Are safeties must be called at 10ball?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your oppononent call the 3ball at left corner pocket,missed the 3 and you end up hooked,snookered.Do you think that its in your decision if you play or pass the shot to him?or you must play although he leave you a lucky safe?
what is the WPA rules say about it?:embarrassed2:

They played a season of 10-Ball where safeties muct be called. But now the US pro tour has dropped that rule. So you no longer have to call a safety which brought back the double shot, where you could call a bank or such and hook the cue ball with shape for the next shot in case the low percentage shot drops. I like the current rule best.

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Ah I see what you're saying.

Yeah, I've also seen nine ball matches where that rule has been applied. Don't think I'd enjoy the game as much though playing that way. ...I mean you're going to face every tough shot knowing that if you miss, there's absolutely no chance of finishing safe. OK it takes lucky leaves out the game, but it also takes a bit of excitement out too: As the other guy can always give the shot back, you know that the player at the table is in a weaker position the moment you see that he's missed, whereas normally you have to wait till all the material balls have stopped rolling before you know if he's got away with the miss or not. Those extra few seconds of uncertainty add a bit of drama and tension to the game which to me makes it more fun to play and watch.
you can also pass on any of his lucky leaves

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Luther Blissett

on the clapham omnibus
Silver Member
you can also pass on any of his lucky leaves

Yeah I realise that. But that's what I'm saying: If you know that the other guy can always pass on a lucky leave, then in a way there's no such thing as a lucky leave any more*, so the moment you see a player miss, you know he's in a worse position even before the rest of the balls have finished rolling. If it weren't for that rule, there'd be an extra few moments of drama while you wait to see the final table layout in case a player ends up with a lucky snooker.

*I suppose the best you can hope for now is a leave which is tempting but uncertain, thereby giving the other play a bit of a hard choice about whether to pass back or not.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many here by chance also play Golf? When you read the rules for that game and play tourny's under the rules--there are the same where ever you go. That should be the same for pool in my book--and to a previous poster--your right on, we would spend hours and hours shooting spot shots from not only on one place all the time , but in different area's behind the headstring to perfect our cue control and outcome--never did we have ball in hand on the nine--if scratched and it was behind the line , it went upon the spot.
Working with TV biz exectives to make pool faster has taken some from what the game is all about--The last real pool that one can see anymore is from a straight pool tourny, and they don't show those on TV--not around here anywhere--

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
I believe in order to make 10 ball or nineball a better game luck should be eliminated as much as possible. If I shot a shot and miss but hook my opponent he or she shouldn't be penalized because of my miss. They should have the option to pass the shot back.
I agree .You catch on my meaning

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Yeah I realise that. But that's what I'm saying: If you know that the other guy can always pass on a lucky leave, then in a way there's no such thing as a lucky leave any more*, so the moment you see a player miss, you know he's in a worse position even before the rest of the balls have finished rolling. If it weren't for that rule, there'd be an extra few moments of drama while you wait to see the final table layout in case a player ends up with a lucky snooker.

*I suppose the best you can hope for now is a leave which is tempting but uncertain, thereby giving the other play a bit of a hard choice about whether to pass back or not.
I consider that to be a part of the challenge.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
Its a noble idea but I don't agree that golf rules are the same everywhere. From my experience they vary a great deal just in between pool halls across town. I've seen probably a dozen variants of golf rules. Some with subtle differences, some that vary a great deal.

As for your view on 9 ball, the game has evolved and its not going back. You would be hard pressed to find many players that even know the true push out rules. Even on here the old guys that did play it remember different sets of rules.

How many here by chance also play Golf? When you read the rules for that game and play tourny's under the rules--there are the same where ever you go. That should be the same for pool in my book--and to a previous poster--your right on, we would spend hours and hours shooting spot shots from not only on one place all the time , but in different area's behind the headstring to perfect our cue control and outcome--never did we have ball in hand on the nine--if scratched and it was behind the line , it went upon the spot.

Working with TV biz exectives to make pool faster has taken some from what the game is all about--The last real pool that one can see anymore is from a straight pool tourny, and they don't show those on TV--not around here anywhere--

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Its a noble idea but I don't agree that golf rules are the same everywhere. From my experience they vary a great deal just in between pool halls across town. I've seen probably a dozen variants of golf rules.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

I think they were talking about the actual Rules of Golf and Decisions as governed by the USGA and R&A.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The OP asked about the WPA rule and in the situation he described, if no balls went down, the incoming shooter must take the balls in position.

As far as I know, the WPA hasn't amended the rules to include an alternative set where you can give the table back on any miss.

Some events, like the Tony Robles/Predator events, play option on any miss. Hopkins SBE has played it both ways in recent years, I believe most recently with the option on any miss as a concession to the players "union" that prefers it that way. But this is not in the WPA rule set.

The interesting thing is that in response to the question posed in the thread title, you do not ever have to call a safety under WPA rules. The reason being that even if you call a safety, if a ball goes down the incoming player has the option. You cannot call a safety, pocket a ball, and force your opponent to take the table in position. The treatment is exactly the same as missing a shot - if a ball falls incoming player has the option; if no ball falls incoming player takes table as is. Thus no need to call a safety under WPA rules.

Essentially the two rule sets come down to whether you want to do away with the two-way shot in order to do away with the occasional accidental (oopsy, sorry about that) snooker.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief. :rolleyes:

When did they make that rule change?

When I learnt the rules of ten ball it was from someone with an official ref's qualification, so either he doesn't deserve his certificate or that change came in since he taught me.

I think it was a rule change for the tournament..pool rules are pretty liquid lol always changing.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's because there is ONE pro golf tour not 30 random tournaments. When there was a real pro tour, they had the same rules in every tournament. If there is ever a real pro pool tour, they will have the same rules in all of their events.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...we would spend hours and hours shooting spot shots from not only on one place all the time , but in different area's behind the headstring to perfect our cue control and outcome--never did we have ball in hand on the nine...

When we were bored we used to bet on them. We'd have pot games of 4 or more players, winner take all. Each guy got 15 tries. Whoever made the most out of 15 took the pot. Every time you made one you had to switch pockets. This kept you from getting in a rhythm going to the same hole.

The spot shot is a dying art. :(