Building a homemade pool table light

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone with a diamond light please let me know what kind of diffuser is in it? Is it silver metalized? Also, can you please give me the thickness and dimensions of the cells? I was able to find 2'x4' panels of 7/16" thick 5/8x5/8 cells for $20.10/sheet online. Wondering how close this is to what Diamond uses.

Any help would be appreciated.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here are some of the lights I've made for myself & others

Attachments

• aa 3 legs 5.JPG
    aa 3 legs 5.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,384
  • Crown Light Bottom sm 2.JPG
    Crown Light Bottom sm 2.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,957
  • Monty LITE sm.jpg
    Monty LITE sm.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 4,588
  • Sq Oak Lite sm 2.jpg
    Sq Oak Lite sm 2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 4,145
  • home sm.JPG
    home sm.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,984

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just completed my custom light to match my late 50's AMF. I just drew up the plans and my father in law and I completed the project. I'm very satisfied with the way it turned out. I used 8' tandem T8 fixtures from Home Depot with 5000K (natural light) bulbs. Here's the thread following the build: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=325290.

Some pics:

Last edited:

Miller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2013-10-28_19-11-07_717.jpg

2013-10-28_19-13-07_971.jpg

2013-10-28_19-15-28_472.jpg

2013-10-28_19-16-55_904.jpg

here is one i built for about $150. framed with 2x4. "skinned" it with luon. trimmed out with corner cove and 1-1/4 x 1/4 trim, clamped and glued then secured with some brads. just mounted the light (four T4s) on frame. trimmed diffusers with cordless circular saw.

poolpaul

Registered
pool table dining table San Diego

Olhausengo is having many varieties of pool table lights.You just check with their website and decide then.

mkjj123

Registered
Adding to an older thread vs. creating yet another on this topic.

Question on the space between the light bulbs and the parabolic diffuser/lens/grate. Is there a minimum amount of space required to ensure the light has a chance to spread out across the diffuser vs. being directly on top of the diffuser with little light shining laterally to spread across the diffuser.

The Diamond light is 8" deep (I believe). Assuming the light fixture to the bottom of the bulbs is 4", this leaves ~4" between the bulb and diffuser. Wondering if this is by design for light dispersion. I'd prefer a less-deep fixture, but don't want to limit lighting.

Thanks

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How I built mine

The Diamond table lights are awesome and I would of bought one for my 9' table, but I did not want to pay over 400 bucks to ship it to Alaska. So I built my own light using info from their web sight which you can do to.

I called the local electrical store and bought 4 of the 8' fluorescent bulbs they call for with 2 fixtures for the bulbs. I used 1/4 inch finished ply wood and built a 2' wide by 8' long and 12" deep box and trimmed it and the corners out with oak and used 2x2 pine on the inside on top to stiffen it up. I attached 1x4's to ply wood to fasten the fixtures to on top. I used 1x2 on the bottom on the inside also to help stiffen it up and hold 2 of the 4'x8' diffuser panels if I want to use them.

The wood inside of the box was painted with chrome spray paint and it really reflects and provides great lighting. The out side of the box was given a walnut stain. I used brass decorative screws on the out side to fasten all of this together and they contrast nicely with the walnut stain.

I bought a heavy duty extension cord and cut the female end off and hard wired it to both light fixtures and ran it up to and across the ceiling and down the wall to a plug in. This is much easier then hard wiring into the receptacle and I just plug it in as needed.

I put 2 walnut stained 4' 2x6's on the ceiling and secured them to the rafters with BIG wood screws. I bought strong chain with stainless turnbuckles to adjust height evenly and added stainless carabiner's for a quick disconnect at 4 points. I then screwed 5/16 eye bolts into the 2x6 on the ceiling and hung the lights about 4' above the table.

I used a tape measure, cordless drill, skill saw, framing square, wood clamps and a plumb bob and above mentioned hard ware and lumber.

I am very pleased with the light. I have around 300 bucks in my light. You can do this so get the bulbs and light fixtures and draw your plans out on a piece of paper. It is very simple to do. I paid a guy 50 bucks to wire it because I am electrically challenged. Him and a buddy helped me hang the light.

Except for the walnut stain my light looks almost identical to the good pics "Miller" provided and mine is also in a garage.

Your just making a box and attaching 2 light fixtures to it and hanging it from the ceiling. Go for it!

Last edited:

Dr_CollieCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One quick and easy solution is to get t-5 fluorescent fixtures from HD in a bright metal finish and hang them. They are $40-50 each. Start with 2 four-foot units with 2 or 4 bulbs each and add two more if you want more light. They provide lots of light and are easy to hang.

Dr_CollieCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are asking me, I don't use diffusers but you easily could by drilling some holes in the fixture and attaching the diffuser (sometimes called eggcrate) with electrical ties.

mkjj123

Registered
anyone care about being able to dim the pool table light? Fluorescents aren't generally dimmable. Seems it could add a nice effect when using the room but not playing pool. Anyone use LED floodlights or recessed lighting fixtures above the diffusers instead of fluorescents?