Brooklyn Johnny Ervolino

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I just was thinking of Johnny and was curious if anyone had any stories to share, being from NY I have a soft spot for these guys, I know he ran with Red when they were in NY also. :)

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Hi Fastlenny,

Several years ago while Johnny was living in Vegas, I was practicing for a BCA event in November at the Plaza Hotel. My routine normally includes practicing 14.1 till I run 50 (or more). Many posters at AZ know table 8 at The Cue Club. I missed a relatively easy shot around 60. While staring in disbelief at my blunder I heard this deep, gravely voice say "Hey kid, want to play some straight pool?". I looked up and saw Johnny standing there. As my match at the Plaza was only an hour away, I declined but told him I would be back. As things worked out, I didn't return till the following January. Asked if he was around. To my great sorrow, the guys told me Johnny had passed away the week before:sad:. I'll always regret not playing Johnny. Regardless of the outcome, I've had way too few chances to play with a legend!

Lyn

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
The Velvet Foghorn

I thought you were from upstate NY, Lenny? That's not in the NYC metro area, lol :D

I only had a few passing run in's with the Foghorn (i nvr thought his voice as "deep", but definitely cigar gravely). Short story with a great piece of advice:

I was attempting to play Straight Pool at the Golden Cue in Queens. Johnny musta been watching me play, flinging my cue ball all over and trying to play 14.1 like I was shooting 9 ball. Finally, after blowing the most simple end pattern, with no shot at hitting the stack, Johnny tells me "Kid, ya gotta learn to play better patterns." "It's gotta be 'stick, stick, stick'..."

What he meant was that you wanna play for stop shot outs, if possible.

Eric

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just was thinking of Johnny and was curious if anyone had any stories to share, being from NY I have a soft spot for these guys, I know he ran with Red when they were in NY also. :)

I love that photo of Johnny. That's the guy I remember from the 60's at Seven Eleven in New York and later in Johnston City. Look closely, here is a man who backed down from no one at any game. He grew up on the streets of New York and had no fear in him. He became the best gambler of his era, and was the man who got the call when someone came to New York looking to bet high. Yes, before Red or Shorty or Richie or anyone else, Johnny was THE MAN in New York.

Johnny played everyone who could play back then, holding his own against the likes of Cornbread, Ronnie and Ed Kelly. He established himself as one of the great players and gamblers in pool and gained the respect of his peers. Johnny was on the upper rung of pool for a long time, always on the know to what was going on and in with the right end most of the time. There were no stories about Johnny Ervolino going off. It just did not happen. He was the one taking other people off.

And Johnny had a lot to say to anyone he encountered. He had no "back down" in him. Johnny Ervolino was in your face and all over you if you came into "his" pool room. You better be ready if you ran into him, because he was!

One other thing. When he whispered you could hear it across the poolroom. :yes:

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't get to know Johnny until the late 90's but we became good friends and I would often rack for him while he was practicing straight pool all day at Amsterdam billiards, he would run 100's regularly even well into his 60's. He would run rack after rack while telling stories about James Evans, Harold Worst and Johnny Irish.

One match he had really stands out in my memory, he had lost a straight pool match against Mika Immonen a few months before playing even but It seemed Johnny was a little off that day. So Mika plays him again thinking it would be robbery, so he spots Johnny 50 balls in a 200 point match. I had seen Johnny practicing earlier and knew Mika was going to have a very hard time playing even with him let alone with a spot. So they played on a tight table (Johnny wouldn't gamble on a loose pocketed table) The first game Johnny absolutely toasts Mika something like 200-45, Johnny ran over 120 in that one. The next game Johnny wins 200-110, the next johnny wins 200-70ish with another 100+ run, he looked like he could take anyone in the world. Mika quit at that point. The amazing thing was that Johnny could not only win by so much but play 3 consecutive 200 point games at 66 or 67 years of age! And he still looked like he could easily keep playing.

I miss Johnny, he could be gruff with a lot of people but he was always kind to me.

Last edited:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Hey Fast Lenny
I've got a 2 hour straight pool training session where Johnny schools a player. He says some beautiful things about his love of family and of course, offers some great advice to his student.

PM your address and I'll send you a copy on DVD. If anybody has contact with Johnny's family, I would send a copy to them. His words are touching and his grandchild should hear them.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing him and Ronnie play one pocket in Burbank, Ca back in the late sixties. What a match to watch it was. Both players were eight and out almost every game. It was almost like they had an agreement of no safeties.

What a treasure it would be if this session had been taped.

One other time I went to one of my regular stops to play my fish and found him already in a game. He gave me the shhh sigh with his index finger over his lips as if he had a good one on the line. I just chuckled because he had a hold of the Velvet Foghorn on the end of that line.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once witnessed a gambling session he had with a good shortstop player in NYC around 1994 or 1995. They played a race to 11 of 9 ball (Johnny hated 9 ball). Johnny's in dead stroke and drills him without a single miss, in fact I don't think he made an error at all. Then they play one pocket a race to 4. Johnny drills him again but missed just one shot and not an easy shot either. After the match his backer says to him in all seriousness "what happened? How did you miss that shot?"

rivdon

Registered
i met johnny a few years ago at the cue club in vegas. i was practicing 14.1 and he came over and gave me a few tips on pattern play. later he needed a ride over to the riviera and i gave him one. on the way over i asked about a report that he had a run over 300 while he was back east visiting relatives. he verified the story and also said the pockets were tight. i was also privileged to see him play at the stardust tournaments in the early seventies. a great player and a really nice guy.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Even if you're not a one pocket fan, everyone should get a copy of the Mike Sigel vs Johnny Ervolino one pocket match from the early 90's that Accu-Stats just put back out on dvd.

Great match, commentary includes Cornbread, Buddy Hall, Incardona, and is one of the funniest commentaries ever.

MUST HAVE!

Road Warrior

chillaxin
Silver Member
Even if you're not a one pocket fan, everyone should get a copy of the Mike Sigel vs Johnny Ervolino one pocket match from the early 90's that Accu-Stats just put back out on dvd.

Great match, commentary includes Cornbread, Buddy Hall, Incardona, and is one of the funniest commentaries ever.

MUST HAVE!

Thanks for that tip, that's one that I'll order Today!!

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny Ervolino

The first time I met Johnny was at Grady's One Pocket event held in Reno (January of 1993). This is the one where the airport closed from the snow. A little over 100 players. $1,100 entry and last place got $1,000 back. I had also watched him play a few matches at the old Cuetopia in Vegas. He played and lost $500 in a straight pool match to Ortmann.

I had known Bill Amadeo from his 15+ years in Alaska. He had moved to Florida. He made the deal on the lease for his new room at this tournament. He was around mid 70 at this time.

He had backed Johnny many times back in New York and surrounding areas. All the old timers knew them both. Amadeo introduced me to Ervolino. What a character - but I enjoyed him a lot.

In the late 1990's and into the new millenium, I started spending time in Las Vegas. Ervolino would be at the cue club almost every day just playing pool. We talked and I started taking 'lessons' from him. One Pocket - I got the break. $10 game. First day I lost 18 games in a row. The guy was like a magician.

It was later that year when he ran the 366 balls on the East coast. Shortly after that, I flew him to Alaska to play in several of our events. He had a blast. Stayed there about a week and he would play 10 hours a day. He gave lessons and was a great pool friend to everyone.

In 2004 I moved to Vegas, and would see him every so often. I got VERY busy with the BCAPL and all - and was not even aware he was sick. I missed the opportunity to spend more time with him. I enjoyed him a lot.

I remember seeing him at the US OPEN 14.1 in New York (2000) - Weenie was in the booth and they were talking patterns. Johnny nailed it with like 8-10 balls on the table. Weenie could not believe it!

Several more stories - but gotta go.

Mark Griffin
BCAPL
Anchorage Billiard Palace (former)

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I remember seeing him at the US OPEN 14.1 in New York (2000) - Weenie was in the booth and they were talking patterns. Johnny nailed it with like 8-10 balls on the table. Weenie could not believe it!

This commentary can be heard on the Dallas West vs Mike Zuglan semi finals DVD from the 1992 US Open 14.1. He nailed the pattern perfectly and I will say this, it was no cookie cutter pattern and required position play the likes of Dallas West to perform. Johnny literally called half the rack out in like 5 seconds while I sat in front of the TV and scratched my head.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This commentary can be heard on the Dallas West vs Mike Zuglan semi finals DVD from the 1992 US Open 14.1. He nailed the pattern perfectly and I will say this, it was no cookie cutter pattern and required position play the likes of Dallas West to perform. Johnny literally called half the rack out in like 5 seconds while I sat in front of the TV and scratched my head.

Johnny really knew how each player would play a table. He used to talk me through some one pocket games and say this is the shot I would take and he'd explain why, then he'd say what eddie taylor would've done, then he 'd say Clem Metz would do this and he'd say each option was the right shot for that particular player.

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

MUST HAVE!

I have the tape of Corey Deuel vs. Shannon Daulton in one pocket from 2000. Grady and Johnny Ervolino are commentating and it is just a wonderful tape for folks who want a little more insight to one pocket.
A must have for any serious pool player.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The first time I ever went to Chelsea Billiards in NY Johnny Ervolino was there, and he was supposed to play some young kid for some big money.

So, the kid shows up, jaunts over toward Ervolino, and as he passes by says something like, "You're gonna get a game tonight Johnny!" I was thrilled at the prospect of getting to watch a legend like Ervolino bet it up against some young hotshot!

Well, the kid comes back out with a sandwich, sits halfway across the room, eats his sandwich, and then gets up and walks out the door! I was completely befuddled, so I turned to the guy next to me who had taken my lunch money earlier playing 9-ball and I said, "I don't understand. Aren't they gonna play?" And the guy says, "Yeah, they're gonna play. Just not tonight."

Ervolino was so pissed off he couldn't make a ball in the ocean, so he just unscrewed his cue and walked off muttering expletives under his breath.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
Johnny lived with me for a while in the mid-90's, sharing his pool knowledge as well as his talent in the kitchen. "Hey fatazz, you want Sunday Gravey?" <red pasta sauce for those non-italians>, man do I miss him. Anyway, one afternoon he was giving lessons at the local pool room to the owners and a few others in a group...the lessons were over but the REAL lesson shortly began.

John set up a classic break shot and took off running, around the 75-80th ball, he started to shoot LEFT HANDED running 20 or so. Then, he ran a rack ONE HANDED until he reached the 147th ball, framming a shot into the sidepocket tity. The whole time, whistling some doo-wop song and burning up one Chesterfield after another. "Cawfee, I need cawfee" he would scream in his foghorn-ish gravelly tone.

Voodoo~~~thought Johnny could do no wrong...even knowing the truth