Best way to clean a wrap?

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I have pulled my first cue out of the closet only to find there is mold on the wrap and my case. What is the best way to clean the wrap without damaging it? Thanks in advance for all advise. Yes I realize now that I have a bigger problem than just mold on my cue. It has been in the case for probably 8 years or better so there is no telling how bad it actually is under the wrap. Do you think it would be better just to have a new wrap put on it? The wrap currently on it is nylon.

Thanks, Adam

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Hi all,

I have pulled my first cue out of the closet only to find there is mold on the wrap and my case. What is the best way to clean the wrap without damaging it? Thanks in advance for all advise. Yes I realize now that I have a bigger problem than just mold on my cue. It has been in the case for probably 8 years or better so there is no telling how bad it actually is under the wrap. Do you think it would be better just to have a new wrap put on it? The wrap currently on it is nylon.

Thanks, Adam

It's only about 50 to re-wrap the cue, so if its a nice cue...meaning worth more than 250... I would do that.

If its a cheap cue, maybe some color safe bleach and water and SCRUB :grin-square:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
If it is mold, I would be afraid of it also being on the handle underneath the wrap.

I use a small container with a drop of washing liquid in luke warm water.

I scrub the wrap with a soft cloth. Then I press and burnish. I then use spray starch on it and repeat.

If you wet the linen you may find that it becomes poofy on you. I use the word poofy because I can't think of the proper word as I type.

You will need to be able to press and burnish the wrap after it becomes wet.

If you would like to just use laundry soap, wring the rag out well and don't soak the wrap. Just wipe off the mold as best you can. As in, maybe just try and dab off the moldy spots.

Other than that, if it is just nylon, it may not absorb water as easy as linen will. That part is on your side. I use nylon for some break wraps and those that don't want to spend money on linen. Nylon still needs to be pressed.

Other than that, a new wrap is reasonable from any repair man. And that way, you can be sure he will also clean and disinfect the handle wood should it have mold on it too.

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

Thanks, Adam

Here is some reading for you.

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

The bad thing about mold on, in or under the wrap is that if it is not killed completely and you continue to use the cue the mold spores can be transfered from your hand to the pool balls and onto the next person when they rack the balls.

The mold may have already found a home deep inside the butt end of the cue which would make killing it very hard. You wont know until the wrap is removed.

John

Xnotedgeanymore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said this was your first cue, though it hadn't seen light in 8 years which leaves me a little unsure of how to respond. Your question was about the best way to clean a wrap, and the above methods work just fine.

If the cue is of sufficient sentimental and/or monetary value to warrant a small investment in keeping it in reasonable condition for years to come then I would definitely suggest having a new wrap installed and getting the handle disinfected. Otherwise the mold will continue to grow under, and then through the wrap.

My answer is hinged not on what the cue is worth, but what it is worth to you. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
{sarcasm mode=On}
The best way to clean a wrap is to buy cues without wraps. Then you just wipe it down wiht a damp cloth.
{sarcasm mode = Off}

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
Being highly allergic to most molds, and not seeing something for 8 years, it'd be in the bin and I'd be on the market for something new.