Aramith balls

mr_griff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any input about the different types of Aramith balls. It would be for residential use. I had pretty much assumed I'd get the Super Pro set, but now there is a tournament set that appears to be better on some infantesimal level (for the record I've never successfully used that it a sentence and haven't heard it used since Win Ben Stein's money was on Comdey Central).

I know the Premium Set goes for around 90, the Super Pro for 150 (I already have the measel CB - otherwise 170), and the Tourney set for 215. The life of the balls is not much of a factor. Playability is the main thing and cloth wear is secondary. The main thing I hate about a crummy set of balls in the cut throw that you get. A nice set of balls seems to cut a bit more true. I have a used set of aramith balls that came with my table and were probably no better than their entry level ball. The age is unknown. Anyone have a take what the best buy is?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I just got a set but have not yet played with them so I can't tell you personally at this point if they are any different than my Cents. But I have heard that they are indeed different.

Here's a recent thread that has some info: Aramith Tourneys

Especially see Fatboy's posts on page 2. He's had the set for a little while, has had a couple of "above average" players to his house, and he thinks they are not only different, but better. Makes me wonder if Brunswick will go to the new Duramith compound in it's Centennial balls.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
my friend has a tournament set, they are made of Duramith. From what I can tell, they hit just like the Super Pros. I'd stick with them as they have been around for a while.

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
For What it's Worth: I just got a set of Super Pros and am very happy with them. Although I am unable to do a side by side comparison, I used to shot with Brunswick Centennials, and these appear to be very similar.

I'm quite happy.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
For What it's Worth: I just got a set of Super Pros and am very happy with them. Although I am unable to do a side by side comparison, I used to shot with Brunswick Centennials, and these appear to be very similar.

I'm quite happy.

Agree with you 8-Ball, I think it is pretty well established that the Cents and Super Pros are the same ball except for the graphics. The Saluc website actually states that they are the same ball and since they are the manufacturer of both I think they would know.

As far as the Tournament set goes, I've not yet heard anyone say they are the same as the SuperPro/Cents, but some people have said they are different. The Saluc website seems to suggest that this new Duramith (next generation) resin is exclusive to the Tournament set.

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
my friend has a tournament set, they are made of Duramith. From what I can tell, they hit just like the Super Pros. I'd stick with them as they have been around for a while.

Like Dan said, I have both Super Pro's and the new Tournament balls. playability wise, they are identical. I haven't had either set long enough to say that their is a clear difference in how long they last or which one is more durable or cleans up better, etc...

There is obviously a big difference in price. So, unless price is not an issue for you, or you just love the look of the tournament balls, or have to have the tournament set just because they are the 'new' thing, I would advise to just go with the Super Pro set.

pocketpared

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramiths

I have a new set of Centennials, a new set of Super pros and a new set of the Duramith Tournament balls. The Duramiths have a bit of a "clacking" sound to them when racking. Fatboy said he didn't draw as well with the Duramiths and, after about 2 weeks of using them as my default balls, I tend to agree. The first thing I noticed is it seems harder to straighten the cueball when drawing off a slight angle on an object ball. As far as table wear, the black logo Duramith cueball leaves little to no white burn marks when breaking rotation games. This is a clear cut difference between these and the others. I like them and will continue to use them as my default balls.

ps...I use a Diamond ball cleaner and Meguiars cleaner wax in the red can, sans carnuba. I haven't cleaned the Duramith balls yet because I have to drag my vacuum into the basement and clean the table at the same time. Think I'll do both later tonight and see how the Duramiths play after cleaning.

mr_griff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips

My thinking is the same as JCurry. Pretty big difference in price and I'm just not sold that its that much of an upgrade at this point.

JazzMatt

Registered
Balls comparison

Hope someone can do a similar test like this with the new Duramiths and report the results.

I recently managed to borrow a set of Super Pros from my local pool room and a set of Centennials from a friend and played the two sets on 3 different tables. I found the following:

Table 1 (friend's place).
Being a private table this one had a fast, seasoned Simonis tournament grade cloth. The Cents played better here. They seemed to roll around slower than the SPs but in a controlled fashion. The SPs seemed a bit slippery.

Table 2 (my regular pool room)
Not sure what cloth used here, nicely seasoned for sure but not balding yet. The SPs actually played better here. The Cents in contrast were just plain slow and heavy! It was quite a chore to push them around.

Table 3 (another pool room)
Cheap cloth, but re-surfaced only last week :) This cloth felt strangely rough, so I expected in to be pretty slow. Instead the Cents were moving around effortlessly. The SPs were flying around all over the table, very difficult to control.

