Blades to cut tips

cad1illac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip

BENFICA said:
Hello,
I have tried and tried and have not been able to cut a tip flush with the ferrule, not able to cut at all :(
So... Can you guys go to www.specialtyblades.com and click on curved blades? Would that be an appropriate blade and more "cut" frendly?
This company also designs blades and if any cuemaker/repairman could design a blade to make the job easier, that would be super nice. Any more ideas to do tips on a lathe without using blades? I am using tool bit and sandpaper now after damaging a few ferrules on some firewood ;)

It will help a lot if you wet the tip.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a couple of things . . .

I haven't bought the heavy duty Stanley blades in years so this might no longer be true but they were once considerably duller than the standard thickness blades. Somebody that has both might want to compare them for the forum if they don't mind. I got some of the wonder coated blades to try but never got around to it, wonder if anyone can report on them? (Yeah, I mislaid mine!)

Something that is obvious to most but may be being overlooked is the bevel on the blades. If a person lays the side of the blade on a flat and level surface the bevel on the blade causes it to have a negative rake going into the tip causing more rapid dulling and more push off. By grinding a surface to lay the blade on to offset the bevel of the blade the tip can be cut into at a true 90 degree angle or even the tiniest amount of positive rake. Positive rake makes the blade and work want to pull together so this is the way to ruin stuff in a hurry if a person isn't very careful. 90 degrees is probably best and safest.

While talking about blades, I like putting them in a handle for most things. Not one with a retractable blade or a fancy handle, just one that holds the blade firmly fixed in position. The ones with a movable blade allow blade movement that can't be controlled when using them to cut into a turning piece.

Hu

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BENFICA said:
OK. When I am cutting the tip it feels that I am cutting with the flow that the lathe is spinning and I do not get any resistance. That might be able to tell you something.

Dude. I was in your shoes just a few days ago. I was poking the edge of my utility blade on the edge of the tip to try and make it flush with the ferrule and it was not working. I don't think doing the doming is actually hard to pick up, it's the flushing of the tip with the ferrule technique.

You have to hold the blade towards the right and don't be afraid to set it down right on the ferrule. You will actually get a feel for how to hold the blade's edge so that you angle it perfectly into the side of the tip.

I think that is the answer you're looking for. The tiger video and the other zip video shows exactly what I'm talking about. The photo in the above post demonstrates this particular technique as well. It's the nuts once you get it.

I watched Chris Hightower do it and it wasn't till the fourth time I watched the dvd until I actually caught on to this technique. GL man.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I think you nailed it. What tip did you use for the first time that made it right for you?

deadgearplyr said:
Dude. I was in your shoes just a few days ago. I was poking the edge of my utility blade on the edge of the tip to try and make it flush with the ferrule and it was not working. I don't think doing the doming is actually hard to pick up, it's the flushing of the tip with the ferrule technique.

You have to hold the blade towards the right and don't be afraid to set it down right on the ferrule. You will actually get a feel for how to hold the blade's edge so that you angle it perfectly into the side of the tip.

I think that is the answer you're looking for. The tiger video and the other zip video shows exactly what I'm talking about. The photo in the above post demonstrates this particular technique as well. It's the nuts once you get it.

I watched Chris Hightower do it and it wasn't till the fourth time I watched the dvd until I actually caught on to this technique. GL man.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I got it!

Guess what? I got it!
I did a tip from scratch and my issue was the blade angle like it was posted in the picture and explayned by you.
Thanks for all the input guys and was so thrilled with my discovery that I not only did a tip from scratch as well I fixed 6 other ones that I did terrible jobs and the tips are flushed with the ferrule and the tip jobs look like a million dollars. Well, I even threaded a tenon for the first time and it came out awesome!

deadgearplyr said:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BENFICA said:
Guess what? I got it!
I did a tip from scratch and my issue was the blade angle like it was posted in the picture and explayned by you.
Thanks for all the input guys and was so thrilled with my discovery that I not only did a tip from scratch as well I fixed 6 other ones that I did terrible jobs and the tips are flushed with the ferrule and the tip jobs look like a million dollars. Well, I even threaded a tenon for the first time and it came out awesome!

Awesome.

Kelly

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Thanks guys. For me it was like a discovery :eek:k:, but know that I know how to do it I just need to master some other stuff like installing ferrules and such.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I know its funny, but I've been putting my tips on my cues for years with a cordless drill, and a Kershaw pocket knife. I use a threaded stud, nut, and washer fit in the shaft, stud into drill, and have my son or someone else hold the trigger. LOL. I messed up so many ferrules and tips it aint funny, but over the years I've gotten pretty good at it. just thought you guys would get a kick out of my low budget method.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BENFICA said:
I think you nailed it. What tip did you use for the first time that made it right for you?

I'm sorry, I was away for a day or two. I've been using the hercules medium/hard extra deluxe off the cue components website. I've also used this same technique with triangles, milk duds, and water buffalo.

I'm glad you have learned what you needed to know. It just goes to show you that knowledge is power.