break shot question

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I set up the side break shot to open the rack (i'm right handed). After breaking the stack the cue ball runs all the way down to the foot rail leaving me with a very long first shot. I tried putting a little bit of follow and I scratch in the corner pocket. What am I doing wrong? How can I control the cue ball so it stays near the center of the table?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I'm fairly new to pool and completely new to straight pool. I've purchased some books and vids (rempe, mathews, capelle) to try to learn the game, so I appreciate the patience :)

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
When I set up the side break shot to open the rack (i'm right handed). After breaking the stack the cue ball runs all the way down to the foot rail leaving me with a very long first shot. I tried putting a little bit of follow and I scratch in the corner pocket. What am I doing wrong? How can I control the cue ball so it stays near the center of the table?

P.S.
I'm fairly new to pool and completely new to straight pool. I've purchased some books and vids (rempe, mathews, capelle) to try to learn the game, so I appreciate the patience :)

It sounds like you're trying to run balls, not necessarily play straight pool. If that assumption is incorrect, you can ignore the rest of this...

I'm fairly new to straight pool myself and used to practice by just trying to run balls. However, this isn't all that useful when it comes to playing against an opponent because I WILL miss a shot and I WILL have to play safe. And I will RARELY get an ideal break shot. Just trying to get high runs means I never practice all those other aspects of the game.

So instead, I've shifted my 14.1 practice to literally playing the game against myself. I still try to run balls but in context of a game*. I break, play safe, deal with less-than-perfect break shots, etc. (I just don't keep score because it's way too confusing.)

So I just did what I hate other people doing -- not answering the actual question you asked -- but I hope this is helpful. High runs will come but you first have to be able to play the game.

* My high run is only 20 right now and I got that by playing a break shot that I would have never attempted had I been playing an opponent.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

P.S.

Two things: It depends on your angle into the stack as well as WHERE you're hitting the stack (which ball: front side of the ball, on the face of the ball or behind the ball). Each will affect the outcome of where the CB goes.

So don't try to whack the side of the rack blindly. Pay close attention to where/how you're hitting the stack exactly -- and work from there. I assume from your post that the CB is coming back into the kitchen and staying there (not the foot rail), since you say you have long follow-up shots.

You can try to setup steeper angles into the rack (if you're comfortable with making those). However, based on what you're describing, you're setting up pretty shallow angles. If that's the case, I recommend hitting the break shot twice as hard as you are now. That will send the CB in the kitchen and with enough speed--- come out to the center of the table.

Your other option is to feather the break shot and just nip backwards to the center; however, the problem with that is it leaves a large muck to deal with afterwards. Based on your post, I'm guessing you're probably not an advanced player who can continually cut-through the rack multiple times. Therefore, it's important to spread them when you have a chance.

That said--- if you continue accepting shallow break shot angles, draw out of them and hit them hard with low-outside.

Dave

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx for the quick respnses!

@krupa: yes I'm basically trying to run balls, but I want to do it in 14.1 format because I'm really captivated by the game :) I only play at home for my entertainment and I don't really see myself playing against oponnents. My brother comes over once in a while but he only wants to play 8ball :(

@spiderweb: the way u describe my shot is exactly right. My CB ends up in the kitchen NOT on the rail.

the shot I set up is with the OB on the intersection of the 1 dmnd (short rail) and about 2dmnd (long rail)the CB is about 2dmnds DIRECTLY below the OB. ur suggesting that I move the CB over to the right a little? This would cause the CB to go into the stack with less speed correct? Thx so much in advance.

P.S.
Ur assumption about me being a beginner is also correct. My highest run has been 9 balls in 14.1. In equal offense its 13 balls. I'm practicing about 1.5 hrs a day and I really feel I'm improving. I don't usually practice 14.1 that often though. Mostly stroke drills, shotmaking, and position drills. I really want to start practicing more straight pool :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just caught my mistake in wording...I got foot and head mixed up. Srry!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

@krupa: yes I'm basically trying to run balls, but I want to do it in 14.1 format because I'm really captivated by the game :) I only play at home for my entertainment and I don't really see myself playing against oponnents. My brother comes over once in a while but he only wants to play 8ball :(

@spiderweb: the way u describe my shot is exactly right. My CB ends up in the kitchen NOT on the rail.

the shot I set up is with the OB on the intersection of the 1 dmnd (short rail) and about 2dmnd (long rail)the CB is about 2dmnds DIRECTLY below the OB. ur suggesting that I move the CB over to the right a little? This would cause the CB to go into the stack with less speed correct? Thx so much in advance.

P.S.
Ur assumption about me being a beginner is also correct. My highest run has been 9 balls in 14.1. In equal offense its 13 balls. I'm practicing about 1.5 hrs a day and I really feel I'm improving. I don't usually practice 14.1 that often though. Mostly stroke drills, shotmaking, and position drills. I really want to start practicing more straight pool :)

to practice seriously on your fundamentals and stroke is good at your level!
But there is no better game than straight pool to practice. furthermore there is no game to improve also if it s about concentration. and if it s about knowlegde, straight pool is the right partner- here you need all^^

lg
Ingo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

P.S.

Try to get a little closer to the rack -- if I understand your post. You don't want shallow angles into the rack from a long distance away.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
If you are going to use draw into the stack, commit to it and hit it hard enough so you come off the foot rail. The other advantage to hitting it harder is that you are more likely to get a couple of balls to come down with you that you have a play on. Same with using follow. Hit it hard enough and high enough on the CB so that you can bend the cue ball with hook follow off the stack into the foot rail rather than into the corner pocket. This doesn't have to be warp speed either. But make sure you are using enough follow. If you hit the stack close to full-on you should be able to bend the tangent line of the CB into the foot rail instead of scratching. That is why on break shots with less cut angle I will generally draw the ball; because the CB will only be glancing off the stack I can't bend it into the foot rail so the scratch becomes more likely.

Hope this helps.