Also borrowed a digital scale and weighed all 32 balls. By and large all same. Even within the same set balls can vary by up to 3 grams. On all 3 tables, there's more draw with the measles CB, but generally straighter draw with the blue ring. Both sets just been polished, so no question about condition of the balls. Both almost pristine.

So here's my findings. Considering a set of Duramiths for Xmas, so hope someone can do something like this so I can get an idea how they play. Won't be able to take them out of the shop and "road test" them like this.

Last edited:

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have and have played with approximately 10 hrs. a week for the past three yrs. a set of Super pros I pick up brand new for $130 shipped to Hawaii. They have been pretty heavily abused at the local pool hall all play at (exposed nails in pockets etc.). They are pretty neglected for a couple hundred hrs. or so then I clean them with dish soap only as the tables I play on, while gold crowns are maintained poorly, so I just can't justify the regular cleaning.

Result they still play close to new and rack tight. All in all I am very pleased and I am sure this is the best set of balls for the $. When I have a room of my own one day these will be the balls of choice.

Again you should be able to find a set new for ~$130-$140.

Good luck with the hunt. Carl

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Hope someone can do a similar test like this with the new Duramiths and report the results.

I recently managed to borrow a set of Super Pros from my local pool room and a set of Centennials from a friend and played the two sets on 3 different tables. I found the following:

Table 1 (friend's place).
Being a private table this one had a fast, seasoned Simonis tournament grade cloth. The Cents played better here. They seemed to roll around slower than the SPs but in a controlled fashion. The SPs seemed a bit slippery.

Table 2 (my regular pool room)
Not sure what cloth used here, nicely seasoned for sure but not balding yet. The SPs actually played better here. The Cents in contrast were just plain slow and heavy! It was quite a chore to push them around.

Table 3 (another pool room)
Cheap cloth, but re-surfaced only last week :) This cloth felt strangely rough, so I expected in to be pretty slow. Instead the Cents were moving around effortlessly. The SPs were flying around all over the table, very difficult to control.

Also borrowed a digital scale and weighed all 32 balls. By and large all same. Even within the same set balls can vary by up to 3 grams. On all 3 tables, there's more draw with the measles CB, but generally straighter draw with the blue ring. Both sets just been polished, so no question about condition of the balls. Both almost pristine.

So here's my findings. Considering a set of Duramiths for Xmas, so hope someone can do something like this so I can get an idea how they play. Won't be able to take them out of the shop and "road test" them like this.

I'm not disputing your research, but the fact that you noticed so much difference between the Cents and the SAP's is interesting considering that according to Saluc they are the same ball. It has been commonly believed that the only difference is the graphics.

The Duramiths are a newer resin compound and supposedly are easier on the cloth.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comparison of different Aramith Pool Balls

The info. from Aramith is correct, both the Cent. balls and the Super Pro balls are made of the same phenolic material, just a different design. Because of the way Brunswick does the marketing of their products, Brunswick's prices are higher. That doesn't mean that Cent. balls are better than Super Pro balls.
The Tournament balls have a phenolic resin (Duramith) that is finer than Cents. or Super Pros. They should last longer and not show as much residue (white streaks), but definitely more expensive! They may have a harder surface and possibly play a little different than other sets.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Not sure if this info is still current but when Saluc first started making the Cents for Brunswick there WAS A DIFFERENCE. The Aramiths have the white and number running completely through the ball (same with the stripe) on the original Cents the numbers were a plug that was bonded in place somehow. I don't know if Saluc changed the manufacturing method for the Cents later....I'd say they probably did change since the Duramiths seem so similar to the Cents.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
F.Y.I.,
The design on the Tournament balls is EXACTLY the same as the IPT (International Pool Tour) ball sets, (slight color difference in some of the balls). I still have a couple new IPT sets and recently sold one to an AZ'r and compared both sets. The only difference is the design inside the black circle logo on the cue ball.

Not sure if this info is still current but when Saluc first started making the Cents for Brunswick there WAS A DIFFERENCE. The Aramiths have the white and number running completely through the ball (same with the stripe) on the original Cents the numbers were a plug that was bonded in place somehow. I don't know if Saluc changed the manufacturing method for the Cents later....I'd say they probably did change since the Duramiths seem so similar to the Cents.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
get the Crown set, or whatever the entry level Aramith set of balls is. not sure if its the Crown set or not? they are honed to .003 tolerance, the Super Pros and Centennials are honed to .001 tolerance. playability wise you wont notice a difference. and they are a whole lot cheaper.

