Best value cue and shaft for intermediate and advanced player

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many good options.

If you want "tech" get a Predator Roadline sneaky. Sub $400 for a really nice
LD shaft and a solid butt as well.

For something more traditional Schon, Joss, or Jacoby are Great choices. LD shaft is easily added as they're standard and easy to fit joints.

Finally I've been really impressed with the couple Lucasi cues I've played with. These were in the $200-275 range and felt surprisingly great.

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been searching the forum and I have not seen a specific thread on this so I thought I would pose the question. What is the cue that has all the best tech with no frills necessary? I am looking for the get the job done, best value cue and shaft out there to take my game to the next level. Any thoughts?

I can't wait to hear what you say.

Thank you all,

- Kendall
Sold cues for aprox 20 years and best value for the money was a Joss cue, your option later on is to upgrade your shaft to many good ones such as predator, ob, mezz, etc. etc.. Found the balance to be good and also the ss joint......the 5/16 X 14 tread is very popular as reliable and solid hit. My opinion in USA cues and in Canada I would say the Falcon line that was made in Mississauga, Ontario before they moved the plant over-seas. Good luck

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I have been searching the forum and I have not seen a specific thread on this so I thought I would pose the question. What is the cue that has all the best tech with no frills necessary? I am looking for the get the job done, best value cue and shaft out there to take my game to the next level. Any thoughts?

Thank you all,

- Kendall

Last time I checked Shane Van Boening played with a CueTec. You might start there it works pretty well for him.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would add to this...get some quality instruction. The best cue in the world isn't worth squat without a good accurate and repeatable stroke to go with it. It never fails to amaze me that people will throw down $500+ for a cue they like...but wouldn't dream of spending a few hundred to actually learn how to use it effectively. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Buy the best gun in the world......shoot it in a match using iron sights (non-telescopic).
It always remains true the shooter decides the outcome, not the weapon being fired.

There is no fast way to paradise. All sinners earn their way and it's called practice time.
Find any cue you like & invest sweat & tears like so many others to elevate your game.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're on the wrong track bud if you are thinking a cue is going to take you to the next level. And 99% of the tech is a marketing tool. ..True!

I would add to this...get some quality instruction. The best cue in the world isn't worth squat without a good accurate and repeatable stroke to go with it. It never fails to amaze me that people will throw down $500+ for a cue they like...but wouldn't dream of spending a few hundred to actually learn how to use it effectively. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Nothing wrong with blowing your own horn as an instructor, but I assumed we were talking about mostly top level, accomplished players to begin with! (they already have 'repeatable strokes';))

As far as cuestick preference goes, it is limitless!..Unlike 20 yrs. ago, there are so many good cue makers and shaft combinations out there now, it is unreal!..Whatever feels best in your hands, should be the only criteria for selection!..What I'm saying is, how long should it take to find out if its going to work well for you, or not? :confused:

PS.."Visually Pretty"or overly "Hi-Tech", I would think, should not even enter into the multitude of choices! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try a Jerry Olivier, entry level is under$500.00 and they hit great.
His website is jocues.com
Smitty

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy yourself the cheapest cue with a Revo shaft. That is the next level of technology without a doubt. Ignore the haters, they will always be there. It's not cheap, and not cheap for a very good reason. That technology is not cheap to manufacture, I am still convinced it is the way to go. They have been working on their carbon shafts for a very long time now, more than 10 years that I know of.
Neil

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Under $200 - Players Pure-X
2-400 a used Mezz
400+ a new Mezz

Nothing inherently wrong with many other entry level cues like the cheapest model Joss, Viking, Pechauer. But always more expensive then the Players Pure-X and not better. Beyond that price level, hard to beat a Mezz regardless of how much you spend.

Regards, Dave

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you all,

- Kendall

I like Mcdermott g core series. They have a lifetime warranty on all there cues. Most of the new age shafts are good but I would only buy cues that have a warranty against warping. As long as your equipment is consistent you can focus on everything else. I will never again buy a high end cue without a warranty. my two cents

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you all,

- Kendall

Not sure what you mean by "best tech", as in best build quality and finish or things like metal joint and LD shaft with a fancy ferrule?

For a cheaper good standard cue if you just like wood, Schmelke is the one people recommend. For something with a decent low deflection shaft, Players Pure-X or HXT line.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Mezz cues are the best production cues for the $$ and you are getting laminated shafts.

Mezz cues are not laminated, straight up one piece solid maple shaft n with low deflection.

I second that, mezz cues are the best production cues, and this is coming from a predator shaft mezz butt combo user !

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you all,

- Kendall

Schmelke sneaky, Tomahawk ferrule, decent tip...or basic Mezz sneaky. Nuff said. :cool:

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Buy the best gun in the world......shoot it in a match using iron sights (non-telescopic).
It always remains true the shooter decides the outcome, not the weapon being fired.

There is no fast way to paradise. All sinners earn their way and it's called practice time.
Find any cue you like & invest sweat & tears like so many others to elevate your game.

Man I wish there was a magic potion, but the more I play the more I realize I need to play more. Greenie to you.

melead1010

Registered
My opinion is to just start with something low investment like sneaky schmelke and get comfortable with something that is your own. My first cue was a simple $125 McDermott Star with regular maple shaft and Medium Everest tip. It played better than a house cue and helped me get comfortable learning to play with a single cue. Then as I mastered the feel of my cue I decided to venture into the low deflection market, so I went to the McDermott factory (near to where I live) and picked up a blemished I-2 LD shaft for about 70 bucks.

Just yesterday I decided to pick up my first serious cue and I went with a Schon STL-1, 19oz, 12.75mm maple shaft, and Kamui Soft tip. About a $500.00 investment but I in my local bar tourneys im pulling about 85 bucks a week. So I figure it will pay itself off in the long run.