Archer and Oscar talk it out live today at 3:00 CST

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its really sad to see the demise of Johnny Archer. A former player of the decade, and unarguably one of the best American players ever.

Now he's in his mid fifties with bad credit and no money, and publicly embarrassed with committing one of Pool's mortal sins.

You would think a rich fan boy (EP) would of bailed him out of this embarrassment before the shit hit the fan, but apparently Johnny has burned all of his bridges behind him.

This is clearly Johnny's problem...but clearly another black eye for American pool. The debt is so ridiculously small, I'm just amazed some of the poker money in the pool world didn't squash this a long time ago.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Its really sad to see the demise of Johnny Archer. A former player of the decade, and unarguably one of the best American players ever.

Now he's in his mid fifties with bad credit and no money, and publicly embarrassed with committing one of Pool's mortal sins.

You would think a rich fan boy (EP) would of bailed him out of this embarrassment before the shit hit the fan, but apparently Johnny has burned all of his bridges behind him.

This is clearly Johnny's problem...but clearly another black eye for American pool. The debt is so ridiculously small, I'm just amazed some of the poker money in the pool world didn't squash this a long time ago.
Nobody but a sucker would pay off another man's debt. That would be more embarrassing than the current situation

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's clearly a pool players mentality. Quality human beings help their friends all the time.

If I had more money than I can count...6500 or whatever the paltry amount Oscar is owed ...its probably in my couch cushions.

I'm not suggesting I'm in that situation...but the above mentioned brags about it all the time....when he's not shooting defenseless elephants in Asia.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is sad on so many levels. JA uses his kids as an excuse for not paying this debt, when the debt should be paid because of his kids if he cared about his legacy at all. I'm hoping he pulls himself out of this.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny is like a cut-rate Aaron Rodgers deciding to go on a podcast just to make himself look like a douche. What is it with these dumb jocks who think they're smarter than they really are?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One also has to ask where was this match? Was gambling legal in that state? Sanctioned event?

We all know gambling happens and happens where it is illegal.

Heck, AZB still allows the sale of ivory cues. If it wasn't a big deal then why are sellers disguising the ivory as "the good stuff".

Gambling with friends is generally not illegal as long as everyone plays on a level playing field (i.e. nobody has an advantage) and nobody is paid to organize the event.

It becomes a problem when people don't claim the winnings on their tax returns.

I have no input regarding the ivory sales except, it wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Flakeandrun

I thought this would be🍿 but actually it's more 😴
You bet money, you pay it...
All this drama is clearly to instigate a future match up, and to get anyone to reach into their pockets and contribute to that upcoming pot.
Probably could have paid the debt, as a non-US, with little experience of the 'hustle' - I reckon both these guys are using self-made drama to fleece the lot of you.

L.S. Dennis

I watched it on YouTube and read all the comments thus far. I don't really know what else to say that hasn't already been said. Sad thing for Archer if he can't even raise $6500 to put this thing to bed! I will say the one negative on Oscar's part was when he said "He put his family over mine" which was a stupid thing to say. Of course you are going to put your family over someone else's he would do the same damn thing! I'm willing to believe that Archer was sincere when he said he intends to pay Oscar back at least I hope so. For Archer to compete against today's crop of players he's got a big hill to climb, it ain't easy when you're in your 50's and above just ask Earl!

billb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this would be🍿 but actually it's more 😴
You bet money, you pay it...
All this drama is clearly to instigate a future match up, and to get anyone to reach into their pockets and contribute to that upcoming pot.
Probably could have paid the debt, as a non-US, with little experience of the 'hustle' - I reckon both these guys are using self-made drama to fleece the lot of you.
I respectfully disagree. Oscar seems genuine and simply wants paid. I do not believe for a second that he is part of a bigger hustle here. His position was consistent.

Archer seems evasive and outside of admitting what he simply cannot deny, he had every excuse he could. He deflected to other parties, reasons, etc.

He seems to be genuine regarding his children and much respect to his feelings in that regard. BUT, if he truly desires to be a good father and a provider, he would find some sort of income even if it means working two jobs that he may consider outside of the pride of a of champion pool player.

At this point, he argues that he wants to be a good dad (which seems very true) with liberal custody and/or visitation yet he, by his own admission, has “no money”. If that’s his situation and he isn’t doing whatever it takes to remedy it, he isn’t doing enough. The whole world is hiring!!!! The net of his ”want” vs his actual action is that he is likely self serving and the situation with his kids, though probably very legit, became a convenient excuse to kick the can down the road.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member

Speaking of poker, Josh Ariah was one of the guys burnt by Johnny on this. He only had a small stake but he was pissed. JA was the most pissed at Ariah, who was one of the first to go public shaming him.

Ariah has won $12.3M playing poker: https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=5703

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I feel sorry for Johnny. Down on his luck for sure.

Silly question: if the pool thing is no longer working out for him, why doesn't he just get a job somewhere? I believe the unemployment rate is still at historic lows. I'm pretty sure he could make 40-50K without looking too hard. If I was in dept, had no money, I may even get two jobs until I get on my feet. If this dept was 500K, that's overwhelming, but his debt to Oscar is not overwhelming. Get a job or two and pay it off in two months.
Did you just say poolplayer and job in the same sentence?? Good luck with that. ;)

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's because they are idiots except Oscar.

They are trying to hype up something from a decade ago. LOL

Do you think there is animosity between these two? They are both in a fraternity of making money in the pool business. Hurting one guy's reputation or fueling the hate is bad for business for them both.

Is there any surprise this is just a civil conversation between two guys. That money isn't much. It is probably long forgotten.

Archer describes the situation as if it was just some normal match. Like no big deal. I lost the match and I just didn't pay him. Period. LOL
Not a decade .3years.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Well, I feel sorry for Johnny. Down on his luck for sure.

Silly question: if the pool thing is no longer working out for him, why doesn't he just get a job somewhere? I believe the unemployment rate is still at historic lows. I'm pretty sure he could make 40-50K without looking too hard. If I was in dept, had no money, I may even get two jobs until I get on my feet. If this dept was 500K, that's overwhelming, but his debt to Oscar is not overwhelming. Get a job or two and pay it off in two months.
Some guys just “can’t” hold a job down. They can work just fine, but they are always, always between jobs. If you’ve ever been to a pool hall in America, there’s like 2-3 of these guys bumming around any given room.

Johnny kept framing it as the choice between the money and seeing his kids. He might be so hopelessly behind on child support he’ll never realistically pay it off. Pure speculation on my part though.

This just came off as sad and Johnny and Oscar couldn’t be different people to me. Oscar seemed to have his shit together. Johnny is out in the wilderness.

One of the greatest 9 ballers ever doesn’t have two Pennies to rub together. Just sad.

“At first pool was my passion, then it was my job, and now it is my sentence.”