august west coast road trip- where should I go?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
driving down from seattle to monterey the first two weeks of august
going to be camping and seeing some sights, wouldn't mind checking out some pool
main interests there would be visiting historic pool places, and watching high-level play
are there any cool out-of-the-way spots/hidden gems? where should I go?

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
driving down from seattle to monterrey the first two weeks of august
going to be camping and seeing some sights, wouldn't mind checking out some pool
main interests there would be visiting historic pool places, and watching high-level play

If you are near Salem, OR:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is that anywhere near salinas?
How would I know?!
Screenshot_20240508-091732.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is that anywhere near salinas?
1715202103934.png

I would not recommend it unless you generally like the desert.

driving down from seattle to monterrey the first two weeks of august
In California we spell Monterey with one R. Monterrey is a little farther on, so be careful if you are using google maps.

I think there is more to see if you come down US 101, including the aforementioned Buffalo Billiards in Petaluma. Just before Petaluma, you will go past Doghouse Billiards in Cotati, which was the first iteration of Buffalo Billiards.

A simple manual google search along your route will show some other possibilities, such as Bobalou Billiards in Roseburg, Oregon. If you ask Google Maps for a route, you can then search for pool halls along that route. Sometimes it works.

Family Billiards in San Francisco
California Billiards in Fremont
Fast Eddy's in Capitola
Easy Street in Monterey -- where one of the JS's ran 626 and the table is still there.

Sacramento (Hardtimes and the Jointed Cue) is on the I-5 route.

Last edited:

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
A buddy of mine just opened his new pool room in Windsor, Ca which is an hour north of SF and only 20 minutes north of Buffalo Billiards.

Literally just opened in the last week or two. Should do well.

Definitely go by Buffalo Billiards in Petaluma and check out how the owner has used antique tables to build his bar, the numerous antique and memorabilia items displayed on the walls.

sbrownn

Registered
The Great Entertainer in San Mateo:
2028 S El Camino Real, San Mateo, CA 94403

I used to work here in high school in the 80s when they were in Concord, CA. They had over 20 GCIII tables, a snooker table and 2 carom tables.

sbrownn

Registered
There are also 2 McMenamins on or near I-5 that have a lot of character, history and great vibe:

McMenamins Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
112 N Tower Ave, Centralia, WA 98531-4220

McMenamins Anderson School - The Woodshop
18607 Bothell Way NE, Bothell, WA 98011

sbrownn

Registered
There are also 2 McMenamins on or near I-5 that have a lot of character, history and great vibe:

McMenamins Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
112 N Tower Ave, Centralia, WA 98531-4220

McMenamins Anderson School - The Woodshop
18607 Bothell Way NE, Bothell, WA 98011
I would recommend the Olympic club for lunch and some pool as it is not many hours out of Seattle (going south or coming back up north, right off I-5) and you can go to the Anderson School anytime since you live in the Seattle area.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend the Olympic club for lunch and some pool as it is not many hours out of Seattle (going south or coming back up north, right off I-5) and you can go to the Anderson School anytime since you live in the Seattle area.

interesting..I've been to the anderson school, but it was so busy checking out the tables wasn't an option. anyway, thanks- will make a note to go back on an off time(y)