Breaking 9-ball on bar table - Spotting location?

And you make some pretty consistently? I just havent seen any top pro on TV/video in big tournies hit from there, only from a ball in from the middle diamond, seems like thats the spot 99% of the time. Then again I am not sure what size table you are referring to.

Hmmmm I see... Ya when I see the top tournies, especially near the finals, I dont see much varation at all as above described, but in my case maybe... The only thing is with my ball striking skills, first its hard to know if I am personally striking the ball well enough to find some consistency, and second, I think I can only look/follow ONE ball off the break to see if I "hit it right." My first instinct would be to watch the 1 and see how close it comes to the making side pocket, and hopefully adjust from there. I dont know how good players "watch" for their results to adjust. It seems impossible to watch several balls' actions right off the break when you are staying down so low in your stance.

I am sorry. I understand that my reply was not really helpful. The spot that Mike Sigel always broke from was always my favorite spot to break from, because I always felt that I got my most powerful break from that spot, and the best cue ball control (with keeping the cue ball in the middle of the table). Other then that, I never really practiced my break, and never worried about getting good shape on the 1 ball (or any ball in particular). It was just always the break that I felt most comfortable with (for power and cue ball control). That is all. Good luck with finding the best break spot that works best for you.

On an off topic note, I do not think that it is always best to copy everything about how a pro player plays (or the spot they break from). We all just have to find our own unique style of playing, and do what works best for us. I learned by watching many great local players as a kid, and was self taught. I always felt like I had my own unique style of playing. That may have hurt me though. Maybe I should have tried to get lessons from a master instructor, but sadly I never had the extra money for that. Some of us just have to learn on our own. I understand that the break is a very important thing to master though, if you want to compete at a high level.

Last edited:

gpeezy

for sale!
If you only break from one place on the bar table or any table you will be beaten repeatedly. I break from where I make a ball. I use different speeds. I look at how the rack is trmwisted or balls with gaps, high low whatever. There isn't a secret spot. I would start someone 1 diamond from the side rail with an Open hand bridge and hit them solid. So important.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i always break from the side rail for 9 ball. I usually break from the back rail, almost head on to rack for 8 ball and 10 ball.

on 9 ball breaks, im not trying to make the 1 ball, it will usually hit about 1 inch high of side pocket and bank towards back corner (i usually make the corner ball on the side im breaking from).

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you only break from one place on the bar table or any table you will be beaten repeatedly. I break from where I make a ball. I use different speeds. I look at how the rack is trmwisted or balls with gaps, high low whatever. There isn't a secret spot. I would start someone 1 diamond from the side rail with an Open hand bridge and hit them solid. So important.

That's more of where I was going with my video analysis, my cueball was skipping or jumping to the rack and I wasn't hitting the lead ball solid. Which my videos showed me the correct distance (for me) to always get a solid hit! And for me I'm bridging off the rail (to achieve a rolling cueball,not flying) and one diamond in from right side, and if I'm not making a ball 2out3 times I move in toward center 2inch increments until I do. Table time may be limited at the time of match so this might happen throughout the day. But it's so difficult to say where to hit from to make a ball when playing in a tournament. 1) your playing on different tables constantly 2) temperatures and humidity affecting the cloth at various times of the day or night 3) the balls maybe cleaner or dirtier etc.

Pool players are constantly adjusting and adapting to conditions, but general rule one diamond in is a great place to "start"

JRusso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always broke at about the same spot that Mike Sigel breaks (2 diamonds up, and 1 diamond over, on either side, but for me, usually on the left side of the table).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJ_UW9X3pM&t=1521s

I always liked breaking from that spot, and this is for both 8 ball and 9 ball.

I'm with you on this. I break from the side rail at times, but if I'm having trouble keeping the cue ball under control I move to this location. You still get good action from the break, but the cue ball is easier to get back to the middle of the table.

JMASTERJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry. I understand that my reply was not really helpful. The spot that Mike Sigel always broke from was always my favorite spot to break from, because I always felt that I got my most powerful break from that spot, and the best cue ball control (with keeping the cue ball in the middle of the table). Other then that, I never really practiced my break, and never worried about getting good shape on the 1 ball (or any ball in particular). It was just always the break that I felt most comfortable with (for power and cue ball control). That is all. Good luck with finding the best break spot that works best for you.

On an off topic note, I do not think that it is always best to copy everything about how a pro player plays (or the spot they break from). We all just have to find our own unique style of playing, and do what works best for us. I learned by watching many great local players as a kid, and was self taught. I always felt like I had my own unique style of playing. That may have hurt me though. Maybe I should have tried to get lessons from a master instructor, but sadly I never had the extra money for that. Some of us just have to learn on our own. I understand that the break is a very important thing to master though, if you want to compete at a high level.

Thanks for your honest opinions Justin, much appreciated... BTW I want to make it clear I m not here to belittle or patronize anyone's opinions... I understand there are always many ways of doing anything in life and sports, and I know from being an instructor and professional in multiple sports that perfect technique and concepts do not always translate into great results. However I also know that there are certain "basics" that give you anyone the highest probability of success, and here, since I am a relative noob in playing pool, that is what I am looking for. However if many are saying there really isnt that spot on a 7' table, and the pros do what they do because they get perfect racks every time and hit it perfectly every time, then I totally understand. But I am never one to back down from "perfection" whether it exists or not... I am from the Bruce Li principle in aiming for perfection is not a flaw, its a way to get better faster and more efficiently.

Thanks again for your continues advice!

JMASTERJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is that because of the inconsistency of the rack or.... I dont get this principle of never breaking from the same spot. If we assume the pros do it because they have "perfect" racks and strikes, lets say we dont on a bar table in a league match. However we only know the effects of all these variables AFTER each break, so with each variable changing ALL the time, I dont understand how adding another variable to the break adds to consistency? I think I am missing some critical info here.

i always break from the side rail for 9 ball. I usually break from the back rail, almost head on to rack for 8 ball and 10 ball.

on 9 ball breaks, im not trying to make the 1 ball, it will usually hit about 1 inch high of side pocket and bank towards back corner (i usually make the corner ball on the side im breaking from).

This is on a bar table? Have u also tried that middle diamond/1 diamond in break spot like some of these other guys have... wondering if you had much less success from there.

That's more of where I was going with my video analysis, my cueball was skipping or jumping to the rack and I wasn't hitting the lead ball solid. Which my videos showed me the correct distance (for me) to always get a solid hit! And for me I'm bridging off the rail (to achieve a rolling cueball,not flying) and one diamond in from right side, and if I'm not making a ball 2out3 times I move in toward center 2inch increments until I do. Table time may be limited at the time of match so this might happen throughout the day. But it's so difficult to say where to hit from to make a ball when playing in a tournament. 1) your playing on different tables constantly 2) temperatures and humidity affecting the cloth at various times of the day or night 3) the balls maybe cleaner or dirtier etc.

Pool players are constantly adjusting and adapting to conditions, but general rule one diamond in is a great place to "start"

Do you also use the break speed app from Predator for $5? Seems like break speed is critical for consistent results as well as balls jumping or spinning etc...

Ok thats helpful.. so do you have a tip on how do I know on the next break whether I should move 1 ball in or out from the 1 diamond mark? What do I look for in my break results to know which way to go?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A solid hit and controlling the cue ball and one ball is the key for me. I usually play where we rack the 2-ball in the back and it usually hits the end rail and comes back up table near the head rail opposite of the side I'm breaking from.

If I make the one in the side, I usually will have a shot where I can play the 2-ball back on my end of the table. If I happen to make a different ball and the one misses the side pocket, it will be back at the end of the table where I'm standing.

Either way, the key is hitting the head ball solid and keeping the cue ball somewhere in the middle of the table.

If you do that and don't make a ball, too bad...the other guy gets your leftovers and you sit that game out.

Last edited: