APA 2023 US Open Amateur Championship

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And he is an amateur. He works a 40 hour week job. lol no pro would play in the amateur. There’s no money in it. You get this all the time. They complained when parks was winning to.
i did see Ryan mccreesh complaining he’s been banned from apa because of skill level which seems odd Since I feel like they always matched up Even But who knows.
Mccreesh has been kicked out of many tournaments, mostly because of his attitude, not skill level.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a 530ish guy (high robustness) who is an SL7/9. Getting to SL7 at that Fargo is fairly common in some areas but I'm struggling to see how he's an established SL9. I always thought that was more the realm of people who are approaching or just over 600.

I don't know anyone at 530 personally that is maxed out in any league and if they are they tend to be there for a very brief time and are usually one rank lower. This includes travel to several states (Ohio/Michigan/TN/MA/RI/NH and a few others), any maxed out player is at least as good as I am. I'm a 550/560 ranked in Fargo and I jump between a 6 and a 7 in TAP and would be at the max APA level but probably not in lower 25% of those ranks. When I travel and play people I am often told I would be at a 600 Fargo playing the local guys. My son as a 630 is a 7 in TAP and is top 10 in the country for wins, and TAP 7 aligns pretty well with APA 7/9. 530 is pretty low for a maxed out APA shooter.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know anyone at 530 personally that is maxed out in any league and if they are they tend to be there for a very brief time and are usually one rank lower. This includes travel to several states (Ohio/Michigan/TN/MA/RI/NH and a few others), any maxed out player is at least as good as I am. I'm a 550/560 ranked in Fargo and I jump between a 6 and a 7 in TAP and would be at the max APA level but probably not in lower 25% of those ranks. When I travel and play people I am often told I would be at a 600 Fargo playing the local guys. My son as a 630 is a 7 in TAP and is top 10 in the country for wins, and TAP 7 aligns pretty well with APA 7/9. 530 is pretty low for a maxed out APA shooter.
mayne he doesn’t play in Fargo events. I think my Fargo is a 560ish because I’ve only played in one league that is Fargo rated but im a 7/9 in apa 8 ball and 9 ball. My friend keeps telling me I need to come down to Maryland where they have a lot of Fargo tournaments because I’m gonna hurt a lot of feelings 😂 Fargo doesn’t mean anything if your not playing In a lot of rated events.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
James is a real nice guy and a helluva player. We must live close. I’m in palm harbor and play out of Strokers
Question, any insight as to why the tourney wasn't at Strokers this year? I had not heard of the venue change.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They out grew stokers But i also think they have a deal with diamond and strikers has gold crowns Might have something to do with it also
I wouldn’t say they out grew Strokers. The field is 128 players like it’s always been. But you are correct as far as the diamond tables. That was probably a big part of the decision. Also the professional look of an arena for the finals was important imo.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t say they out grew Strokers. The field is 128 players like it’s always been. But you are correct as far as the diamond tables. That was probably a big part of the decision. Also the professional look of an arena for the finals was important imo.
Well when I say out grew apa likes to do the main arena for streamed matches. Also everyone said there was just no room to move so it made sense to move

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
mayne he doesn’t play in Fargo events. I think my Fargo is a 560ish because I’ve only played in one league that is Fargo rated but im a 7/9 in apa 8 ball and 9 ball. My friend keeps telling me I need to come down to Maryland where they have a lot of Fargo tournaments because I’m gonna hurt a lot of feelings 😂 Fargo doesn’t mean anything if your not playing In a lot of rated events.
Bingo! I'm in the same boat as you being that I've rarely played BCA since 2015 so probably more than 75% of my past matches aren't used for my Fargo rating. Like you, I'm maybe a 560 or 570 (with about 100 robustness) at the moment but a 7/9 in APA which I've played consistently for 20 years. Those leagues have always fit better with my preferences and time schedules so that's what I play. 🤷‍♂️

Good to know there are others with a similar profile!

-Brian

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish that they did a better job with the qualifier locations. very limited in some areas, especially in tristate region.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As with the other skill ratings, I am talking about the real rating of skill not one that someone happens to have that is incorrect. Whatever Fargo rating someone has, to say so and so rating should be a 9 in the APA, it has to be the correct Fargo rating. A player that is an A+ but somehow has a 500 Fargo rating, does not actually have a 500 Fargo rating that measures the skill but rather a fake rating, which is as valid as any other fake thing. If someone is a 530 but they should actually be a 580, that simply falls outside of any possible comparison. A 560 is a B+ player, enough to run 1-2 racks every so often but not rely to do that every match or even every night, that is about enough to max out APA or TAP in my experience. But a 530 is a bit short of that and they will be a solid 6/8 but probably not a 7/9 without dropping, or maybe being a 6/9 or a 7/8 or something.

Last edited:

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US Amateur event is run by the APA, but has nothing to do with their league. Only benefit of being an active APA league member is a discount on registration fees.
Congrats to Brett Stottlemyer, Brett played in this event many times before -- always came up short. He played excellent to capture his 1st title!