Ariel Carmeli Cues?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Koop, The combo you suggest would look real good especially with paua shell or MOP inlays and the right veneer combination. You need something that harmonizes well with the bocote brown.

Martin

Koop said:
I love bocote and really love the look with ebony points. Very sharp looking cue.

My only problem is that I prefer SS joints and don't know how that combo would look?

Regards,
Koop

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
pip9ball said:
Hi,

I've seen some really nice looking Carmeli cues on the internet but have never had the chance to hit with one of his cues. Can somebody describe the hit of his cues and compare against other top cue makes. Im looking at getting one with an Ivory joint and a balance point ~ 18.5-19" from the butt. I currently play with an Espiritu and want a cue with more forward balance and a bit more feedback when striking the cue ball. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

pip9ball

Corey Harper is a pro level player (CrowncityCorey on A-Z) who had a later model Carmeli cue. I tried it out - the cue was perfectly fine all the way around. Corey played great with the cue too. It was also a very well made cue, beautiful workmanship, balance, etc. (Corey sold me my JW years ago - we played with similar cue specs).

Anyway, I think he had it for sale for under $1000. I thought it was a steal.

There are just way too many cue makers. Just because someone is not in the top 10 doesn't mean they aren't excellent cue makers.

Chris

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
Corey Harper is a pro level player (CrowncityCorey on A-Z) who had a later model Carmeli cue. I tried it out - the cue was perfectly fine all the way around. Corey played great with the cue too. It was also a very well made cue, beautiful workmanship, balance, etc. (Corey sold me my JW years ago - we played with similar cue specs).

Anyway, I think he had it for sale for under $1000. I thought it was a steal.

There are just way too many cue makers. Just because someone is not in the top 10 doesn't mean they aren't excellent cue makers.

Chris

One of the best posts I have read.......This is absolutely true. All it takes is a band of fanatics to make a cuemaker sound like the next szamboti. I have seen many cues from what we like to call "unknown, or up and coming" cue makers that are better made with better playability than a bigger name. I'm not here to name names of who I think is overrated but I do think there are a few ceus out there that play just as good and might even be just as well made as some of the superstar cuemakers. But yet, no one knows of them and their prices are extremely low because their name isn't a household one. Personally I have had a cue from almost every cuemaker except maybe the really high ends.....(Hercek, Gina, Szam, and Tasc....) but I've owned Gilberts, Judds, Scruggs, Tads, Murrells, Buss', Stroud's, and many others. There are many excellent cuemakers out there and believe me when I say that Ariel has been on my want to buy list for some time now....

Tony

Zylr Cue

Registered
X-rays of cues!!!

Fart sniffer said:
I have had about 10 of them and they all hit well. Have known Ariel since Best Billiard days, he is a good guy, won't let a cue out unless it's done right and he doesn't cut corners. He is a cuemaker though and his sense of time is somewhat warped, but for cues he makes a good a cue as anyone.

He studied x-rays of all the great cuemakers while at Best Billiards and knows a lot of the current makers. His designs are attractive in my book and they hit as good as they look. He makes a lot of cues for J & J america and they sell his cues in Taiwan also, hear a certain amount even go to Japan.

The only X-ray of a cue that Ariel ever saw were the ones that I brought in to Best Billiards when we worked in the same shop doing repairs. As a matter of fact, most of your quotes are from MY bio in the second ediition of the "Blue Book of Cues". I can't begin to imagine where you got the idea that Ariel ever studied x-rays. It is an unfortunate fact that when 2 cue makers work under the same roof that their accomplishments are often confused by people that are trying to impress other people with how much THEY know. I try very hard not to talk about other cue builders unless I have something very unique to point out and compliment. For some of us, cue building is a labor of love that we are constantly trying to improve upon. For others it's all about money and getting as much as fast as they can. I will not point fingers as each cue builder knows which catagory they belong in. My best advise is to play with any cue that you intend on buying before you buy it. That was one of the best parts of working at Best Billiards. No matter what type of cue you bought there, you always got to shoot with it first. Takeing a custom order always presupposed that the customer knew EXACTLY what they wanted.
This post was brought to my attention by someone else so I thought I'd better clear this one up before it got any further. Take care and shoot straight. Kerry Z.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zylr Cue said:
The only X-ray of a cue that Ariel ever saw were the ones that I brought in to Best Billiards when we worked in the same shop doing repairs. As a matter of fact, most of your quotes are from MY bio in the second ediition of the "Blue Book of Cues". I can't begin to imagine where you got the idea that Ariel ever studied x-rays. It is an unfortunate fact that when 2 cue makers work under the same roof that their accomplishments are often confused by people that are trying to impress other people with how much THEY know. I try very hard not to talk about other cue builders unless I have something very unique to point out and compliment. For some of us, cue building is a labor of love that we are constantly trying to improve upon. For others it's all about money and getting as much as fast as they can. I will not point fingers as each cue builder knows which catagory they belong in. My best advise is to play with any cue that you intend on buying before you buy it. That was one of the best parts of working at Best Billiards. No matter what type of cue you bought there, you always got to shoot with it first. Takeing a custom order always presupposed that the customer knew EXACTLY what they wanted.
This post was brought to my attention by someone else so I thought I'd better clear this one up before it got any further. Take care and shoot straight. Kerry Z.

