Anyone see that Blackboar cue on Facebook? Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will admit that some cue makers can produce flawless work. But I believe all cuemakers have, on occasion, sold cues with small imperfections. I have had some of these cues from some of the biggest names. Tiny imperfections don't bother me (much).

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

You're a straight up sucker in the cue world.
ROFL

Quite the opposite. Actually I’m a savvy buyer. I view cues as tools and not a collection. I like collecting Swiss watches and have a six figure watch collection. Just prefer that to cues.

People can collect anything they want. I can buy one of these Blackboars if I choose to. I guess I rather buy a an irrational purchase like a watch versus an irrational purchase of a cue.

To each it’s own.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
ROFL

Quite the opposite. Actually I’m a savvy buyer. I view cues as tools and not a collection. I like collecting Swiss watches and have over 100k watch collection. Just prefer that to cues.

People can collect anything they want. I can buy one of these Blackboars if I choose to. I guess I rather buy a an irrational purchase like a watch versus an irrational purchase like a cue.

To each it’s own.
Has nothing to do with it, buying a severely flawed cue is just stupid, and not knowing any better is why we're laughing at you.

I had a couple Franck Muller watches, doesn't make me a watch expert

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ROFL

Quite the opposite. Actually I’m a savvy buyer. I view cues as tools and not a collection. I like collecting Swiss watches and have a six figure watch collection. Just prefer that to cues.

People can collect anything they want. I can buy one of these Blackboars if I choose to. I guess I rather buy a an irrational purchase like a watch versus an irrational purchase of a cue.

To each it’s own.
Would you pay 20k for a watch with a crooked minute hand?
👍

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This same dude blocked me because he was just railing against predator for painted cues and I would rip him for it every every time. I don’t play with fanCy customs anymore. Got over it a long time ago but for the price that you pay for a predator sp2 of course it’s not inlays lol I just care if I Like how it plays at this point. lol

As for the the cue in the pics well I’ve seen and played with a lot of black boars. Love how they look. Never how they play unfortunately but I’ve never seen one with that many mistakes in the build. I don’t expect it to be absolutely perfect as a human is making it but for that money I expect a master craftsman to get pretty damn close 🤷‍♂️

shooter_Hans

This same dude blocked me because he was just railing against predator for painted cues and I would rip him for it every every time. I don’t play with fanCy customs anymore. Got over it a long time ago but for the price that you pay for a predator sp2 of course it’s not inlays lol I just care if I Like how it plays at this point. lol

As for the the cue in the pics well I’ve seen and played with a lot of black boars. Love how they look. Never how they play unfortunately but I’ve never seen one with that many mistakes in the build. I don’t expect it to be absolutely perfect as a human is making it but for that money I expect a master craftsman to get pretty damn close 🤷‍♂️
I’ve been trying to teach a lot of people here.

They don’t know these are handmade cues and there are imperfections. It’s real easy judge a cue initially. If it is handmade and looks fake or stickers then that is a master builder. It is perfect. Tascarella, Gina cue etc…etc….they’re so good that you can’t believe it’s handmade

There are also handmade cues that show imperfections but doesn’t mean it’s not handmade. Tou can tell it’s done by a person.

In the case of this blackboar and most likely all of them, they look perfect but have imperfections such as this cue.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member

i've had the same argument with people on facebook about predator cues. the description of the cue on their site will tell you if it's inlaid or stained/painted. people just don't read item descriptions and go off of pictures alone without realizing they don't know what they're looking at. there's people that look at a sp2 and think it's inlaid when from the naked eye you can tell that's not the case. they then think all predator cues are decals or paint because the lower end ones are. the sp2 butt in particular is like 600 dollars after you subtract the cost of the revo shaft and they thought they were getting fancy inlays in it lol.

there was a guy that refinished a grey sp2 and he and everyone in the post were surprised that the forearm was stained. i asked everyone if they thought maple grows in shades of grey and then the conversation changed to predator's cues are junk because this one was stained grey. i asked them why they don't have an issue when mezz, jacoby, or well regarded cuemakers do this and everyone goes quiet or just keeps irrationally bashing predator because the cue was stained.

as for this bb, i would've expected more considering the price. but i have seen a lot of higher end cues with flaws too that no one wants to point out.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Obviously you guys know what I meant.

If not then I will rephrase my question.....what CNC machine applies those inlays?

As mentioned earlier they are handmade so imperfections will occur.

Common folks don't know this.
When using a CNC machine what part of the cue making process is done by the machine and what part is done by hand.

Be specific.

Is this also applicable if a Pantograph is the tool used during the embellishment process?

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've had the same argument with people on facebook about predator cues. the description of the cue on their site will tell you if it's inlaid or stained/painted. people just don't read item descriptions and go off of pictures alone without realizing they don't know what they're looking at. there's people that look at a sp2 and think it's inlaid when from the naked eye you can tell that's not the case. they then think all predator cues are decals or paint because the lower end ones are. the sp2 butt in particular is like 600 dollars after you subtract the cost of the revo shaft and they thought they were getting fancy inlays in it lol.

there was a guy that refinished a grey sp2 and he and everyone in the post were surprised that the forearm was stained. i asked everyone if they thought maple grows in shades of grey and then the conversation changed to predator's cues are junk because this one was stained grey. i asked them why they don't have an issue when mezz, jacoby, or well regarded cuemakers do this and everyone goes quiet or just keeps irrationally bashing predator because the cue was stained.

as for this bb, i would've expected more considering the price. but i have seen a lot of higher end cues with flaws too that no one wants to point out.
The grey being stained is obviously fine. I think (fear) that the points on those cues are paint too. That is a much bigger thing.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

bpeacock

When using a CNC machine what part of the cue making process is done by the machine and what part is done by hand.

Be specific.

Is this also applicable if a Pantograph is the tool used during the embellishment process?
I am wondering the same thing? How much has to be done by hand for it to be "hand made"? What if the inlay is cut on CNC?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Would you pay 20k for a watch with a crooked minute hand?
👍
He probably would
I’ve been trying to teach a lot of people here.

They don’t know these are handmade cues and there are imperfections. It’s real easy judge a cue initially. If it is handmade and looks fake or stickers then that is a master builder. It is perfect. Tascarella, Gina cue etc…etc….they’re so good that you can’t believe it’s handmade

There are also handmade cues that show imperfections but doesn’t mean it’s not handmade. Tou can tell it’s done by a person.

In the case of this blackboar and most likely all of them, they look perfect but have imperfections such as this cue.
The ONLY thing you've taught us is that you know absolutely NOTHING.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The machines don’t apply the inlay like most think.

Actually not at all.

You wouldn’t know by hanging out on here.
There are a bunch of us on here who have spent plenty of time at the best in the worlds shops. You must think this is a new site for people new to pool - you're the only one clearly new to cue building

shooter_Hans

There are a bunch of us on here who have spent plenty of time at the best in the worlds shops. You must think this is a new site for people new to pool - you're the only one clearly new to cue building
LOL

Gong to a shop and giving water to the cue builder during his break doesn’t make you an expert my friend.

He’s waiting for you to write him a check and leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.