Armor All on Shaft

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever tried using Armor All to make the shaft slicker? I've been using Pledge and even though that helps I don't know if it or Armor All will cause any problems with my cue.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever tried using Armor All to make the shaft slicker? I've been using Pledge and even though that helps I don't know if it or Armor All will cause any problems with my cue.

Dear Zeus noooooo.... jk.

I assume you mean the upholstery protectant? And is this to go on the bare wood for your shaft, or is your shaft coated?

It doubt it will by any means destroy your shaft (I don't know), but it will soak into the wood and contaminate it to a point where it (silicone) can't be removed. Any gained slickness will go away since the shaft will still get dirty and fouled, and I don't think that silicone will help keep it clean for longer.

The silicone will possibly make it more difficult for future coatings to stick, like wax. It's not like the wax will come flaking off, but it may mean waxing more often (maybe it's not even noticeable). I would think you are far better off with going with a good cleaning, burnishing, and if desired waxing.

If burnishing waxing seems high-maint, I'm not sure Amor All will save you from having to do that, and in the end I don't think it will be much slicker, if any at all. Just my two-cents.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I'm wondering if using any of those car polishing products would damage the cue shaft? :confused:

BugHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Armor All on a car interior gets gummy and like tar after years of time. It also breaks down plastics into a sticky gooey mess. Yes, it takes a while for that to happen. It would be the last thing I'd stick on my cue. I won't ever use it on a car again, and have not for decades. jmo.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never could understand why anyone would want to put a substance on the shaft to make it slick. When chemicals interact with the oils from your hand, the result is a gooey mess. Do players enjoy having gooey, oily hands? Even the littlest bit of silicon leaves a residue on the wood and does transfer to your hand.

In all the years I'm playing, I have found that the best way to treat and keep a shaft slick is to just burnish it with no chemicals and keep a towel nearby to regularly wipe it down. Clean it frequently to keep chalk dust out.

Last edited:

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, thanks everyone for your help. I was looking at some automotive products and when I saw the Armor All I just wondered if it would work on a cue shaft to make it slicker. So, the verdict is in and no Armor All for me. :smile:

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
What about automotive sealant and wax? I've been using automotive wax and my cue shafts still seems fine though.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best thing I found for a smooth stroke is..... a glove! I do get mocked though when I wear one.

If you're just looking for slickness, you can't go wrong with a micro fibre cloth, and leather to burnish. To remove grease and grime I may put a drop of rubbing alcohol on the micro fibre. My shafts are super smooth, but maybe a bit blue for some people's tastes

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Respectfully disagree with Fran. Occasional cleaning of the shaft with reduce buildup of oil, chalk and contaminants. Lots of threads on cleaning available. Stick with pledge for now till you go though them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Armor All on a car interior gets gummy and like tar after years of time. It also breaks down plastics into a sticky gooey mess. Yes, it takes a while for that to happen. It would be the last thing I'd stick on my cue. I won't ever use it on a car again, and have not for decades. jmo.

I agree about using it even on a car. Too many cases of it causing damage or discoloration, so what's the point?

I wouldn't use it on a cue.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a towel and a piece of leather. I never put any chemicals on the shaft. I find that if my shaft starts getting a little sticky, a visit to the restroom to wash my hands and the shaft is as slick as glass again.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a towel and a piece of leather. I never put any chemicals on the shaft. I find that if my shaft starts getting a little sticky, a visit to the restroom to wash my hands and the shaft is as slick as glass again.

This post is what I do too.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally take a new shaft and coat it with 10 coats of automotive carnuba wax and let it dry for several hours before buffing for the first time.

Then after about 5 cleanings I will add another coat.

The wax helps prevent oils and crud from entering the wood grain, and make it almost unnecessary to use any talc for a smooth gliding stroke.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
Transference

is the problem with both Armor-All and Pledge.
You put the Pledge on the shaft.
It transfers to your bridging fingers.
Your bridging fingers contact the cloth.
The pledge gets in the cloth.
The balls roll on the cloth.
The pledge gets on the balls.

SKIIIIDDDDDDddddd.. . . . . .

RBC

Deceased
I think it's good to have the cue shaft cleaned and sealed by a cue smith.

If, after that, you still find that it's sticky, go wash your hands.

You would be amazed at how smooth and clean your shaft will feel when your hands are clean. Oil builds up on your hands, stuff sticks to it, and your hands are not smooth at all. A good washing with hot water and soap will surprise you.

Here's what I do.

I wash my hands with as hot of water as I can get or stand. I take a few paper towels and dry my hands. I don't throw them away just yet. I take a few clean dry paper towels and the damp ones used to dry my hands with me when I go back to my cue. I wipe one, one time, down the shaft with the damp towels and then immediately wipe with the dry ones. Of course, you don't want wet towels, just slightly damp.

Try this and I think you'll stop looking for anything else.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's good to have the cue shaft cleaned and sealed by a cue smith.

If, after that, you still find that it's sticky, go wash your hands.

You would be amazed at how smooth and clean your shaft will feel when your hands are clean. Oil builds up on your hands, stuff sticks to it, and your hands are not smooth at all. A good washing with hot water and soap will surprise you.

Here's what I do.

I wash my hands with as hot of water as I can get or stand. I take a few paper towels and dry my hands. I don't throw them away just yet. I take a few clean dry paper towels and the damp ones used to dry my hands with me when I go back to my cue. I wipe one, one time, down the shaft with the damp towels and then immediately wipe with the dry ones. Of course, you don't want wet towels, just slightly damp.

Try this and I think you'll stop looking for anything else.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com
Try cold water..... You might like the difference in feel. ;)
Chuck