Banking on Diamond vs Gold Crown

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Why? What causes the difference?

I'm not crazy about the deep shelf as it has always seemed to me that a ball hit down the rail at pocket speed should drop. JMO

The rails are all different, GC, Diamond Blue, Red. GC have a softer rubber, so the rail compresses more, holding the ball for a longer period of time, causing the ball to bank wider. Some shots are possible on one table, and not on another. You don't need a new banking system for a Diamond, or a GC, you just need to understand the concept and adjust your shot. Like was said earlier, it's long vs short. IMO, neither is better than the other, you either you get it or you don't. Some people don't so they ***** about one table vs the other, or will only gamble on one table vs the other. Its just nit BS.

On a side note, I am not table mechanic, or table expert. The above statement is simply my understanding of the way the rails work. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Here is some more info http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=195282

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's crazy some of the things you can do banking on a Diamond. You can shorten/stiff banks at angles that are impossible on a Gold Crown. Banking a ball that is above the side pocket with the cue ball below it, you must way over cut the ball to make it cross side. You can forget about trying to make the long three-railer that's so much fun on a GC. I'll never figure that one out on a Diamond. You can throw away the diamond system on this table and just improvise to your heart's content. :thumbup:

One last thing. If the object ball is on the rail within an inch of the side pocket, don't even try to bank it. It might go anywhere, including up your pants leg. :wink:

Also, pretty much impossible to make a two rail bank cross side. No telling how it will come off the second rail. Or maybe I just play bad?

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Brunswick, and the banks go exactly where they look like they'll go. But when I play on the Diamonds I have to make sure to play the banks a smidgen wider than they look because they come off short a little short, tighter off the cushion. On a Diamond, using about a quarter tip of outside english fixes what looks like a dead bank for me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tell you what I cannot get thru my thick head about playing on a diamond...

How in the hell can the cb scratch in the side after coming 2 rail out of the corner with running spinglish?!?

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tell you what I cannot get thru my thick head about playing on a diamond...

How in the hell can the cb scratch in the side after coming 2 rail out of the corner with running spinglish?!?

THIS!! I hate that is does that. :angry: From what I've experienced, all the spin applied is virtually nonexistent after the first rail.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamonds bank shorter than GC. It really comes into play if you have a ball that is slightly off angle and near the corner pocket. You can hold it and make the bank in the opposite corner pocket on a Diamond, and cannot on a GC. I've played on both a lot, and don't really prefer one over the other, though they do play much differently on banks, espcially if you hit the bank with speed.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bahhhh humbug to the Diamonds.. I would take a Brunswick table any day that ends in Y over the Diamonds.

Call me crazy, just love the way they play.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Bank better but the shelf makes a word of difference,hardly no pro's make there videos on the tough Diamonds.Wonder why??

Rodney's "Rocket's Science" video was done on a diamond. A video I'd recommend to all.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is that almost all new tables being installed in commercial rooms, and most major tournaments, use Diamond tables. Must be a reason.

My local room had about half GC's and half Diamomds. They are phasing out the GC's as fast as possible and replacing them with Diamonds. When I first started playing there I hated the Diamonds because they were more demanding. The GC's played easier. Now that my game has improved I much prefer playing on the Diamonds. Every serious player at my local room feels the same. The GC's are now reserved for the occasional bangers. Just my experience.