Billiard Digest Hall Of Fame?

Jimmy Reid

US Open 9 Ball Champion
Hi, this is Jimmy Reid and you've got players from my generation ranked higher than me?

Believe me if the money in pool had escalated as it did in golf I'd be pool's Arnold Palmer or Lee Trevino.

Some of my pocket billiard accomplishments include;

1974./ Southwestern Open 9 Ball Champion, spotting the entire field the call 8ball, the only time in history this has been done.

You see I was the last entry in the 128 man field, JoJo the owner gave me his spot.

Since I'd already been in every major city in every state in the continental US and before leaving town offered everybody the last 3 playing 9 ball and having booked no losers since 1968 the players started griping.

So I told JoJo that everyone I played could win making the 8 ball or 9 the only stipulation was that they had to call the 8 Ball. I won the tournament anyway. An historical first.

The next tournament I played in was;

1977./ World Convention 9 Ball Champion, 9 racks first inning in the finals. Cornbread Red talked me into going and was laughing his behind off, naturally he had a 20% free roll coming.

1979./ BCA National 8 Ball Champion over 4300 entries on regulation tables, I don't think Mark Wilson or I ever missed a ball in that final.

1980./ World Classic 8 Ball Champion, $25,000.00 1st.

1985./ US Open 9 Ball Champion (the single most prestigious tournament in the world) shooting the highest accustat match of the entire tournament in the finals.

1988./ King of The Ring, top 12 payers in the world invitational, Nick Varner 2nd.

1992, 1993./ Winner of 6 European Open 9 Ball Championships in West Germany and Back to Back winner of the West German Annual 8 Ball Championship.

1994 - 2004 Competed in some major events but the better part of those years I was the sole care provider for 2 disabled WWII veterans.

2005./ Won the last two tournaments I played in at the Derby City Classic, the largest 9 ball bar table mini and the one day 64 player one pocket tournament. Then hit with 4th stage cancer.

Winning tournaments under pressure for 41 years from 1964 to 2005.

Wikipedia; In 1994 at The Lexington All Star 9 Ball Championship, a group of my peers all of whom were certainly in the top 20 list of the best players in the world. Had voted me as to have been the best money player in the world for the previous ¼ of a century, from 1969 to 1994!

Of all things, this I am most proud. My lifetime dream from 1958 had come true.

Add to this the fact that normally I had no partners unless I was forced to have a backer I wanted all of the bet myself. Who else on your list can say that?

"Son I've seen everybody play from Ponzi to today and can't none of em carry your cue playing that nine ball" Luther Lassiter 1970.

1980./ At the top 16 players in the world invitational in AC, NJ Mosconi took me to dinner in china town after beating Petey Margo 11/2 in the televised event. Petey had broken Willie's balls per inning average.

When ranked no.1 Sigel played me 8 ahead for $4,000, unscrewed and has never thought about playing me again.

Buddy Hall beat me a couple of times only to have me beat him right back. Finally, Buddy stated man that's just too good. I can't beat you, but I would like to bet on you in case you find somebody crazy enough to play you.

Let me stop right here Buddy Hall is one of the most down to earth people that I've ever met, he's never too proud to tell the truth.

My feelings toward Buddy are that of a brother, the same goes for Keith, Cole Dickson, Mike Massey, Danny Christian, Danny Diliberto, Ed Kelly, Bob Ogburn and Scotty Townsend to name a few brothers.

Are Danny D and Ed Kelly in your list?

Ray Martin is a fantastic, great straight pool player. In 1979 after he beat Richie Florence for a sizeable amount while having dinner he turned me down giving him the last 3 playing 9 Ball and I turned him down playing straight pool.

Mizerak the same as Ray only I loved Steve and Karen very much, we were good friends, played gin for hours at my real estate office and lots of golf together, we genuinely liked each other.

Rempe and Archer both jumped out in front then quit me after I'd gotten even, they had backers and I respect them for treating their backers money as their own.

Rempe and I were playing 9 Ball for $500.

