Brunswick Gold Crown II Vs. Diamond

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
They have the same shelf. I did measure. Both use Leani slate too.

I hope that by "Diamonizing" people mean copying the 4 1/2" pockets because the Diamond 4 3/4" pockets spit balls out as just like the Olhausen. I believe that the standard pocket from Diamond plays tougher than the 4 1/2 pocket from Diamond.

If I ran a tournament and I could use any table, I would use the Diamond Pro-Am. The easier setup makes all the difference in consistency from table to table.

I prefer the way Brunswick GC's play and therefore it would be my choice.

If I didn't care about how the table played compared to the pool hall, and I was purchasing a furniture style table, I would go with Olhausen for styling, build quality, fit and finish and it's American made. Diamond would be a close second.

I guess I am wrong. Having the Diamond now, I would have swore it had deeper pockets; however, I will admit that after having my pockets recut by RKC, the Olhausen did play awesomely.

I am still happier now with the Diamond Pro-Am than I was with the Olhausen and everyone who played on both prefers the Diamond, as well.

I wish I would have measured before I sold my Olhausen because I really thought the shelf was shorter.

Thanks for the feedback.

morthnrdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every table plays differently. My view is the set up is key. You can take a perfect table, get a hack to set it up wrong, and it will play like crap. I would love to have either diamond or gc, though if it were a diamond, it would be a proam. We have some older diamond pros in my hall, and they bank much shorter, especially if stuck hard or firm, that the proams or gc.

I will be looking for a used/preowned 9 footer soon and it will come down to price point of gc VS diamond. In my view they are both good tables, the main thing is they must be set up properly by a good mechanic.

Well said, just like cloth, championship 3030, or simonis 860 hr, etc... I believe championship stretches up to 6 inches as oppose to simonis is 1½ inches which is okay but leaves lot of room for error if you don't have a good take mechanic.. I've heard n seen championship get nappy or slow where simonis is fast but typically not because of cloth but if installed wrong than leaves room for error on.both sides. slick stretched cloth may trap dirt or chalk under the felt. point being I agree with statements regarding a tbl mechanic with skills makes the table! Now if you plan to plat in sanctioned events or tours, many will use diamond's. if you are you to a GC or anyother tbl for that matter with big pockets, or deep pockets well some shots you can't perform on the GC like the diamond. ex...straight in long short, have to follow so need to.mab use high left and use the whole pocket to avoid a scratch and rather dbl out. Ive seen GC tbls in tournament's that the pocket and points are so obtrusive that it sucks the cb up n scratch. Same event, and this was a non sanctioned event yet 64 man field with Calcutta of over 12k and Im playing shots that are ratting bizarrely, than I get a shot I.had to stroke, a "work shot" and I here thud, tb rattles even though I hit it perfect... I walk over feel the "shimms" and its straight up wood on cloth. would if had better chance if there were tacks in the pocket.lol... seriously, totally agree, the tbl mechanic makes or breaks the functionality and enjoyment of table, so if you have to cut cost try to do it by getting good, Imho GC that is not like a rebuild engine from 5 models of cars and splurge on the table man... Iagain do agree, every pool room should have at least 1 live feed action tbl or ppractice tbl for those who play in tournaments that are using diamonds now.
Also, any opinion on the best Gold Crown table in terms of holding up to the years and being able to have it worked on so that it plays consistent or is it a crap shoot? I'm getting new tbl, replacing my gandy and want a good table that is true, and able to be fitted to my needs, ex should I shimm pockets on GC or have the rails lifted or raised? hope makes sense, sorry so long...just looking for table thats most consistently true and holds up without spending 8.plus k. rather find good table and have great tbl mechanic sweeting it up like no.other. ty James

playing cue-Cory Barnhart, Perry Weston
JB cue- custom.Steve Lomax
case's-Barton, Volturi, dealer bags
Chalk- Yes....lol

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Alright so I was having a conversation with a table mechanic yesterday and the question came up about which pool table to buy. He said the only pool table he would ever recommend is an Olhausen. Then I brought up Gold Crown and he said yes but only a Gold Crown II because of the adjustable legs.

What did interest me was when he said Diamond sucks and not to even consider it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if he was on bad terms with the Diamond company or not he seemed to allude to it.

I have a Olhausen, but if I had the choice I would own a Diamond first and a Gold Crown second......and my Olhausen comes in third.