Black Diamond cushions?

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard Black Diamond cushions mentioned in high regard on here in a few threads. I can't seem to find anything on them. Anyone know where to buy or more information on them? I hear they are nearly as good as Artemis.

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have them on my gold crown. seem to play very well and at a fraction of the cost of artemis.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played on them and they were fine, sure are a lot cheaper than Artemis.

I believe diamond is the sellerer of them.

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just remember you get what you pay for they do not last near as long

And you pay for what you can afford. Don't get me wrong; I want more than anything to put Artemis K66 and Simonis 860HR on this table but I can't drop that much right now. So I'm considering Gorina Basalt and a good cushion that's close in comparison to Artemis. I've heard a fair amount of people say that these Black Diamonds are a pretty good comparison.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And you pay for what you can afford. Don't get me wrong; I want more than anything to put Artemis K66 and Simonis 860HR on this table but I can't drop that much right now. So I'm considering Gorina Basalt and a good cushion that's close in comparison to Artemis. I've heard a fair amount of people say that these Black Diamonds are a pretty good comparison.

Gorina Basalt, IMO, is a better cloth.
lasts longer, plays smoother

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I've heard Black Diamond cushions mentioned in high regard on here in a few threads. I can't seem to find anything on them. Anyone know where to buy or more information on them? I hear they are nearly as good as Artemis.

It's a K55 profile cushion. you can buy them at wsbilliardsupply.com

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So these are only K55 profile? From what I know, K66 plays faster. Is this correct? Without dropping the hard cash for Artemis, can anyone recommend another top quality K66 cushion?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

So these are only K55 profile? From what I know, K66 plays faster. Is this correct? Without dropping the hard cash for Artemis, can anyone recommend another top quality K66 cushion?

-

What size table do you own? A home style 7' table? If so I have some k66 cushions I'll cut you a deal on.

Rob.M

JZMechanix

Silver Member
just remember you get what you pay for they do not last near as long

Back in the day, Diamond did have some problems with their cushions going bad, but that was when they first started using them. Brunswick had the same issues with the Superspeeds. The products they are putting out these days are of much better quality.

I have installed the Diamond cushions on many tables. They play great and will last a looong time. If you don't want to spend the money on Artemis, the Diamonds are a great alternative.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Perhaps I read you wrong, but...55/66 designations are to distinguish shape- profile- of the cushion, not speed.

You can't just choose between 55/ 66 cushions. To make the change from one to the other *properly*, major modifications to sub rail are necessary.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Perhaps I read you wrong, but...55/66 designations are to distinguish shape- profile- of the cushion, not speed.

You can't just choose between 55/ 66 cushions. To make the change from one to the other *properly*, major modifications to sub rail are necessary.

That would be correct as the Gandy sub-rails are 1 5/8" thick and not designed for a K55 profile cushion. In order to install them to play correctly the sub-rails would have to be thickened up and then the sub-rail beveled changed to take the K55 cushions, so about $1,500 worth of labor and materials would be needed;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be correct as the Gandy sub-rails are 1 5/8" thick and not designed for a K55 profile cushion. In order to install them to play correctly the sub-rails would have to be thickened up and then the sub-rail beveled changed to take the K55 cushions, so about $1,500 worth of labor and materials would be needed;)

Ahh, so he needs the 66ers then?

I did not pick up onthe gandy fact. Guess I don't listen.

My wife was just saying something or the other about that yesterday and some issue it was causing. Not sure what, I wasn't really paying attention!!!

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, when I bought this table, it was mentioned that the wrong profile cushions may be installed. They seem to sit at an odd angle. But they are also coming apart and are rock hard so they need to be replaced.

So I should use K66 profile on my Gandy? Will this work without any complications? I've heard from a few sources that people have had issues with getting the cushions to sit right on Gandy tables. Keep the helpful tips coming! :thumbup:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
The Artemis cushions confuse everyone with both cushion profiles using the same number.

IMO- don't waste your money on Artemis cushions to a gandy.

If your after black k66 cushions look to Murrey cushions-no control strip tho-, stay away from tan/brown colored cushions.

Rob.M

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Artemis cushions confuse everyone with both cushion profiles using the same number.

IMO- don't waste your money on Artemis cushions to a gandy.

If your after black k66 cushions look to Murrey cushions-no control strip tho-, stay away from tan/brown colored cushions.

Rob.M

I don't have a preference in what color they are; I am looking for a good set of 100% gum rubber, high rebound cushions. I heard Artemis plays very fast and lasts quite a while. But I also can't afford Artemis right now. Kids come first and daughters are expensive! :wink: So if I can find a good Gorina Basalt and she'll make a nice table!