APA sandbagging?

liakos

Banned
Sandbagging is part of the format. My captain told me to miss some balls to keep my handicap low.

I quit playing APA, my integrity is important to me.
Well said!!! My captain told me the same, so I said sure!!! I'm a 7 and 9! I play my game 100% of the time!!! When I'm in match, I take some risks, when I'm gambling, I take the percentage shot!!! Only way for me!!!!

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's how I feel about the league too!!! I just being called a bagger!!! I guess if you don't care what people think,,, its full bagging ahead;)

Yeah I don't care what people think at all and neither does my accountant. I could care about what people thought but then that would mean I valued insignificant peoples' thoughts and thats just plain silly.

DanielDeTinne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a team captain in APA. I hate people that sandbag. All the players on my team including myself give our best game every time.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Most of the tournaments in the greater Phoenix Metro are run under an Arizona Rating, or Handicapping System.

People come and play before someone on the rating committee. They are evaluated, and rated 4-to-10-2. With a Four being a very weak player.

People try, and fool the person doing the rating sometimes. So they can make a few event & make a killing before the rating committee can re rate em.

IMHO I use to think this rating thing was a good system, now I think 100% OPEN PLAY is the most honest way to run things, as everyone must try their hardest to win, or place.

shadowmoss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always laughed when a lower handicapped player is all proud and bragging he beat a high handicapped player when you know the guy dumped to keep his handicap down. The sand bagging is one of the reasons I quit the APA, and I was on 3 leagues a week.

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great to hear. So what is your real skill level sir?

Me? I'm just an average pool player but the APA's handicapping is so screwed up I could easily be a 7 if wanted to. The fact is that the APA's rating system is very far off when it comes to the upper end of the spectrum. A "B" player and an open player could both be ranked a 7 and the truth is that there is a HUGE difference between those 2 sets of players. Truth be told they should have their rating system go to 10, have a higher team limit cap and use more info for their system, imho. In the end you just play the game that you're a part of.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it's sandbagging and yes, it's rampant in the APA and has been for 20 plus years. It's why folks join due to the lure of Vegas and play for awhile then eventually leave and find other leagues or weekly tournaments to play in.

NAPA has a much better handicap system that eliminates sandbagging and BCA has one that is close. It just takes some folks time to figure it out for themselves. It's accelerated sometimes when folks realize that other leagues like NAPA and BCA have great Nationals as well, not to mention they're much easier to get qualified for.

APA has spend a lot of years looking for ways to divert attention from the problem of sandbagging and has implemented other things like the reduction system they put in back in the 90's which is also a double reduction on the 7's (why penalize your best players?) and more recently the 3 point scoring system which also penalizes the upper half of the skill levels in the league by giving a point to 2's, 3's and 4's for winning a single game and making it to the hill.

The funny part about sandbagging is it's still only a temporary thing because the scoring system for APA takes into account wins and adjusts your 'innings' accordingly whenever you win, giving you a minimum score. The problem, however, is that the minimum score takes time to have an effect on your handicap so the sandbagging is still prevalent for a very long time before it's caught up with in the system database.

APA is just a mess when it comes to handicaps and needs completely revamped but every amateur league wants their own stamp, or twist on how the amateur game is played so they've stuck with theirs for far too long. Vegas is great, I've been many times on APA teams, and you don't need to sandbag to get there. It's hard to win against the teams out there that do, though. A lot of teams end up losing to teams that sandbagged to get there and eventually will get raised up or dq'd out in Vegas but then, the damage is done and good teams have been beaten out. It's sad.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I'm not bored enough to spend 4 or 5 hours weekly at a pool hall or bar deliberately missing balls. There are much easier ways to get to Las Vegas, flights leave every day.

LOL thats true, i'd rather go to the beach than Vegas....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Really? If your beating the 8 ball ghost 2/3 times on a barbox your a pro who's not allowed to play in the APA.
Lol, everyone is a champion on the Net.

LOL 2-3 with "ball in hand" on a barbox makes you a pro???? I understand what you are going for but it is a Barbox... Is there a ghost rule in effect these days I never heard of??

Chris

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
LOL 2-3 with "ball in hand" on a barbox makes you a pro???? I understand what you are going for but it is a Barbox... Is there a ghost rule in effect these days I never heard of??

Chris

Correct. If your running 8 ball out on a barbox with BIH after the break 2/3 times, or 66.6% if the time your playing at a pro speed. Certainly a speed higher than what the Apa intends to have.

I'd bet a top pro would have a higher runout percentage on a 9fter than a bar table playing 8 ball.

How often do you think earl would break and runout on a barbox playing 8ball?

There are stats on these kind of things. Unless you think BIH is that huge of a deal while playing 8 ball when its open after the break anyway?

Guys don't break and run nearly as much as people like to act like they do.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only played Valley leagues, and think that no one should be lower than a 4 for handicapping. A good player should not be lower than a 7, regardless of the actual average. I have seen the top two teams meet in the first week, and both teams end up with lower averages. The following weeks, they may get a spot against a weaker team.