Why say anything??? Nothing at all was said negatively about you at all.

Sorry but I think you were out of line with your post. What exactly did you clear the air about that regarded you. Joey even stated that
you studied many cuemakers work using X-rays.

For the record I think Ariels cues play well and that his work is very good.
I also think that your cues play well and do good work. IMO both of you
are overpriced but the price is set by us, the consumers so it cant be wrong.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Sorry Mr. Zylr, I didn't quote from the Blue Book, I quoted from my memory. I worked at Best before you got there and before Ariel really started making cues, while he was still doing cue repair after he was taught by Robert Wong.

Never did I state anything about you or YOUR X-rays, for all I know they WERE your X-rays, I just didn't see your name on them. It's fine, the air is clear in your book which makes me happy.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still don't see the relevance of these X-Rays?
What did it prove? Not trying to be argumentative but I really want to know.

And if these X-Rays showed that some top makers are putting out bad quality cues why wouldn't it be ok to say so? Actually I think it would be wrong to not say so.

Just asking,
Koop

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Fart sniffer said:
Sorry Mr. Zylr, I didn't quote from the Blue Book, I quoted from my memory. I worked at Best before you got there and before Ariel really started making cues, while he was still doing cue repair after he was taught by Robert Wong.

Never did I state anything about you or YOUR X-rays, for all I know they WERE your X-rays, I just didn't see your name on them. It's fine, the air is clear in your book which makes me happy.

Am I hearing this right:confused: You are saying that Robert Wong taught Ariel how to make cues??
Koop, I think the Xray thing was to determine how good cues were made. Not to find the bad ones.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Sorry that I wasn't clear, Robert taught Ariel how to repair cues. Robert then became or was the store manager so the cue repair was left to Ariel who in turn wanted to start making cues. Like everyone else he started out with sneaky pete's, plain cues and such and eventually broke off on his own after Best closed down.

pharaoh68

Banned
And for the record, I would simply like to state that I NEVER said Ariel was a bad or substandard cuemaker. I simply tried to reinforce the idea that no one should buy a cue without picking up several and trynig them out. As well, I also thought it important to try and negate the idea that Ariel Carmeli's cues were "comparable to Jerry Franklin South Wests". To me, that's just kind of a silly statement. Fanklin Southwest are regarded by many to be the best playing cues out there. And I have NEVER heard anyone make that claim about a Carmeli.

They play nicely. Don't get me wrong. And they may not be my cup of tea but certainly there are plenty of people that love them.

mbkpool

Registered
I currently own an AC cue. One of the best looking cues own. As for hit, it does play a lot like my southwest. The radial probably has a lot to do with that. Well made cue. I play with a Webb. Hit is all personal preference and I think his cues play better than anyones, and I've played with just about every "name" cue there is. Make sure to hit balls with any cue before you buy it. Hit as well as looks are subjective. Buy what you like, not what someone tells you.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mbkpool said:
I play with a Webb. Hit is all personal preference and I think his cues play better than anyones, and I've played with just about every "name" cue there is.

I concur. In my opinion Mike's cues play as good or better than any I have played with which is why I have one coming in a month and I'm already specking out my next :D

Koop - addicted to Webb cues

Last edited: