Best State to Play Pool In

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I am new to this forum and live overseas. I am planning to visit the US again soon and would like to go on a holiday which revolves around playing pool and meeting some good players and people with similar interests. So I am wondering which state in the US would be the best to visit in terms of variety of clubs, safety, good players, quality tables etc and within a close proximity so i could get a hotel which is in the heart of it?

Cheers

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's very difficult to beat NYC with the caliber of pool rooms (e.g. Amsterdam, Society Billiards, Steinway [where Earl Strickland is the house pro], etc.) as well as the ability to "rub shoulders" with some big names that are based here. E.g. the aforementioned Earl Strickland, and Tony Robles, Mika Immonen, Steve Lipsky, Danny Barouty (while he's still here -- he's planning to relocate to the west coast), Jennifer Baretta, etc.

Plus, you can really round it out in the same move, with doing the "tourist-ey" things that one does when visiting NYC for the first time. Those are too numerous to list here, but think in terms of Times Square, Empire State Building, "Top of the Rock" (top of Rockefeller building as well as enjoying the plaza below), Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc. -- the list goes on and on. And finally, you'll really eat WELL here, too -- NYC is at the top of the charts if you're a "foodie."

Just some ideas, but methinks you're going to have a lot of GREAT other choices to consider as well!

-Sean

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's very difficult to beat NYC with the caliber of pool rooms (e.g. Amsterdam, Society Billiards, Steinway [where Earl Strickland is the house pro], etc.) as well as the ability to "rub shoulders" with some big names that are based here. E.g. the aforementioned Earl Strickland, and Tony Robles, Mika Immonen, Steve Lipsky, Danny Barouty (while he's still here -- he's planning to relocate to the west coast), Jennifer Baretta, etc.

Plus, you can really round it out in the same move, with doing the "tourist-ey" things that one does when visiting NYC for the first time. Those are too numerous to list here, but think in terms of Times Square, Empire State Building, "Top of the Rock" (top of Rockefeller building as well as enjoying the plaza below), Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc. -- the list goes on and on. And finally, you'll really eat WELL here, too -- NYC is at the top of the charts if you're a "foodie."

Just some ideas, but methinks you're going to have a lot of GREAT other choices to consider as well!

-Sean

Thanks Sean . I will look into NY

cheers

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

-Sean

NYC is on my bucket list. Maybe one day.

I hear getting around anywhere on the subway is EASY.

JoeyA

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

JoeyA

And, NYers are always incredibly helpful if you're lost. Just ask 'em, and they'll tell ya where to go. ;) :p

All funnin' aside, you need to get up here, Joey. Consider yourself slapped with a formal invite. :D

-Sean <-- would welcome the opportunity to be your guide

JoeyA

Silver Member
And, NYers are always incredibly helpful if you're lost. Just ask 'em, and they'll tell ya where to go. ;) :p

All funnin' aside, you need to get up here, Joey. Consider yourself slapped with a formal invite. :D

-Sean <-- would welcome the opportunity to be your guide

THANKS! I would love it I'm sure.

I have always wanted to do a little shopping, see a Broadway show, eat some local cuisine and play pool in NYC. I hear Society Billiards has some good-looking girls, I mean tables. Oooops.

What pool event is the most popular in that area? I qualify as an amateur but will donate to the pro cause. :D

JoeyA

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member

JoeyA

"Joey the Bishop comes to NYC..."

To the OP, I would agree with NYC, but I would also add that any State might be a good pick, if it had a big Pool event during your stay i.e. Virginia during the US Open, Upstate NY during Turning Stone(2x a year) or Las Vegas, NV during a Mosconi Cup event, etc...

Eric >state of confusion

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member

"Joey the Bishop comes to NYC..."

To the OP, I would agree with NYC, but I would also add that any State might be a good pick, if it had a big Pool event during your stay i.e. Virginia during the US Open, Upstate NY during Turning Stone(2x a year) or Las Vegas, NV during a Mosconi Cup event, etc...

Eric >state of confusion

I'll bless you if I visit.
JoeyA

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say NYC also, I love going to Amsterdam. I will be in the city tomorrow (for the weekend). Hitting up the Yankees game on Thursday night (last home game for Mo) and then on Friday we are seeing Korn. Will probably stop by Amsterdam at some time as well.

Banks

Banned

-Sean

That's where I'll be in a week. I'd suggest looking into hotel prices well in advance. Turns out, the Wednesday night that I'll be there is just about the most expensive night of the week! Most mid-range rooms are going for $300-$400/night - at least around Central Park on the South/West? side. Next trip, I'm hitting up a Groupon/LivingSocial deal and will either stay on Long Island or get a place in Manhattan again, but I sure won't be paying the same.

I've heard the same thing from about everybody, that the subway system can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and live overseas. I am planning to visit the US again soon and would like to go on a holiday which revolves around playing pool and meeting some good players and people with similar interests. So I am wondering which state in the US would be the best to visit in terms of variety of clubs, safety, good players, quality tables etc and within a close proximity so i could get a hotel which is in the heart of it?

Cheers

Harold Wilson? Why?