Been days research cue options. Some questions. Pechauer butt (already have) with Predator Revo shaft? Different butt?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the Rogue is slightly higher squirt, than the Revo. It’s not much, but it’s there. The Rogue is a very good shaft. You want a Revo. What’s the effin problem? Get a Revo, that screws on to your butt.

someusername

The line of conversation regarding tips is useless.

Have you considered dancing with who you came with:

That finesse shot you made to come around to center table was a thing of beauty.

Trying to hit that same shot through the center of the table to sit pretty on the opposite end rail and you’ll be beating up pocket points.

Spend some time shooting variations in a theme. Learn the deflection of your shaft. Don’t just throw money at shtuff.
My money. I'd rather have lower deflection. It's far easier to use. I mean, by your logic, I could shoot with a $10 cue and just adjsut to that, right? :)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks that could be a good option to buy. I like a cloth wrap but get that it's a personal choice. Sounds like you have a great combination there. What tip did you get? Any issues generating english?
They have the same one with a linen wrap for $50 more. https://www.predatorcues.com/usa/pool-cues/lines/sneaky-pete-pool-cues.html

Also check out FB used marketplace, they are always selling used Predator butts there, if you like their style.

I kept whatever tip it came with. I never had a problem. I have been using the 314's since the late 90's. When I switched to Revo, I bought the 12.9, thinking that would be closest. I hated it, and put it away for 6 months. Then I bought a used 12.4 and loved it, and bought two more new ones. Just a few weeks ago, a buddy was selling an 11.8 Revo for $250. It had some damage to the ferrule, but was good enough to try and didn't affect play. I like that too. I think I'm going to keep the 12.4 as the main player though, as I now have 3 of them matched to my playing cues, and don't want to re-buy all over.

I'd recommend trying the 12.4 and 11.8 and seeing which you like better. You can get them used and then re-sell for the same price. Then buy a brand new one of the one you liked best. The 12.9 I would not even bother with. Unless your Pechauere is full 13mm old school style and you like that.

someusername

Yes, the Rogue is slightly higher squirt, than the Revo. It’s not much, but it’s there. The Rogue is a very good shaft. You want a Revo. What’s the effin problem? Get a Revo, that screws on to your butt.
They don't make one is the issue really. I can sell my existing cue for probably what the price of a reasonable butt will be. I mean who doesn't like a new new butt.

someusername

They have the same one with a linen wrap for $50 more. https://www.predatorcues.com/usa/pool-cues/lines/sneaky-pete-pool-cues.html

Also check out FB used marketplace, they are always selling used Predator butts there, if you like their style.

I kept whatever tip it came with. I never had a problem. I have been using the 314's since the late 90's. When I switched to Revo, I bought the 12.9, thinking that would be closest. I hated it, and put it away for 6 months. Then I bought a used 12.4 and loved it, and bought two more new ones. Just a few weeks ago, a buddy was selling an 11.8 Revo for $250. It had some damage to the ferrule, but was good enough to try and didn't affect play. I like that too. I think I'm going to keep the 12.4 as the main player though, as I now have 3 of them matched to my playing cues, and don't want to re-buy all over.

I'd recommend trying the 12.4 and 11.8 and seeing which you like better. You can get them used and then re-sell for the same price. Then buy a brand new one of the one you liked best. The 12.9 I would not even bother with. Unless your Pechauere is full 13mm old school style and you like that.
Thanks. I think I'll go with the 12.4. I've used larger and smaller tips before. There's nowhere close to really try these things out. My plan now is 12.4 Revo, soft tip, sell my existing cue, find a butt I like and i'll probably use the vendor in illinois that you or someone else mentioned.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
My money. I'd rather have lower deflection. It's far easier to use. I mean, by your logic, I could shoot with a $10 cue and just adjsut to that, right? :)
Sho’ nuff! I agree that if I was in your shoes I’d want the lowest deflection as a baseline and learn from there.

However, it’s not the be all end all. If I was making smooth finesse spin shots and all of a sudden crapping the bed when I tried to turn it up, wouldn’t try to upgrade my equipment, I would put in some extra practice.

Thresh

You don’t want a Predator butt, period. Read the cue makers section. Out of curiosity, I have not, have you tried Pechauers Carbon shaft. I would think they would have done extensive testing with their butts. Maybe someone has a link to compare them. I think Dr Dave may have done some tests.
IMO the cue butt only has the job of giving your back hand a place to hold.

If you compare two cue butts that are the same length and weight, connect them to the same shaft. I don't care if one cut butt is a broken broom handle and the other is a lead pipe. It has has zero difference of effect for hitting the cue ball. The cue shaft is making contact with the ball, not the cue butt.

If you really think it matters, go on YouTube type in "Florian Broom" then enjoy the show.

Last edited:

Thresh

Well there's the cush involved with a soft tip. The whole thing in concert with the shot dynamics becomes a system that many would not feel comfortable changing.
Personal feel is a huge Factor that effects many people, especially people who play sports, IMO.

We all hate it when we get used to something, then we try to switch. Cue shaft, spatula for the grill, new brief case or backpack. Anything different is awkward for sure, no doubt. Right or wrong.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Efren made Millions, and won everything he could win, doing that. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel and go hit balls. Brian.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Schon and Pechauer butts with 314-2 shafts that are both 5/16 x 14. I like both and have tried many expensive butts but can tell no difference. I don’t need feedback. I don’t want to feel or hear anything or as close to zero as I can get

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have Schon and Pechauer butts with 314-2 shafts that are both 5/16 x 14. I like both and have tried many expensive butts but can tell no difference. I don’t need feedback. I don’t want to feel or hear anything or as close to zero as I can get
I’m not surprised you have two quality made in the USA butts from reputable companies. Try a Target or Walmart cue butt and give an update.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tell you what, how about you buy me whatever cue I want and then I'll not worry about where it's from? Deal? Otherwise, I'll spend my money where I want.
I tell you what, how about you go on a pool forum and ask in the general section for advice, and then be a smartazz when someone gives you said advice you don't agree with? Deal?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you wrote wasn't advice, so your post isn't remotely applicable here.
Your the one who said they weren't interested in a cue made in China, all while expressing interest in a company that makes the vast majority of their cues (including the butt in which you were showing interest) in...you guessed it, CHINA.

Knowledge is a good thing.

someusername

Your the one who said they weren't interested in a cue made in China, all while expressing interest in a company that makes the vast majority of their cues (including the butt in which you were showing interest) in...you guessed it, CHINA.

Knowledge is a good thing.
Then why are you whining? What you wrote wasn't advice, so your post isn't remotely applicable here. I'm just going to block you as this discussion isn't worth my time.