Best Hustling Lines / Moves When You Enter a Poolroom

8&out

Registered
OH, how the game changes bit by bit.

{never play coin-op tables, the House will win the most $}
start with what ever 8-ball game they play (cheap)

then change the game to same last pocket 8-ball

then change the game to
all solids this side of table
all stripes that side of the table
(always let them make the first ball in the side that they can)

next any eight balls in one hole...ANY HOLE
they NEED TO WIN THIS GAME!!!

THEN, let's pick our pockets
"I'll take that corner, you get the breaks and you can play each other pocket {around the clock} till you find the one you like...then we will keep those pockets"
they are playing
one game of regular one pocket
two games of side pockets
(leave them with atleast one shot into their hole every time you let them shoot)
two games of front to back...

all games are won 8-7 or 8-6
never bank a ball in my hole just knock it up close
never make more than 2 balls at any turn at the table

they have to think they have a chance EVERY GAME.

the Goal is to have 'em have a good time, and bring their friends over for the same good time...Their $ MY Pocket

they MUST be happy to see you the next time you come to town...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody wants to jump on me when they see how well my seeing-eye dog racks the balls for me.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Everybody wants to jump on me when they see how well my seeing-eye dog racks the balls for me.

Oh come on Mr. Patch Eye!! Once you're all healed up just keep wearing that eye patch if you want to hustle. Just complain that you have no depth perception. Then when the money is right take the eye patch off and count all your money!! :thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a game you give to a sucker, who can play a little (basically any local amateur league player).

Offer him the one ball and the break. They can win on the one and the nine and you can win only on the nine. If you're the better player you will win at this game. If they get tired of this spot, tell them you will take the one and break and they can have all the rest of the balls! You can win this way too if you're the better player. Don't tell anyone I told you please. :grin:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Version number two is the game you can give to someone who plays your speed or even slightly above you. You offer them the five and break in Six Ball. In the old days many guys would jump on this game. Many probably still would. Believe me you have way the best of it! It's very hard to make a ball in the break in Six Ball and the balls rarely get tied up. So you're coming to a wide open table and you have to run six balls. It ain't that hard for any shortstop level player, trust me on that one. :rolleyes:

So now I'm giving away some of my trade secrets that held me in good stead for many a year. I probably have a dozen more gaff games/shots that will get the cash. :D

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Number of times, someone would be asking me for the 8,,and I knew that I could slaughter them with it . Told them, I'd give em the last 3 balls on the table, they would jump on that all the time, they had no chance. The 8 was more weight , than the last 3. That 6 ball game and the break Jay mentioned above, Saw Johnny Ross bust a number of folks falling for that one back in the day.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Budweiser cue and a mechanic's shirt.. get's 'em every time!.. and don't forget to
'drill' the chalk..:thumbup:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Budweiser cue and a mechanic's shirt.. get's 'em every time!.. and don't forget to
'drill' the chalk..:thumbup:

Like this one?
picture.php

WinnerBreaks

Registered
What's wrong with test rolling a house cue on a table to check if it's straight? Not really following how this is bad practice. Hell, I do that when I'm too lazy to bust out my break cue. I'll just grab a house cue, test it and bombs away.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's wrong with test rolling a house cue on a table to check if it's straight? Not really following how this is bad practice. Hell, I do that when I'm too lazy to bust out my break cue. I'll just grab a house cue, test it and bombs away.

I’ve seen many bangers roll a dozen cues just to select the one with the straightest roll and the worst tip (or no tip!). When I pick a house cue, I look for a good tip first and foremost. Usually there’s only one, in which I will accept a warped shaft and use that stick. Even then, I don’t tend to care beyond what I can see from looking down the shaft.

That’s not to say a good player can’t roll a cue, but they can definitely make themselves appear a banger with how they approach that activity...if you were so inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
After a ball is made on the break on a bar table, look on the side to see what was made.

That's one of those good subtle ones. It just made me think about an addition to these moves.....

What NOT to do when stalling for action:
1) Pretend like you've haven't racked a set of balls in forever. Lots of times I can gauge a little speed by watching how someone grabs the rack (or even finds it) and flings the balls together. If they get that "fingers in the rack"/ tight on the spot/ finger rolling the head ball/ checking for gaps...... or if they do that "back and forth make a lot of noise but don't accomplish much" move. Haha!!

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play 9 ball and call every ball. People assume you are clueless and think the rules are the same as bar table 8 ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Number of times, someone would be asking me for the 8,,and I knew that I could slaughter them with it . Told them, I'd give em the last 3 balls on the table, they would jump on that all the time, they had no chance. The 8 was more weight , than the last 3. That 6 ball game and the break Jay mentioned above, Saw Johnny Ross bust a number of folks falling for that one back in the day.

I think that I learned this game from Johnny. We got along good. He wasn't the best player but he was a double smart hustler.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Oh come on Mr. Patch Eye!! Once you're all healed up just keep wearing that eye patch if you want to hustle. Just complain that you have no depth perception. Then when the money is right take the eye patch off and count all your money!! :thumbup:

And some pool Hustler from Hawaii cleans out another pool hall...

8D712E8C-0CC5-41EF-BCA8-6A768169A988.jpeg

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OK, I'll bite. Why is the 8 more weight than the last 3?

I guess I'd be a good fish for you. :confused:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
OK, I'll bite. Why is the 8 more weight than the last 3?

I guess I'd be a good fish for you. :confused:

You can win a game early on the eight,
..by the time you’re shooting the fourth last ball there is usually very little difference
between needing one more or three more.