Archer and I were playing 10 ahead 10 Ball for $4,000, after being 9 games down and getting even Johnny said bye Reid. As usual I had all of my bet, no partners.

Earl when ranked no.1 lost good $$ to me playing 10 ball the day after he won Red's tourney in Houston TX. Then he lost a couple more thousand $$ playing 9 Ball the day after he won the Clyde Childer's Memorial in Richmond KY.

At the time before running into me Earl had been beating everyone in the country for the money.

Everyone else on your list either tried and didn't like the results or refused to try.

Jersey Red went crazy in Johnston City in 1971 when I beat him at the same proposition that Harold Worst lost at, I hope Harold is on your list.

Having plenty of money at the time it was just something to do for me, I bet Red $20 a game playing 9 ball, me against the table. If I break and run out more than I don't I win. Even money that I would break and run out, no ball in hand and if I didn't make a ball on the break I lost.

Red had the nuts and lost $220, after he was down about 8 games or so Danny Jones came in and up against Red real quiet asking him what the prop was and mentioned something about the nuts and Red went off the air scaring Danny who flew into the back room.

Red was saying I hope somebody else tells me I've got the nuts looking at a few players in the stands and waving the rack around.

I also loved Jersey Red he was one of my favorite people ever. Red could remember every game that he watched or played for the previous 20+ years.

He'd put the balls up and tell you the score of your match yesterday or last year, maybe when you did something wrong or extraordinary it didn't matter, Red remembered. What a delight Red was (is), I believe.

No hard feelings but whoever made this list, if you've got something against me, don't let it influence the truth. The truth will set you free.

Go ahead and name someone on your list that's beaten me for money playing 9 Ball, 8 Ball or 1 Pocket it didn't happen from 1969 to 1994.

Fats and Jansco staked Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson against me playing one pocket the day after the tournament ended in Johnston City in 1971.

Fats got beat by Jimmy Fusco getting a ball on the first table and I beat Shorty, (Stuff was my nickname for my great friend Shorty who I'd known since I was 15 years old) 18 ahead playing $100 one pocket.

Not one person on your list that I didn't beat even or gave them a handicap and beat them. Who's no.1?

"I saw Jimmy Reid play 9 Ball for 3 weeks in LA and he could've given anybody that ever lived the 2 and they would've never known they had it." UJ Puckett

Who's been a better player than me? Please I'm very curious who's going to tell you they played better rotation on any size table from 7' bar tables to 12' snooker tables.

While you're at it ask Pat Fleming about some accu-stat records that Pat made me aware of in 2004 at Derby City.

sydbarret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impressive resume.Wish I had got to see you play in your prime, or there was some videos.

Any Larry Lisciotti tidbits?

Write more please.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I saw Jimmy play at The Rack in Oak Park, Mi many times and I've always said he was the best 9 Ball player I ever saw for the cash. I didn't see em all but I saw a lot of them...Tom

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think Jimmy forgot one of his strong games...payball on a 5x10 snooker table.
I believe he was in Searcy's class.

But the thing I remember most was that he was a chick magnet.
He was worth hangin' around 'cause # 43 in the line-up might let you buy her a drink or something.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jimmy was the real deal! I never forgot our little road trip with Barbara. We made a few bucks and the day we came back, who is in the poolroom but New York Blackie. This was just before you became so well known and I warned you not to play him. I went to the rest room and when I came out you were already in action for $200, a decent bet at the time. After you beat him, he looked around the room and hollered, "Who is this kid!" I loved it. Thanks buddy. :thumbup:

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
Absolutely no disrespect meant because everybody knows you were/are a great player and one of the best, especially for money. But in all fairness your tournament resume (which rankings are based on) just doesn't compare to others such as Strickland, Archer, Varner, etc...Your money game no doubt was something to be reckoned with (so I have heard, to young to have seen it myself) But the plain and simple fact is you do not have 5 Us open wins, a player of the decade title, multiple player of the year titles, first person to win the Us Open back to back. Those are the type of things that put you high on ranking and hall of fame lists, not gambling results. I know I sound a bit rude but hey, I am just keeping it real. No disrespect meant. I honestly have not seen the list I am just naming 3 players with very well known tournament resumes and mentioned things they have achieved, I do not know where anybody ranks.
Hi, this is Jimmy Reid and you've got players from my generation ranked higher than me?

Believe me if the money in pool had escalated as it did in golf I'd be pool's Arnold Palmer or Lee Trevino.

1974./ Southwestern Open 9 Ball Champion, spotting the entire field the call 8ball, the only time in history this has been done.

You see I was the last entry in the 128 man field, JoJo the owner gave me his spot.

Since I'd already been in every major city in every state in the continental US and before leaving town offered everybody the last 3 playing 9 ball and having booked no losers since 1968 the players started griping.

So I told JoJo that everyone I played could win making the 8 ball or 9 the only stipulation was that they had to call the 8 Ball. I won the tournament anyway. An historical first.

1977./ World Convention 9 Ball Champion, 9 racks first inning in the finals. Cornbread Red talked me into going and was laughing his behind off, naturally he had a 20% free roll coming.

1979./ BCA National 8 Ball Champion over 4300 entries on regulation tables, I don't think Mark Wilson or I ever missed a ball in that final.

1985./ US Open 9 Ball Champion (the single most prestigious tournament in the world) shooting the highest accustat match of the entire tournament in the finals.

1988./ King of The Ring, top 12 payers in the world invitational, Nick Varner 2nd.

1992, 1993./ Winner of 6 European Open 9 Ball Championships in West Germany and Back to Back winner of the West German Annual 8 Ball Championship.

1994 - 2004 Competed in some major events but the better part of those years I was the sole care provider for 2 disabled WWII veterans.

2005./ Won the last two tournaments I played in at the Derby City Classic, the largest 9 ball bar table mini and the one day 64 player one pocket tournament. Then hit with 4th stage cancer.

Wikipedia; In 1994 at The Lexington All Star 9 Ball Championship, a group of my peers all of whom were certainly in the top 20 list of the best players in the world. Had voted me as to have been the best money player in the world for the previous ¼ of a century, from 1969 to 1994!

Add to this the fact that normally I had no partners unless I was forced to have a backer I wanted all of the bet myself. Who else on your list can say that?

"Son I've seen everybody play from Ponzi to today and can't none of em carry your cue playing that nine ball" Luther Lassiter 1970.

1980./ At the top 16 players in the world invitational in AC, NJ Mosconi took me to dinner in china town after beating Petey Margo 11/2 in the televised event. Petey had broken Willie's balls per inning average.

When ranked no.1 Sigel played me 8 ahead for $4,000, unscrewed and has never thought about playing me again.

Buddy Hall beat me a couple of times only to have me beat him right back. Finally, Buddy stated man that's just too good. I can't beat you, but I would like to bet on you in case you find somebody crazy enough to play you.

Let me stop right here Buddy Hall is one of the most down to earth people that I've ever met, he's never too proud to tell the truth.

My feelings toward Buddy are that of a brother, the same goes for Keith, Cole Dickson, Mike Massey, Danny Christian, Danny Diliberto, Ed Kelly, Bob Ogburn and Scotty Townsend to name a few brothers.

Ray Martin is a fantastic, great straight pool player. In 1979 after he beat Richie Florence for a sizeable amount while having dinner he turned me down giving him the last 3 playing 9 Ball and I turned him down playing straight pool.

Mizerak the same as Ray only I loved Steve and Karen very much, we were good friends, played gin for hours at my real estate office and lots of golf together, we genuinely liked each other.

Rempe and Archer both jumped out in front then quit me after I'd gotten even, they had backers and I respect them for treating their backers money as their own.

Archer and I were playing 10 ahead 10 Ball for $4,000, after being 9 games down and getting even Johnny said bye Reid. As usual I had all of my bet, no partners.

Earl when ranked no.1 lost good $$ to me playing 10 ball the day after he won Red's tourney in Houston TX. Then he lost a couple more thousand $$ playing 9 Ball the day after he won the Clyde Childer's Memorial in Richmond KY.