DCP

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
F.Y.I.,
The design on the Tournament balls is EXACTLY the same as the IPT (International Pool Tour) ball sets, (slight color difference in some of the balls). I still have a couple new IPT sets and recently sold one to an AZ'r and compared both sets. The only difference is the design inside the black circle logo on the cue ball.

That's why the Duramiths look so familiar. I forgot all about the IPT balls.

The story I heard was with the original Saluc Cents, they had trouble maintaining the consistancy of the black circle and points all the way through the ball so they used a pre made plug instead. They must have worked out the injection/infusion issues some time ago though.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to buy a set of balls to bring to my local pool room. So you could say that there is literally no difference in the playability between the more entry level balls and the super pro balls? I'm wondering why there is such a ridiculous price difference, I'm thinking of getting the Premium Belgium Aramith Balls instead of the Super Pro balls, what do you think?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a set but have not yet played with them so I can't tell you personally at this point if they are any different than my Cents. But I have heard that they are indeed different.

Here's a recent thread that has some info: Aramith Tourneys

Especially see Fatboy's posts on page 2. He's had the set for a little while, has had a couple of "above average" players to his house, and he thinks they are not only different, but better. Makes me wonder if Brunswick will go to the new Duramith compound in it's Centennial balls.

Just a few "above average players" have came over, LOL they are great balls. Some of the Above Average players dont like the CB that comes with the tournemnt balls, It's heavy and we have crack the hell out of it useing it in just a few sessions of any game with a hard break using a phenolic tip. For 1P its the greatest CB ever more a few above average players said as much. But its soft. as for the balls themselfs, I dont need to run them in the Diamond ball polisher as often, they stay shiny 3 times longer than Centennials I'd guess-from my experience only. I really like them, I have used the measal ball and blue circle with them and they play great. They are my favorite balls on the market today. they are MICH better than the other Aramith balls and a hair better than Centennnials. I have every brand and model of balls here. I like to try everything-thats fun for me to learn about different products.

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What it's all about?

Anyone have any input about the different types of Aramith balls. It would be for residential use. I had pretty much assumed I'd get the Super Pro set, but now there is a tournament set that appears to be better on some infantesimal level (for the record I've never successfully used that it a sentence and haven't heard it used since Win Ben Stein's money was on Comdey Central).

I know the Premium Set goes for around 90, the Super Pro for 150 (I already have the measel CB - otherwise 170), and the Tourney set for 215. The life of the balls is not much of a factor. Playability is the main thing and cloth wear is secondary. The main thing I hate about a crummy set of balls in the cut throw that you get. A nice set of balls seems to cut a bit more true. I have a used set of aramith balls that came with my table and were probably no better than their entry level ball. The age is unknown. Anyone have a take what the best buy is?

Isn't it interesting, that you've asked a very straight forward question, which requires each person to state their personal preference, based on their opinion and that "the science" of it all, isn't even the biggest reason for their choice? I've always believed the shear beauty of the balls equates, somehow, to ones interest in the game. At least that seems true if your exposed to pool when your a kid. Anyway, just wanted to share that observation.

I collect all of my favorite ball sets. After all is said and done, for my 2-cents worth, the Super Aramith Pro's are the best all around buy! If a better ball was never invented, if you were playing with the Super Aramith Pro's, you'd probably never even care! The balls look great, play consistently, the numbers are large and legible, and they roll "SUPER."

Having said all that, I adore the look of Centennials. Having grown-up in pool when Centennials were the best ball around, I'm prejudiced I think. This I know, they'll probably keep making new ball sets, but if they are still using the phenolic resin, choosing any of the high end Saluc ball sets, is a no-brainer!

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
get the Crown set, or whatever the entry level Aramith set of balls is. not sure if its the Crown set or not? they are honed to .003 tolerance, the Super Pros and Centennials are honed to .001 tolerance. playability wise you wont notice a difference. and they are a whole lot cheaper.

DCP

I'm looking to buy a set of balls to bring to my local pool room. So you could say that there is literally no difference in the playability between the more entry level balls and the super pro balls? I'm wondering why there is such a ridiculous price difference, I'm thinking of getting the Premium Belgium Aramith Balls instead of the Super Pro balls, what do you think?

DrCue'sProtege is incorrect. In addition to the looser tolerances, the Crown Standards are not made from Phenolic resin.
I was going to mention the premiums prior to reading your post Vincent. What I tell people who come to my shop looking for a new set of balls is that the Premiums are the best ball for the money. They are the lowest price phenolic resin balls. 99% of pool players will not notice a difference between them and the Super Pro's.

-Mike