Break tip ban

gbs52

Registered
Is there any current bans on phenolic tips and other hard tips? All I found in search was old info.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possibly, I think there are some rulesets that say no phenolic tips. I know if I was in charge of the equipment at a place I would not allow them.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the issue with phenolic? I thought only G10 was harder than the balls.....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the issue with phenolic? I thought only G10 was harder than the balls.....
Hard tips including phenolic damage the ball by forcing the chalk particles into the surface. If you look closely, you will see scuff marks due to breaking and jumping. The WPA equipment specifications forbid hard tips but most TDs seem to ignore that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a break cue with a phenolic tips and I couldn't stand the sound.
I had it replaced with a real hard leather break tip.
Much better.

I think the current option with break tips are all better than the phenolic stuff, and very hard plastics or composites in general. A cuemaker friend of mine put a pressed leather tip on a break cue for me and I could not tell the difference in hardness between that and a plastic tip, but it was a much nicer hit and no damage to the equipment. There are probably 5-6 very viable tip options for break/jump cues that are not phenolic.

Zerksies

Kamuis control break tips are the nuts!!! Not illegal as far as I know
I have one and it's a great tip and does as advertised. Rock hard and i can control the cue ball jus like a playing tip.

That tip is layered leather with what I assume a hard epoxy. It looks like it might be woven material too.

It's not a bad jumper too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a big fan of WhiteDiamond's. Great ball speed, good control both breaking and jumping. Holds chalk well and does no damage to whitey. I've used a friends cue with phenolic and saw no damage. Can't say that about G10: the one i used left those little half-moon marks on a brand new Aramith cue ball. Not cool.

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a G10 on my jump cue, hard leather tip on my break cue.
If Im going to use a 3 piece (jump/break) White diamond is the way to go.

SSP

I'm a big fan of WhiteDiamond's. Great ball speed, good control both breaking and jumping. Holds chalk well and does no damage to whitey. I've used a friends cue with phenolic and saw no damage. Can't say that about G10: the one i used left those little half-moon marks on a brand new Aramith cue ball. Not cool.
I went to SBE and was going to try the white diamond but I didn't find them there, went with the Kamui recommended by Dan Dishaw, it's been a great tip.

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Duel was using a soft break in 9 ball and they changed the rule to force a hard break.
That’s cause he was riding that soft tap like a train over the competition. Alice R. a real nice woman from this area. She used to have a great game, dabble in the “Womens tour.”
Back in that day, around 2005ish when Duel was getting out with that “soft break”, and getting out A LOT.
I was chatting with Alice, so she tells me that at the recent mixed mens and womens pool tournament in Ohio, Corey Duel was up half the night alone practicing that soft 9-ball break shot. Breaking and re-racking. Again and again. For hours. He just don’t pull that break out of his pocket. That’s when there were some rule changes. Break box, etc.
Cause Duel was practicing to hard for em?

SSP

I knew that, the OP was advocating for an under 15mph break, I don't blame the Pro's for finding a way to win, that's how they make their living, I don't think Corey did anything wrong, I also don't think changing the rules was wrong either, Corey has the honor of being so good they had to change the rules to stop his game, those rule changes will be attached to him for the rest of pool history.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s cause he was riding that soft tap like a train over the competition. Alice R. a real nice woman from this area. She used to have a great game, dabble in the “Womens tour.”
Back in that day, around 2005ish when Duel was getting out with that “soft break”, and getting out A LOT.
I was chatting with Alice, so she tells me that at the recent mixed mens and womens pool tournament in Ohio, Corey Duel was up half the night alone practicing that soft 9-ball break shot. Breaking and re-racking. Again and again. For hours. He just don’t pull that break out of his pocket. That’s when there were some rule changes. Break box, etc.
Cause Duel was practicing to hard for em?

Nothing really having to do with phenolic tips, but an issue with that soft break was not just that it pretty much made the standard 9 ball game look like a half table 14.1 game, but it also often left an easy combo on the 9. I did a post about it years ago where I snipped some clips from a tournament where multiple times in the race the 9 was wired for an early combo to the corner pocket. I see this happen quite often, almost always with a soft break.

These are from the original post.

full

full

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
equipment that damages the table or the balls needs to be barred from use simple as that.

and 9 ball is going to stay in the dumps until they get the rules for the break fixed. and how the balls are racked.
till then it is a gimmick game for the top pros.

average playing amateurs get little advantage from the break despite what they think. most times its a disadvantage.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
equipment that damages the table or the balls needs to be barred from use simple as that.

and 9 ball is going to stay in the dumps until they get the rules for the break fixed. and how the balls are racked.
till then it is a gimmick game for the top pros.

average playing amateurs get little advantage from the break despite what they think. most times its a disadvantage.

Attachments

• IMG_010722_085047.jpg
    IMG_010722_085047.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_260423_171142.jpg
    IMG_260423_171142.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_260423_171252.jpg
    IMG_260423_171252.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 89