At the time before running into me Earl had been beating everyone in the country for the money.

Everyone else on your list either tried and didn't like the results or refused to try.

Jersey Red went crazy in Johnston City in 1971 when I beat him at the same proposition that Harold Worst lost at, I hope Harold is on your list.

Having plenty of money at the time it was just something to do for me, I bet Red $20 a game playing 9 ball, me against the table. If I break and run out more than I don't I win. Even money that I would break and run out, no ball in hand and if I didn't make a ball on the break I lost.

Red had the nuts and lost $220, after he was down about 8 games or so Danny Jones came in and up against Red real quiet asking him what the prop was and mentioned something about the nuts and Red went off the air scaring Danny who flew into the back room.

Red was saying I hope somebody else tells me I've got the nuts looking at a few players in the stands and waving the rack around.

I also loved Jersey Red he was one of my favorite people ever. Red could remember every game that he watched or played for the previous 20+ years.

He'd put the balls up and tell you the score of your match yesterday or last year, maybe when you did something wrong or extraordinary it didn't matter, Red remembered. What a delight Red was (is), I believe.

No hard feelings but whoever made this list, if you've got something against me, don't let it influence the truth. The truth will set you free.

Go ahead and name someone on your list that's beaten me for money playing 9 Ball, 8 Ball or 1 Pocket it didn't happen from 1969 to 1994.

Fats and Jansco staked Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson against me playing one pocket the day after the tournament ended in Johnston City in 1971.

Fats got beat by Jimmy Fusco getting a ball on the first table and I beat Shorty, (Stuff was my nickname for my great friend Shorty who I'd known since I was 15 years old) 18 ahead playing $100 one pocket.

Not one person on your list that I didn't beat even or gave them a handicap and beat them. Who's no.1?

"I saw Jimmy Reid play 9 Ball for 3 weeks in LA and he could've given anybody that ever lived the 2 and they would've never known they had it." UJ Puckett

Who's been a better player than me? Please I'm very curious who's going to tell you they played better rotation on any size table from 7' bar tables to 12' snooker tables.

While you're at it ask Pat Fleming about some accu-stat records that Pat made me aware of in 2004 at Derby City.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To really find out who the best players were in a certain era, you would just have to ask the players that gambled during that time. I don't know who made the list but it was the wrong person for the job. I see a couple on the list that wouldn't have won getting the last 4 from Jimmy or Keith.

original palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Ried. i'd bet you are an Aries or Leo.
Its intriguing to me that you label yourself as in the top 3 or best period.
your resume is very impressive.

I'd love to see some videos of you playing, especially straight pool.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo the early seventies to mid eighties were one of the greatest times for 9ball action players before the cell phone and internet and in 15 years there were about 10 players you could say was the best for the cash. Hippy Jimmy was one of those guys there are very very few players that can say they will play anyone even for the cash Jimmy was one of those guys.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Excerpt from my upcoming book, The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers:

I knew him from when he was 15. Jimmy Reid was a fearless, talented, funny, stubborn, proud top player. If you beat him, you could break him. But he was very hard to beat. He and I quit playing each other early on. I didn't like how hard he tried. His best games were probably, Ten-ball, or Pay-ball on the snooker table. Pay-ball was one of his very strong suits because he loved shooting at hard shots.
I watched Jimmy bust Richie Florence in a 72-hour Nine-ball session in Detroit at the Rack. I was staying with him and his then- wife, Barbara, in an efficiency motel room. When the session was over, Barbara wanted us all to have breakfast at the Stage Deli around the corner. Instead, he made Barbara, who stayed up on “the sweat” the whole 3 days, go to the store for groceries so she could cook us breakfast. That was too cold-blooded, even for me. But he's been my chauvinistic hero ever since.
He has never even been nominated, but Jimmy played plenty good enough to be deserving of the BCA Hall of Fame. He would certainly have busted a few of those already in.

