BEM shafts?

almostgood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
question? I just aquired a birds eye maple shaft. The shaft came on a varney cue from 99. This shaft is very heavy compared to the other shaft. bem shaft 111g. hr maple shaft 64g. I know Im disliked on this forum, but I need a question answered. How do these compare to HR maple shafts, deflection wise? and what would another cost to have made?

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very light

i cannot answer your question about deflection, but i can tell you that a 65 gram [ 2.26 ounce ] shaft is really light. the 111 gram [ 3.9 oz ] is about normal.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
question? I just aquired a birds eye maple shaft. The shaft came on a varney cue from 99. This shaft is very heavy compared to the other shaft. bem shaft 111g. hr maple shaft 64g. I know Im disliked on this forum, but I need a question answered. How do these compare to HR maple shafts, deflection wise? and what would another cost to have made?

First, you have to realize that Hard Rock maple and Birdseye Maple are not the species, it just a descriptive term used to describe the characteristics of the wood. They're both Acer Saccharum. Sometimes called Sugar Maple. The birdseyes are a phenomenom that occurs in many types of wood that is actually something of a mystery. I've heard theories that it was due to insects, disease and other unnatural thing that happened to the tree, but to this date nothing has been proven.

Also as someone else stated, the BEM shaft you have is about average in weight, it's the other one that is very light. Perhaps the taper and size also has something to do with the difference.

Hope this helps!

almostgood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
both these shafts are straight grain. They are stiff but the bem shaft is way stiffer than hr shaft. thanks for your answers

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I'm saying that no one knows, not even the scientists that have been searching for the answer for 100 yrs. Speculation and guesses are not fact.
Mis-information, particularly in this section, won't get you many brownie-points.
It's like starting a rumor that GM is getting their steel from China now.
What do you suppose that would do to GM's image?

If you've got factual data, I'd love to see it.
What you 'hear' carries about as much weight as Santa & Bunny.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I think what you are feeling is the difference in mass, not birdseye vs non-birdseye. I bet if you had a shaft close to the same weight/mass as your BEM shaft, it would play similar. Not exactly, but similar. Your other shaft is unusually light, so light I have never seen a maple shaft, from my suppliers, weigh that light.

KJ, do you think Santa and the Easter Bunny are still on vacation? If so, do you want to take a road/boat trip?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm saying that no one knows, not even the scientists that have been searching for the answer for 100 yrs. Speculation and guesses are not fact.
Mis-information, particularly in this section, won't get you many brownie-points.

If you've got factual data, I'd love to see it.
What you 'hear' carries about as much weight as Santa & Bunny.

i didn't say what i had heard was a fact. why don't you explain it to us all since you know so much about it.

if i'm wrong say i'm wrong. there's no need to act like a jerk about it

Last edited:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never seen a BEM or curly shaft in person. Would these "more exotically figured" varieties of maple be more prone to structural failure in shaft dimensions, under shaft stresses?

Eric Wynne

Banned
I 've seen many BE & Tiger shafts on cues , but don't like them myself . The figured wood is prone to have hard and soft spots that make finishing a pain . The wood doesn't cut or sand level so you have to seal and sand and seal and sand to get right . Pretty but a pain in the rear . My experience is that birdseye is a little darker and denser than most tiger , there are exceptions . All from the same tree ...:eek:

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes! Imagine what would happen to birdseye maple's image if such inflammatory fallacies were uttered! why, cue owners everywhere may well burn their sticks in disgust! BUY USA!!!

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I 've seen many BE & Tiger shafts on cues , but don't like them myself . The figured wood is prone to have hard and soft spots that make finishing a pain . The wood doesn't cut or sand level so you have to seal and sand and seal and sand to get right . Pretty but a pain in the rear . My experience is that birdseye is a little darker and denser than most tiger , there are exceptions . All from the same tree ...:eek:

I have never noticed birdseye or curly maple sanding differently. I don't sand much, anyway, but never noticed it. I think I can safely say I have cut several thousand shafts over the last decade. The only woods that sand funny with hard & soft spots are soft woods. As for curly maple, the grain is rippled, but structurally exactly the same growth pattern as normal maple. Birdseye is the same as well except it has singular ring knots & they grow across the grain, getting slightly larger each year. There's no soft or hard places, and so long as there aren't too many eyes or too large of eyes, it makes no difference in the strength of the wood. The reason birdseye maple is denser is because it generally grows slower & almost always has tight grain, making it a denser wood in most situations. I don't know if the tree grows slow because of the birdseyes or if the birdseyes form because the tree grows slow. Most likely the slow growth & birdseyes are both symptoms of a genetic or disease disorder. But as KJ days, nobody knows for sure. But one thing is for sure, birdseye is generally tight grain & dense.

My personal beliefs on birdseye & curly shafts is that they are just fine. In fact, I prefer them on my own personal cues. There's nothing scientific I can put on it but in my experiences, those shafts just play better & feel better to me. I frequently use birdseye shafts in cues I build. None are heavy figure but eyes are certainly present. Curly doesn't come along that often, only one in 50 shafts for me. I cut them & use them just as I would any other shaft & they play just fine. I don't get shafts back because they break during play.

As for sanding that much on shafts, you may want to retune your shaft machine or sharpen the blades. If you have to sand with anything grittier than 400grit for anything over 20 seconds, then your shaft machine is likely more liable for the failure of even sanding than the figure in the wood. After my final cut to 13.10-13.15mm, I install the ferrule & cut it down to 13.05mm, then hit the ledge with 320 for about 5 seconds, and the rest with 400, 600, seal, 1000, 1500 & apply my final polishing/slicking agents. From the time I begin the sanding process to shiny smooth shaft is about 2 minutes. I have learned that sanding anything to the point it can become uneven, requires considerable time & paper that's far grittier than I wanna use on cues. Your cues should be cut clean & to within a couple thou of final size so that nearly no sanding is required. Anything less than this & you are sacrificing accuracy.

Last edited:

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I've got a pair of curly Maple shaft blanks from the 70's, anyone want to try them out can PM me for details. I have one playing cue with a curly Maple front that also has curly Maple shafts, I love the cue and the way it plays. I don't think there is a noticeable difference in the way it plays as opposed to straight grained shafts but there is something in the symmetry that makes it special to me.

BEM shafts that I have ran across over the years almost always have a knot somewhere along the shaft, which I don't like. This is just my experience and not absolute, others may have a different experience.