BAR RULES and DIRTY POOL – Why Official Rules are Important

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not surprised to see you also consider yourself an expert on the topic of inbreeding.
Surely a farm boy like yourself took agriculture in high school and was a member of the FFA. If you couldn't learn in school and all of your friends and family on cow farms couldn't teach you about inbreeding it is probably a lost cause trying to teach you now.

Uh oh, you triggered an Old Fart story regarding horses. 😉 I grew up adjacent to horses and cattle but never worked with them. I basically knew enough to avoid the back end and little more. So while I was in the 8th grade and in the throws of puberty, I broke my right arm showing of for the girl I was sweet on. She appreciated my efforts and rode her horse to visit. I was honored and accepted a ride seated behind her with my good arm tight around her waist. Just when I was thinking that the broken arm was a reasonable price to pay for the intimate contact.....the horse reared up. I slid back and onto his rump. Then somehow when he came down a gap between him and the saddle opened. Gravity and momentum took my crotch into the gap which immediately closed. Tight! I was so relieved when he reared again and I was released. I immediately released my grip and slid off the back, I laid on the ground in a fetal position for a long time. It took a while to be able to speak and explain to her why "I will walk home"....as soon as I am able. I have not been on the back of a horse since. I will however give them apples when they come to the fence. 🤷‍♂️

Horses will make you look like an idiot at any opportunity! A friend had to pay for a totaled out pick-up, a totaled out van, and got a DWI just for riding a horse in a parade! Almost lost his job too because he drove a pick-up as part of his job and he had broken his hind leg in all the hurrah. The horse, and foal since she was pregnant, were unharmed even though she was knocked down. The major grief was legal and financial. Seems a horse becomes a motor vehicle when operated, rode or driven, on a state highway!

There were times that it might have been stretching things to say I was bucked off, I just went up high enough that the horse wandered off before I came back down!

My favorite horse could do it all. Win races on the match tracks, cut super well, on and on. He had one minor flaw. Anytime we were in wreck we both rolled the same way! 1200 pounds of horse rolling over you leaves you feeling like a bug on a windshield!

I had gotten him from a guy who had just been pasture breeding with him. He was so mellow you could ride him with a hay string for halter or bridle. As I fed him the same as my race horses he started feeling better all the time and it took more and more bit to hold him. No more hay bale string for a curb chain either.

I had just put a genuine US cavalry bit on my bridle and a solid chain with links end to end. I was crossing a road at an angle and he decided to go down the road instead. I hauled backwards on the reins forgetting the new bit which required a gentle hand! He reared straight up then kicked as hard as he could! Shorty was only 14.2 hands but that is the highest I have been on a horse, or almost on a horse. My head must have been twelve feet or so in the air, maybe fifteen. Shorty's head was the same height as mine. I know because when he slung his head that big heavy bit caught me upside my head. I had deliberately kicked my feet out of the stirrups and pushed off to not land in a pile with him, saddle horns can be deadly if the horse is on top.
I hit the ground half knocked out. Shorty hit the ground beside me and rolled over me to get up naturally! He always rolled the same way I did. One of those Murphy's Law things I think.

Funny, the two most fun things that I did with clothes on was driving a 600+HP race car and "pasture" cutting with a good one horsepower cow horse. Pasture is used very loosely as they usually included woods and swampy areas. I rode my horse back to the barn and that is when I found twenty-two of my friend's cows were out! He was gone so I went into the subdivision chasing cows. It is very exciting, almost like being on ice riding a horse on concrete or pavement when they are scrambling chasing a cow. No big deal in the end, got the cows in, fixed the fence, just anudder day in Paradis!

Hu

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the best one i ever had a fella pull on me was that you had to call whether the OB went in the pocket clean or whether it would hit a rail on the way in. this included the pocket facings. all you can do at that point is laugh
Aha, was waiting for this to come up! A long time ago I was fleecing a guy pretty good, and like a dummy I was leaving my winnings on the counter by the table. I put in another winning 8 ball, and he calls "baby bank, you didn't call that." I of course asked WTH that means and he said it didn't go in cleanly. I said, you win a game and you can call any rules you want before the game, but instead knowing he couldn't win, he goes over and grabs the cash I had won from the counter and starts stuffing it in his pockets. That didn't turn out well for him. :mad:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not quite. In my area you have choice after the break no matter how many of each go in. Two solids and one stripe still gives you choice.

I mean what's next? On the break you have to keep track of which one fell in a pocket first.

I have actually heard people discuss what ball fell first as to the rule they use for the shot. Say someone makes a shot but makes theirs and the opponents ball in. If the opponents ball goes in first, it was not a legal shot, and they lose the turn. Good luck with those types of dumb rules sorting out who saw what correctly.

tomatoshooter

To a bar player "smart" play is shooting the cueball into a pocket when you are on the 8 ball in the kitchen and making you kick at it due to "behind the line" rule they don't understand and saying you lost if you miss the kick.
As long as they aren't planning ball in hand. That's chickenshit!

Seriously, that's the problem with bar rules. There's no penalty if you scratch, and you can even gain advantage. I can see ball in hand being too abet of a penalty if you aren't playing sets, but you should not be rewarded for poor play.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates the commonly accepted "bar rules" used in casual, non-league, non-tournament 8-ball play. The differences from the "official rules of pool" are pointed out, examples of common bar rule variations are covered, and many types of shots that are considered “dirty pool” in bar play are demonstrated. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:31 - Bar Rules
3:13 - Variations
5:21 - Dirty Pool
9:21 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

FYI, I just posted a follow-up video covering the "official rules" of 8-ball, also explaining why they are better. Here's the new thread: