Best layered tip?

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
based on my experience as a player, i still go for the old moori (1st generation), then wizard hard tip, then kamui black medium. if you want a really hard tip/hit without the slip, super pro is my recommendation. all are my personal opinions only, based on my actual playing experience. :)

jimmy91988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started out with a Sniper and moved on to a Kamui M. IMO Kamui M lasted much longer. The Sniper glazed over rather quickly and took longer to break in. I'm getting a Kamui Black M installed so hopefully by next week and I can give you a review on it.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wizard medium

i've tried wizards and imo they play fine at first. they seem to play like a medium tip should play (once again imo) but after they got broken in they seemed to play mushy and i started miscuing a lot more with 'em.

i didn't really dig 'em

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Kamui ii medium. Nothing better! It plays like a med/hard tip. You will love, trust me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best layered tip

just put a kamui black soft on my new steel joint petree and it is awesome. picture a perfect old-school LePro,not too anything, just right.

dave sutton

Banned
emerelst play hard and dead kinda like a non layered tip with more consistancy. snipers are one of my fav tips next to everest. wizards are my top 3 also. for the price you cant beat them. med and hard both play well

greenlight

Go
Silver Member
As far as layered tips, my vote goes to Talisman H, XH. I currently have a H and i think it plays a little softer than other H tips.

akaminski

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have been using a sniper for about 3 or 4 years now and i have'nt hit with anything better IMO. I have tried kamui, moori, talisman, for me the sniper was the best. Kamui and moori's are OK, english is about the same, just feel you get more consistency with english with the sniper. Moori's i found to be the most inconsistent.

Another great aspect of the everest or the sniper is the fact that there is no mushrooming. That's a big A+ in my book.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
emerelst play hard and dead kinda like a non layered tip with more consistancy. snipers are one of my fav tips next to everest. wizards are my top 3 also. for the price you cant beat them. med and hard both play well

Great to hear Dave. By Corey Harper's recommendation, I'm getting an Everest and a Sniper installed on my 2 shafts today..

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Black Soft Is THE BEST!!!!

I just logged some time with the Black Soft. It is THE TIP in my book!!!

Holds chalk like nothing else, and feels great.

I don't know if there is a huge difference between the Soft and the Super Soft, but I might try out the Super Soft in the future.

Last edited:

kasparovII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been a dyed in the wool MooriIII medium guy for a few yeras now. But recently I've noticed a lack of consistency in the Mooir tips...which led me toKamui Black tips. I talked with Kamui directly who admitted that Moori was their "target" when they were starting out. They call MooriII the "second best" tip on the market. I told them i like the mediums and they told me that their blacks are so good that they may discontinue the originals. They said that the blacks play harder tha the MooriII's by an entire step. They told me to try a Kamui Black "soft" and I did. This tip is now my favorite...by a mile. The Kamui Black "soft" plays almost identically in hardness to the Moori mediums...perhaps just a shade softer...which I like, because the Kamui gave me a etter sense of speed control...which is important to me since my game of choice is 14.1. The other benefit with the Kamui was that they seem to "grip"the CB much better than anything I've tried. Kamui chalks this up ( no pun intended) to the pporosity of the leather layers. They say the Blacks hold onto the chalk better. In 9 ball I use alot of English...more than most. So on the shots where I'm up against a rail or cnnot easily get to the area where I want to contact the cue ball I never get the feeling that I may miscue if I choose to still put some juice on the ball from an awkward position. These tips are so good, in my opinion, that I've had to get used to playing less off center for any spin I use...which is a good thing. Kamuis are a little more expensive, but they are at least as good as Moori's as far as wear... they never mushroom and require almost no maintainance excepttoscuff them up once in s great while. I've played them all, including Everest and Sniper, neither of which were as good overal as the Moori's and an of the non-layered tios, fromElkmaster, Triangle, water buffalo, etc..But Kamui's are in my opinion a considerably better performer tha the MooriII's , which were easily my favorite prior to the Kamui Blacks. I haven't tried the Black medium, which, according to Kamui are like everyone elase's hard tips because the black softs fit my game so well. But if you like a really hard tip, you may want to try a Kamui Blackmmedium first. Justb my opinion..."your mileage may vary".

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
just put a kamui black soft on my new steel joint petree and it is awesome. picture a perfect old-school LePro,not too anything, just right.

Great tip!
For those thinking about what to buy. FYI the black Soft is like the Brown Medium. A black medium is super hard.

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
I've been a dyed in the wool MooriIII medium guy for a few yeras now. But recently I've noticed a lack of consistency in the Mooir tips...which led me toKamui Black tips. I talked with Kamui directly who admitted that Moori was their "target" when they were starting out. They call MooriII the "second best" tip on the market. I told them i like the mediums and they told me that their blacks are so good that they may discontinue the originals. They said that the blacks play harder tha the MooriII's by an entire step. They told me to try a Kamui Black "soft" and I did. This tip is now my favorite...by a mile. The Kamui Black "soft" plays almost identically in hardness to the Moori mediums...perhaps just a shade softer...which I like, because the Kamui gave me a etter sense of speed control...which is important to me since my game of choice is 14.1. The other benefit with the Kamui was that they seem to "grip"the CB much better than anything I've tried. Kamui chalks this up ( no pun intended) to the pporosity of the leather layers. They say the Blacks hold onto the chalk better. In 9 ball I use alot of English...more than most. So on the shots where I'm up against a rail or cnnot easily get to the area where I want to contact the cue ball I never get the feeling that I may miscue if I choose to still put some juice on the ball from an awkward position. These tips are so good, in my opinion, that I've had to get used to playing less off center for any spin I use...which is a good thing. Kamuis are a little more expensive, but they are at least as good as Moori's as far as wear... they never mushroom and require almost no maintainance excepttoscuff them up once in s great while. I've played them all, including Everest and Sniper, neither of which were as good overal as the Moori's and an of the non-layered tios, fromElkmaster, Triangle, water buffalo, etc..But Kamui's are in my opinion a considerably better performer tha the MooriII's , which were easily my favorite prior to the Kamui Blacks. I haven't tried the Black medium, which, according to Kamui are like everyone elase's hard tips because the black softs fit my game so well. But if you like a really hard tip, you may want to try a Kamui Blackmmedium first. Justb my opinion..."your mileage may vary".

Great post and very accurate about the hardness of the Kamui's. I read this after my last couple of posts.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Does the kamui black med plays like a la'pro ? I have gone back to it do to ever layerd tip did not play the way I wanted . So what layered tip plays the as the la'pro ?

Great post and very accurate about the hardness of the Kamui's. I read this after my last couple of posts.

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Le Pro = Super Soft Kamui Black...

Does the kamui black med plays like a la'pro ? I have gone back to it do to ever layerd tip did not play the way I wanted . So what layered tip plays the as the la'pro ?

Actually I just read a post (I'll try and find it) where somebody said that the Kamui Black Super Soft felt like a really good Le Pro tip.

Ever since that comment, I have been wanting to try one, too!