Band saw care and maintenance

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up a 6 month old Laguna 1412 bandsaw locally via craigslist. I was eyeing the 14BX model but this one was too good to pass up.

This is my first "big" bandsaw and I would like to get some experienced folks ideas about how to keep it in tip-top shape. Anything I should know that would be different from a small 9 inch bandsaw? I normally release the tension on the blade when not in use and I use saw blade lubricant everytime I am done using the saw. Also, vacuum as much dust from the saw. Any other tips?

Also, it came with two new 1/2 laguna proforce blades. Do i need the 3/4 blade for resawing? the thickest I would resaw would probably 8 inches. Any recommendations on which blade is good and affordable. The laguna resaw blade $150 is not an option for me right now. I am considering Highland woodworking wood slicer blade. are these any good?

Thanks.

Last edited:

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not site if you can get bearing guides for that model but if you can it makes a world of difference when resawing. Also Timber wolf bandsaw blades are great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start with a visual inspection, look at belts and blades, look at the wheels and guides, make sure nothing is cracked or bent. Rinse off old oil and grease and re lube everything.
If you want to be more thorough, check the run out on the wheels. Bandsaws are pretty basic in design.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Not site if you can get bearing guides for that model but if you can it makes a world of difference when resawing. Also Timber wolf bandsaw blades are great.

I have to politely disagree with you on this one, overpriced and they don't cut very well compared to a WoodSlicer. When I got the WoodSlicer blades I was cutting ebony like butter, both blades are not even from the same planet. If you don't believe me try one and you will see what I am talking about.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades705to137.aspx

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to politely disagree with you on this one, overpriced and they don't cut very well compared to a WoodSlicer. When I got the WoodSlicer blades I was cutting ebony like butter, both blades are not even from the same planet. If you don't believe me try one and you will see what I am talking about.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades705to137.aspx
Haven't heard of them but I just ordered a couple. How long do they last you?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The biggest thing, IMO, when buying blades is knowing which blade type to buy. One should, IMO, call and ask questions before buying. I called Suffolk Machine, described what I wanted to cut, how thick etc. and they recommended the blade for that application. I was cutting phenolic 1.5" thick. It cut like a dream, and it is also the same blade recommended for 1.5 - 2" thick hardwoods too. I just cut up a beam from an old building and it cut right thru 3 old style square nails and kept on cutting. Timberwolf are good blades and would recommend them.
Dave

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can I clean the table bed

There are some scratches on the table bed. What can I do to remove it. What product do you guys use to seal the bed? I have Bostik Blade Cote - can this be used?

Here are some pics:

20170312_112402_resized.jpg

20170312_104229_resized.jpg

20170312_105404_001_resized.jpg

20170312_105419_resized.jpg

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carter videos are great to determine the setup of your bandsaw. I added bearings, tensioner, and fence to my 14". All great improvements. I also have had all if those blades. The the resaw king from Laguna is king. They are worth the price.

Jim.

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips and blade recommendations. I managed to clean up the table using mineral spirits and WD-40. I am going with Minwax paste wax to seal the bed following the recommendation from the Laguna installation video I saw.

Someone posted this a few years ago. I saved the link. Hopefully this will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Great video! One thing that the guy said on the video was to put the deepest part of the gullet on the center of the wheel. However, the Laguna installation video suggested that the blade needs to be centered on the wheel.

It's a good idea to post a sign next to power switch reminding you to retension blade....seriously.

I agree 100%. Once I start using the machine I will have signs everywhere! :D

That saw looks brand new.

It is 7 months old. I was already set on the 14BX model and had already convinced the wife to buy it for me for Christmas but this guy had to ruin my plans and post this one on craigslist. :D I sure do wish this one had the brakes. It's kind of scary to me how long it takes for the blade to go full stop after you turn it off - I need to really pay attention to this machine.