Best Player that Quit Early on

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Onepocket73 said:
Yep,Thats him!
Carla gave it away.I took her up to Hard Times once.Jeremiah,the way I remember him,had glasses and sideburns.Geez,back then he was probably in his mid 40's.So now he must be 60?Still plays good though,huh?I watched him play a lot.Played REAL sporty.....:)

Carla accidentally called me a couple hours ago and I told her Jeremiah was on here. They don't have a computer. He is working weekends as a security guard in a hotel. They rarely even play pool anymore, and even sold their cues. She is going down to Cali for a month before Jeremiah joins her and then they are going to Palm Springs to visit family.

I guess he would be about 60 now, although his hair isn't that gray yet. No teeth though. He may have gotten his big settlement from an accident he was in.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Onepocket73 said:
Hey,I was just in Seattle less than a year ago_One night we all went out to a real nice pool room right by the bay.You could see the water right through the windows.2-story joint.Wasn't too far from The Metropolitan Grill.You know the name of the place?

Sounds like it was Belltown Billiards by the Metropolitan Grill,although I'm not too sure by the 2 stories and view of the bay. Maybe Jillian's?

Go here and maybe it will jog your memory.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=53807&highlight=definitive

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
Carla accidentally called me a couple hours ago and I told her Jeremiah was on here. They don't have a computer. He is working weekends as a security guard in a hotel. They rarely even play pool anymore, and even sold their cues. She is going down to Cali for a month before Jeremiah joins her and then they are going to Palm Springs to visit family.

I guess he would be about 60 now, although his hair isn't that gray yet. No teeth though. He may have gotten his big settlement from an accident he was in.
Thanks for the update:)

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
Sounds like it was Belltown Billiards by the Metropolitan Grill,although I'm not too sure by the 2 stories and view of the bay. Maybe Jillian's?

Go here and maybe it will jog your memory.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=53807&highlight=definitive
I am almost positive it was Jillians.It wasn't REAL close to the MG.But in the vicinity.Also,the thing that stuck out was the front windows.Big windows on both floors.Like I said,you could see the water clearly.Beautiful place! I love Seattle:)

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal said:
Maybe I just don't see it but how would you tuck the cue ball behind the 7 and 8 from the position shown?

after reading on I see the diagram may not be just as the situation, but you could play a draw ticky....a cool 3 cusion shot......that would be pretty effective. I had a few played on me by my friend Jimmy....so I took a few hours to learn them!....very useful!
Gerry

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
Well I wonder why Keith DID quit? The story Buddy passed on evidently came from his own 1995 biography "Rags To Rifleman, Then What?" by W.W. Woody: "Kieth was not on hand in 1971 [in Johnston City] to defend his title. After winning the All-Around Championship, he went back home to Texas, and a road hustler came through, spotted Keith the 7ball, and broke him. With his bubble busted, Keith quit playing pool and hasn't competed since." If the "road hustler" was supposedly Christopher, then the story is untrue.

Doc

The "road player" who busted Keith T. was Greg Stevens, who gave the world the seven (with a couple of exceptions for players named B. Hall. R. Florence and W. Crane).

The best player I remember quitting young was Petey Margo, who was one of the best, and quit for a better line of work and got rich. "Omaha" John Shuput also comes to mind. One of the top bar pool players of his day, and he quit cold turkey too. Everyone else comes back (or tries to), including Mark Tadd, Tang, CJ and Roger G. These two quit for good. Sigel retired after age 40 and a long career. Jean B. also quit after a long and successful career.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best women player to quit early was Bonnie Hoffman, ranked in the top five. Her dad was kind of a terror though, and I don't think pool was much fun for her. Her sister Corinne ran the women's Florida tour for many years.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
The "road player" who busted Keith T. was Greg Stevens, who gave the world the seven (with a couple of exceptions for players named B. Hall. R. Florence and W. Crane).

