Best players who have never won World Pool Championship?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, normally your posts are very sensible, but this time I have to arrest you :)

It doesn't matter how many american champions who attended Johnston City back in the days - players outside the US ( and there are a few..) didn't even know about it at the time. Comparing that to a world championship is just plain wrong

Let's face it, what constitutes a world championship is and has long been one of the gray areas of our sport.

Johnston City, which took place in the 1960's alone, had 14.1, one pocket and nine ball. In the 1960's, were these games being played anywhere other than in the United States? Just to make sure I'm not forgetting the history, I am looking at the program which I still have from the 1978 World 14.1 Championships. In the men's field, there were no Europeans and just one Asian (a twenty something Jose Parica who wasn't competitive in the event). Whether the Europeans and Asians knew about Johnston City in the 1960's seems a trivial matter to me, because they had yet to demonstrate world class skills in pool. Yes, many of them were great snooker, 3-cushion, or English Billiards players, but those disciplines were not contested at Johnston City.

Johnston City was considered a world championship by many who post on this site, especially in one pocket and nine ball, which were secondary disciplines in pool back then.

My intent here was to simply offer the criteria I used in creating my list for the benefit of other posters. If the cost of doing so is that I'm now labeled temporarily nonsensical, I'll have to live with it.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, every tournament is a World Championship. If somebody wins the tournament they are World Champion of THAT event...too bad none of the rest of the world's pros showed up.

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know....you guys are mentioning many GREAT PLAYERS but...most of them still might get some kind of World Title. How about a guy like "JEFF CARTER"? He made it to the finals a number of times only to get 2nd. Twenty to twenty five years ago he was a very dangerous player.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
a "World Championship" would have representatives from Germany, Asia, and Europe

Stu, normally your posts are very sensible, but this time I have to arrest you :)

It doesn't matter how many american champions who attended Johnston City back in the days - players outside the US ( and there are a few..) didn't even know about it at the time. Comparing that to a world championship is just plain wrong

Yes, you'd have to believe a "World Championship" would have representatives from Germany, Asia, and/or Europe.....or it's just a USA Championships at best.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To my knowledge, he has won the US Open 10-ball championship but not the World 10-ball championship.

Great thread!

Would the us open 9 ball be consider a world championship?

I would think yes, with players coming from all over the world!

As in the 14.1 world championships that were held in NYC for many many years.

My man Tom Vanover finished tied for 7-9 place, in the late 70s or early 80s, i believe Tom had the highest run or the 2nd highest in the tournament!

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
But to say they are equals of one like parica is just wrong...IMO.

Please ... Show me "where" I mentioned Parica in my post ... OR ...
made a comparison to Tony or Rafael.
If you don't like Rafael or Tony, man-up and say so, BUT try not to mis-quote
ME in the process.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets all just know parica is the best player without a world title...

the other item i wish to rag about is this-people are claiming that world championship titles are somehow different than other major events because of location and or fields
it seems that those here give more credibilty to events held overseas with the word "world" in them--if all the top players in the world met up and got acclimated to time and tempurature then maybe it would be equal footing if not the visitor always has the bad end of it.travel and time zones screw em all up so while we are all in awe of other players in other countries because of these titles remember they arent usually getting the best version of foreign players-just like we dont either

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please ... Show me "where" I mentioned Parica in my post ... OR ...
made a comparison to Tony or Rafael.
If you don't like Rafael or Tony, man-up and say so, BUT try not to mis-quote
ME in the process.

I guess I missed your point.

The thread topic is best players to never have won a world's and you mentions Watson/ Martinez. I still don't get it, honestly.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, every tournament is a World Championship. If somebody wins the tournament they are World Champion of THAT event...too bad none of the rest of the world's pros showed up.
ya, we are legends in our own minds :)

Great thread!

Would the us open 9 ball be consider a world championship?

I would think yes, with players coming from all over the world!
Maybe decades ago when US dominated world pool but not now. Especially not this year's US Open where rest of world was very under represented.
Look at how many of the top 100 or top 200 played in a tourney and you get anidea
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/rankings
World Championships also have regional qualifiers.
No doubt US Open is a very tough tourney and officially a major ranking tourney according to WPA. But it is not a World championship. :)

the other item i wish to rag about is this-people are claiming that world championship titles are somehow different than other major events because of location and or fields
it seems that those here give more credibilty to events held overseas with the word "world" in them--if all the top players in the world met up and got acclimated to time and tempurature then maybe it would be equal footing if not the visitor always has the bad end of it.travel and time zones screw em all up so while we are all in awe of other players in other countries because of these titles remember they arent usually getting the best version of foreign players-just like we dont either

travel and jet lag is part and parcel and any to pro should be able to handle it. it should not be excuse. Just before Appleton won W10B, he spent lot of time in Philippines to acclimatise. Maybe it is good that WC for 8B and 9B are now held in 'neutral' country in Mid East so all top players from US, Asia and Europe have to travel and they have no excuse :)