Bore size for rethreading

dendweller

Hi
I have a 3/8 10 shaft with wood threads that has gotten a little loose.
I'm thinking I should bore it out a half inch to plug and re-thread it.
Does that make sense.
Thanks
Joe

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Half inch works fine for a plug. Consider using phenolic. If you're not live threading, it's sometimes helpful to tap your plug oversized, then put it on a pin in your lathe to turn it to your bore size and true it up.

likestorack

Registered
I if you doing to do it, imo you should remove all the old threads and have full length of new threads for maximum strength. I would bore it out and plug it to the depth that the pin sticks out or more...

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you plug it, you can try to put cyano glue in the threads to build them up a little then retap the threads. Be sure to let the glue fully dry and cure before tapping (at least 24hrs unless you have some accelerator). You don't want anything getting stuck. If it doesn't work out you can always go with the original plan of plugging.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Works when done right

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_195925615.jpg
    IMG_20231025_195925615.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 96

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd try a few drops of Carnauba Car Wax on the internal wooden threads and let it sit for a day or 2, then decide if I wanted to bore the threads out. You probably won't.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did the CA thing with one of my McDermott shafts. Just did about a 1/2" in at a time, and just a couple drops. One time, I guess I should have waited longer to dry and almost didn't get it unscrewed. Probably did about 5 or 6 times. Really tightened up the connection. Does it actually matter, I couldn't say for sure, but there is zero felt sloppiness when screwing the shaft on.
If I were giving advise, it would be to not do it all at once, but just do a few threads deep at a time and test.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before you plug it, you can try to put cyano glue in the threads to build them up a little then retap the threads. Be sure to let the glue fully dry and cure before tapping (at least 24hrs unless you have some accelerator). You don't want anything getting stuck. If it doesn't work out you can always go with the original plan of plugging.
This is the advice I was about to give until I saw this post.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard about the c/a on threads til I came here.
Maybe it's a new school thing, I'll pass and plug it but it's
Interesting!

tsp&b

Silver Member
Interesting!
It is not a new idea at all. And certainly not "New School". It has been done very successfully for years. Especially for threads that are not too badly damaged. dendweller, cueman and muskyed are correct.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not a new idea at all. And certainly not "New School". It has been done very successfully for years. Especially for threads that are not too badly damaged. dendweller, cueman and muskyed are correct.
Cool
To each thier own

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting!
Me either. It's scary to me because the CA dries so much harder than the wood is. I would have to be rethreaded I would think, which could induce flaking or chipping, but who knows, maybe these guys are on to something.

dendweller

Interesting!
Barry Cameron told me that one about 20 years ago. He said he'd load it up and wip the shaft to get the excess out.

I'm going with the plug, I suspect these threads are past that helping.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me either. It's scary to me because the CA dries so much harder than the wood is. I would have to be rethreaded I would think, which could induce flaking or chipping, but who knows, maybe these guys are on to something.
I agree, maybe they are. It's been proven that c/a bonds better when an oil is applied first but inside a shaft that we all know the walls have dirt in there, filled into the pours.
Those 2 points alone make me skeptical which is why I said, to each thier own.
Ya know.
My shop, my rules kind of thing. That applies to everyone's shop.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple of days ago I mentioned using liquid car wax on internal wooden threads that feel lose. To my surprise no one commented on it. Try it, you may be surprised.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple of days ago I mentioned using liquid car wax on internal wooden threads that feel lose. To my surprise no one commented on it. Try it, you may be surprised.
This place is funny in
That there's almost always a reply, even when they don't have anything important to say.
Your post was one of the very few, there was no reply too.
I was surprised, almost disappointed.
I enjoy some of the responses. Lol

dendweller

In my situation this shaft was bored and rethreaded in the past already. I suspect just the threads were bored out and that the plug diameter was only about 3/8 which was the reason for the question about how much to bore out in the first place.

In this case you can rock the shaft when it's really close to contacting the butt face so I don't think there's much that will help other than doing it over again.

Do you think it works because it swells the wood some?