and came up with this.

http://www.billiardsforum.info/pool-rules/amos-and-andy-board-billiard-rules.asp

I have also seen folks gambling this way. They stand at the end of the table the keno board is on and throw a ball down the other end and back. Whoever gets the highest number on their roll wins the money for that round.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick

post a picture of the board so i can see what style it is. all the rooms that had board games had their own rules for the style of board they had.

bill

dick hayes

Registered
Thanks for the info guys. The Amos and Andy link did the trick. The board shown there is identical to the one I have. Lots of the old timers around here smile when I bring up the subject of Keeno pool, recalling memories of yore. By the way Keeno is the way it is spelled on the board I have. I can't help but wonder if we can play this game nowadays when they allow Keno to be played everyone around here.

Just for the input. There is a guy named Robert Sheehan that makes and sells Keno boards. His board and mine are quite different though, as are his rules. If anyone is interested, he can be found at robertsheehan@yahoo.com or 503-313-8546.

eaglemanmike

WTB--A New Stroke !
keeno

does your board look similar to the one on my wall? Just curious.........

Attachments

• DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 372

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
does your board look similar to the one on my wall? Just curious.........

thats the one i have ! we usta gamble on that. 16 is for the cueball and the double hole in the middle paid double. any ball in there wins but not the cueball. cueball only in the 16 hole. then all other holes had to match the ball. true?