I heard about Greg Stevens a long time ago from a guy who ran a pool room up in Massachusetts. He claimed that when Stevens was on he was the best 9-ball player, ever. There's an interesting section on Greg "Big Train" Stevens near the end of "Hustler Days."

Here's what someone told me once about Stevens:

Greg was one of the very few players who could play Jersey Red even. Red was a big and intimidating guy whose presence at the table was worth at least two balls in one pocket, but Greg's approach, to never take anything seriously, deflected Red's aura pretty well. They had some great matches. When Greg was hot and in stroke, I don't think anybody could beat him at nine-ball. Lassiter couldn't, Red couldn't, and Fats sure couldn't. Red would win in one pocket in the long run, though. I think it was too slow a game for Stevens.

Chuck Raulston

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players who quit early

Brian Atchley hasn't played in years. He goes to church with a guy that occasionally comes in my pool room and he said he may stop by sometime, but he probably won't play.

Chuck Raulston

Dr.DreckDonkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jon Kucharo was on his way to a topflight nine baller, heard his demons got the best of him. He was a terror, gave me a the breaks and a game on the wire going to 7 and busted me... He's still young (late 20's mybe early 30's) hopefully he'll make a comeback

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teddy G

Personally, Teddy Garrahan quit too early. Not many realized how talented he was/is. He plays all games extremely well, with runs in straight pool over 200, capable of playing flawless 9 ball and has the mindset to play any game. I watched him play John Schmidt a couple years back at Crown Billiards at some one-hole, playing even up and he came out ahead (although I have heard rumors that John roasted the whole East Coast not losing to anyone...not true)

Jude, funny you should bring up the safeties and kickings with Ginky. I watched Ginky and Teddy play at Amsterdam East a few years back and it was the finest display of safeties and kick safeties I ever seen. My safety and kicking play drastically improved since then by seeing how important and effective they both are. I also vowed never to play with a jump cue after that. Thanks for the diagram, that's a new strategy I would never have thought of....

Christian

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Logical

jay helfert said:

The best player I remember quitting young was Petey Margo, who was one of the best, and quit for a better line of work and got rich. "Omaha" John Shuput also comes to mind. One of the top bar pool players of his day, and he quit cold turkey too. Everyone else comes back (or tries to), including Mark Tadd, Tang, CJ and Roger G. These two quit for good. Sigel retired after age 40 and a long career. Jean B. also quit after a long and successful career.

That is totally logical, Jay. Greg spent a ton of time in Red's in Houston, where Keith is from and if Greg had that right mixture it was conceivable that Keith never got to shoot. Greg got us all in Jackson in the early 70s. What a monster.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
cmsmith9 said:
Personally, Teddy Garrahan quit too early. Not many realized how talented he was/is. He plays all games extremely well, with runs in straight pool over 200, capable of playing flawless 9 ball and has the mindset to play any game. I watched him play John Schmidt a couple years back at Crown Billiards at some one-hole, playing even up and he came out ahead (although I have heard rumors that John roasted the whole East Coast not losing to anyone...not true)

Christian

I was privileged to see Teddy play at qualifers for the IPT up here in the NW.

Attachments

• IMG_0605 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0605 (Medium).JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,770

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you

Thank you for the pic....he's a good guy and a very good friend of mine....actually I shouldn't have said he quit, he still does attend some events.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
How about Mark Jarvis & Jimmy Wetch?

I see that Wetch came out of retirement for the IPT, but I wonder if he's back into retirment now?

What happened to Mark?

I searched this thread and didn't see them mentioned. If they were, excuse me.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
How about Mark Jarvis

What happened to Mark?

I searched this thread and didn't see them mentioned. If they were, excuse me.

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that Mark Jarvis is now in the construction business.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't seen anyone mention Gloria "Honey" Walker. In the early '80s, I think it was, there was supposed to be a young kid from the Syracuse, Rochester, or Buffalo, NY area that was going to be a world beater, but I can't remember his name. Dropped from the radar a few years later.