There needs to be some common sense with the ratings.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Good points.

If the APA wants a quick and easy way to fix their complete troubles, they need to change their philosophy on the 23 point rule and/or their rules on matching players. I believe that the rules that should be implemented are:

Teams have to field a team within a range of points, something like 21-25 points. This rule allows for no teams of all s/l 3/4 and allows more flexibility in having a couple of higher ranked players. Basically this means every team would have to have a 6 or 7 in order to be ensured of fielding a team. Teams with higher ranked players would still need a couple of lower ranked players.

Players in any given match have to be or play within one rating. This rule, especially when combined with my first rule, gives an advantage to teams with higher skill levels...which should be the case as it is in every other sport with handicaps. A player would never be allowed to play as a lower skill level, so teams with all low skill levels would have to play as if they were higher skill levels. So, if a team throws a 3 against a 7, that 3 would have to play as a 6...so a team would be stupid to do that.

I thoroughly believe that these rules would severely limit the sandbagging that goes on. There would no longer be as much payoff for staying at a 3 or 4. A team of all 5's could be fielded and considering that is basically the middle of the skill level range, it should be perfect. Being that there is a lower limit to the team fielded, there will inevitably be less reason to keep everyone at a grossly underrated s/l.

dld

We have over 100 players, and currently 4 sl7's. Right around 9 or 10 sl6's, and a couple teams have two each. It would be difficult to mandate having a 6 or 7 on every team. We are close, but a few of the teams that do have at least a 6 have played for a couple years before their 6 got raised to that level.

And no, I do not believe we have rampant sandbagging. Some probably pad their innings but the carrot just isn't there....we haven't had a team make it to Vegas in many years from our area.

We could conceiveably get close to your point range without the mandatory 6 or 7, though....we have many teams with three or four sl5's. It is rare to see any team here field a lineup that doesn't total 21 points, usually at least 22. The only reason would be players not able to make it that night.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Unfortunately it's a common request. Yes, it's sandbagging.

A lot of APA "sandbagging" is actually just the loser crying because he lost,
and he can't admit he just got outplayed by a lower ranked player.
Or ignorant players see a decent shooter dogging it, and think he's laying down
when really he just doesn't know how to close out a match.

But a few guys will try to game the system.

I've seen a lot of otherwise decent human beings get into it... guys who would drive 2 hours to pick up
a stranded buddy or lend you a grand with no questions asked and no repay date.
I was surprised at one or two of my own friends suggesting we do it.
They don't see it as cheating or robbing someone else out of potential prize money.
It's just a fun challenge, pretending to suck and trying to pass it off as natural.

I can see the appeal almost, but I just won't do it.
Don't think you should either Dundee. It's unlikely to get you anywhere anyway,
there are safeguards in place that might catch up to you, and bottom line is it's not right
to screw over the guys who are trying to advance honestly.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
APA sandbagging? Couldn't that be helpful what with all the flooding that's been happening around the country?

I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist. :smile:

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Our league doesn't have rampant sandbagging.

The skill rating system has definite flaws.

The thing that I think isn't as fair as is allowing new players in their first session compete in the MVP races to go to the MVP tournaments. If you're a 6 and you stay half a session as a 4, then the other half as a 5, well, it's kind of easy pickings for you til they get you situated skill level-wise.

We encountered that recently in our league but that's alright. Personally I'd feel the taste of mvp to be a little salty knowing I won like that.

To your question though, it sounds like definite sandbagging and I wouldn't.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their's is no you do not have to lose but jsut soft break make the rack messy get plenty innings and still win the game and you will not go up.

1. Is that correct?
2. Apart from pride why wouldn't players do that especially since you want to have a chance of winning and going to nationals teams and doubles and apparently at the nationals everyone is a sandbagger is some respect.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

I'd say if you are doing it only for the innings then yes, that's sandbagging. If you're doing it to try and prevent your opponent from having an easy rack after your break then no, I'd say that was smart and giving yourself a better shot at winning. Only the player knows, in their heart, if they are doing it for the right or wrong reasons.
I could see myself breaking soft against a really strong player, especially if I have been breaking and making nothing. Nothing to do with cheating...just trying to give myself a shot in a safety battle.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
I'd say if you are doing it only for the innings then yes, that's sandbagging. If you're doing it to try and prevent your opponent from having an easy rack after your break then no, I'd say that was smart and giving yourself a better shot at winning. Only the player knows, in their heart, if they are doing it for the right or wrong reasons.
I could see myself breaking soft against a really strong player, especially if I have been breaking and making nothing. Nothing to do with cheating...just trying to give myself a shot in a safety battle.

What about let's say if you're in a match, your opponent breaks dry - you miss, they run out. Same thing happens the next rack.

The third rack do you start giving them a loose rack?

Happened to me the other week and I lost all the respect I had for the guy I was playing. He did it twice after I ran out on him.