Beard

I also happen to be one of those old relics who rate pool players according to how well they can stand up for the money, rather than their tournament prowess.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread, Jimmy. Keep posting these gems. I love it! :grin-loving:

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone knows jimmy is telling the truth here,he was a Great player,but i find it unbeleivable that you would come on here and complain,its disrespectful to the other guys of your era..
I have tremendous respect for anyone who grinded the road and played
at that level for any period of time. I cant wrap my head around you coming on here and trying to foward a moot agenda.sorry

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jose

If we go by the cash it would be hard to leave Jose Parica out because St Efron coundnt get there for the cash not many could.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone knows jimmy is telling the truth here,he was a Great player,but i find it unbeleivable that you would come on here and complain,its disrespectful to the other guys of your era..
I have tremendous respect for anyone who grinded the road and played
at that level for any period of time. I cant wrap my head around you coming on here and trying to foward a moot agenda.sorry

Yeah, I mean, no one's ever done anything like it before.:D

Gilbertfan81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy please give the details

I'm from west Tennessee and jimmy is the stuff of legends. This is a story I've heard several times over the years. The Super Bowl tournament at the rack was a huge tournament in the past. All of the top pros came to play. People from my hometown went every year, this is the most famous story to ever come out of the tournament. It was played on bar tables. The race was to seven. Three straight matches during the tournament one year, Jimmy won the opening break and ran the sets. He broke and ran like 23 straight racks playing 9 ball in the tournament. This is a well known story and was witnessed by several people I know. Jimmy may be able to elaborate on the details but 23 straight racks is crazy in a top pro tournament.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Money King

I sympathize with Jimmy Reid, as the saying goes the guy with the cash is the best.I understand that the list was based on tournament wins and there are a lot of gray areas when deciphering who won the most money.I read an article a few years back about Dennis Occolo and that his dream was to be the Money King in the Phillipines.He went onto to say that is the highest achievement over there.He did become the money king which is the player who no one else will play for cash.In reading Mr. Reid's bio it is obvious he was the Money King of his era and that is really saying something.I hope some of the players of that era would take the time to write something here as Freddy the Beard did, we all love reading about that period.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You know, this is ANOTHER reason why I have said often that we need a fan's hall of fame.

We can have our own categories.

Tournament Players
Money Players
Backers
Promoters
Events

etc....

However even if we do, which we should, SOMEONE is always going to feel slighted when there is a rank list. That's just how it is.

But, having met Jimmy in 1993 he was definitely the real deal as a player. You're always Diamond Jim to me.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hello Jimmy,
I hope you are doing better health wise! I gave Buddy your number and asked him to call you. I like your pool winning record. I bet you had trouble beating Buddy. You are in my prayers, Jimmy. Take care. And let me know if I can be any help to you? Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely no disrespect meant because everybody knows you were/are a great player and one of the best, especially for money. But in all fairness your tournament resume (which rankings are based on) just doesn't compare to others such as Strickland, Archer, Varner, etc...Your money game no doubt was something to be reckoned with (so I have heard, to young to have seen it myself) But the plain and simple fact is you do not have 5 Us open wins, a player of the decade title, multiple player of the year titles, first person to win the Us Open back to back. Those are the type of things that put you high on ranking and hall of fame lists, not gambling results. I know I sound a bit rude but hey, I am just keeping it real. No disrespect meant. I honestly have not seen the list I am just naming 3 players with very well known tournament resumes and mentioned things they have achieved, I do not know where anybody ranks.

Wow!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Last edited:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, this is ANOTHER reason why I have said often that we need a fan's hall of fame.

We can have our own categories.

Tournament Players
Money Players
Backers
Promoters
Events

etc....

However even if we do, which we should, SOMEONE is always going to feel slighted when there is a rank list. That's just how it is.

But, having met Jimmy in 1993 he was definitely the real deal as a player. You're always Diamond Jim to me.

Mr. JB,
Can I get into the pool player fan club by being a Buddy Hall, Nick Varner, Ronnie Wiseman, CJ Wiley, Johnny Archer, and Jimmy Reid, oh I could go on and on? But that is enough for now!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Last edited: