BRIDGE LENGTH Effects and Considerations

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Are you joking? Poor attempt at humor? .....or did you just miss your bran muffin this morning.....
It was a question out of pure curiosity. I tried going over all of the top and greatest name pro players over the years and couldn't think of one that had a background as an engineer. Some didn't even finish high school. Most never went to college.
One was a school teacher, Steve Mizerak. The first time I heard about somebody being an engineer was early when joining here and told to me by Hal Houle. He mentioned Bob Jewett and that was it for a long time. The next one was Dave Alciatore. Now it seems like pool/pool forums have caught on with the group and it's multiplied by a good bit.
Can you name some pro players that have engineering backgrounds right off the top of your head?

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
It was a question out of pure curiosity. I tried going over all of the top and greatest name pro players over the years and couldn't think of one that had a background as an engineer. Some didn't even finish high school. Most never went to college.
One was a school teacher, Steve Mizerak. The first time I heard about somebody being an engineer was early when joining here and told to me by Hal Houle. He mentioned Bob Jewett and that was it for a long time. The next one was Dave Alciatore. Now it seems like pool/pool forums have caught on with the group and it's multiplied by a good bit.
Can you name some pro players that have engineering backgrounds right off the top of your head?
I don't follow the pros at all....but I do know quite a few engineers that are avid pool players. Does a background in engineering make one a better pool player? Not in the least.

I do however understand the attraction if you consider what pool really is at a foundational level. ;)

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's Jonni Fulcher, but he's the only one I'm aware of.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I don't follow the pros at all....but I do know quite a few engineers that are avid pool players.
Yeah, and 96% of them are here on AZ. The other 4% are engineers for the Pennsylvania Railroad. :LOL:
Does a background in engineering make one a better pool player? Not in the least.
Are you saying all the math wizardry doesn't necessarily carry over into pure shot making, high runs, and tournament wins?
Whoa Nellie!! You might have fallen out of favor with a bunch of people.
I do however understand the attraction if you consider what pool really is at a foundational level. ;)
Even numb nuts like me with a 1/2 brain on food stamps can play the game at a decent level. :cool:

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Yeah, and 96% of them are here on AZ. The other 4% are engineers for the Pennsylvania Railroad. :LOL:

Are you saying all the math wizardry doesn't necessarily carry over into pure shot making, high runs, and tournament wins?

Even numb nuts like me with a 1/2 brain on food stamps can play the game at a decent level. :cool:
Put the bong down for starters.

I really don't know what else to tell you....you're off in la-la land now.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a legit rocket scientist from Europe that was a pro. I can’t remember his name. Might have been the one mentioned a few posts up. Jim Buss was also an engineer, and I “think” played pro speed.

Regardless, I don’t think there is any correlation between book smarts and pool. Zero. I think it’s mostly visual memory retention from the “knowledge/learned” side, and eye-hand coordination from the “body hardware” side.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But spider, I don’t see why you make such a big deal. Pool brings everyone together. And of course people will mix in their dayjobs or other backgrounds with this game we all love.

Isn’t that how you actually joined here? Mixing your computer background with the IPT?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Click on my screenname. It will give you a choice to Ignore. Click that. You will then be able to eliminate my posts forever.
If you don't, it could show Ignorance on your part and that wouldn't be too smart, would it?
Never have blocked anyone, but I do know how.
If I don't it would show tolerance not ignorance.:giggle:

jbart65

I am amazed sometimes by how these threads devolve. We are all adults here, right?

Uh, well, on second thought ...

Got to say I am particularly puzzled by the people who say they are going to, or did, block someone. Just do it. No need to talk about it. Almost as if you are trying to get one more dig of the knife in! 🔪

I like engineers by the way. My older brother is one. I even like engineers who play pool.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but there it is. Carry on. Let's keep arguing about, well, I don't know what exactly. This DrDave guy sure is a firestarter!

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I am amazed sometimes by how these threads devolve. We are all adults here, right?

Uh, well, on second thought ...

Got to say I am particularly puzzled by the people who say they are going to, or did, block someone. Just do it. No need to talk about it. Almost as if you are trying to get one more dig of the knife in! 🔪

I like engineers by the way. My older brother is one. I even like engineers who play pool.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but there it is. Carry on. Let's keep arguing about, well, I don't know what exactly. This DrDave guy sure is a firestarter!
It's history, my man...history. And it started back in the mid to late 90's by some of the same people that are here on this forum today so it's climbing up on 30 years. It's never stopped between then and now and at times even far worse than current.
You don't know what there is to know but if you did, you'd know. You're too new here. Doesn't make sense? Yes it does but on the other hand no it doesn't. The NPR forum is worse than the main forum. Just leave it at that.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
You have that right! Jim is one of the finest people I have ever met. I have broken bread with him a handful of times and hope to meet again despite the distance between us.

Hu
My sister and brother in law ended up moving to Florida a year ago but that wont stop me from planning a trip your way asap. I would love another visit to that area, I will certainly let you know when.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you can't play worth a damn, ...
Well, about 15 years ago you and Mike Page met in person and played some pool. Afterwards, Mike posted that you, he, and Patrick all played "at about the same speed ... ." So unless you have improved greatly since then (or feel that Mike's opinion was way off), and would now deem your own skill level as of 15 years ago as not "worth a damn," I'd say you are not being honest in your statements about Patrick's skill level.

Last edited: