Burl hunt... some Cherry!

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went on a burl hunt with a local buddy. Found this Cherry burl in the back ground up high...see if you can spot it. Then we got another one in the 2nd pic that's an 18" bar disappearing in it... should get some nice blanks from it! Spotted a few other burls along the way I'll post in another thread.

IMG_0709_zpsn3feaucd.png

IMG_0707_zpsu554n4cw.png

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
since i know nothing about trees or wood
how do you know thats a "cherry burl" ????

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can go to Tree bark ID << link and compare the bark and find that this is a black Cherry tree. Black Cherry is commonly refered to as "Cherry" :thumbup:

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume this was all done legally. Burl poaching can get people in a whole lot of trouble.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, thanks for your concern. ;)

I am curious if it is necessary or helpful for the tree's survival to seal the area of the tree after removing a burl like the one in your picture. Just very curious, not a tree hugger trying to stir the pot!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
The cherry burl looks nice enough, but that giant white oak root burl looks a whole lot better. Can/did you spot it? I don't think your 18" bar is gonna do you much good on it, though :eek:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I am curious if it is necessary or helpful for the tree's survival to seal the area of the tree after removing a burl like the one in your picture. Just very curious, not a tree hugger trying to stir the pot!

Not necessary in that case. Would be no different than an arborist trimming/pruning a tree in your yard. It's a good time of year, too, before things really begin blooming out.

In the case of legality, I think the "burl poachers" are an issue they have out west with the giant redwoods & such. The west coast has a thriving burl market where big money can be made. In the eastern half of the country, burls are considered a disease, nuisance to be rid at any convenience. Loggers actually call them tree cancer and cut them to rot on the forest floor so they won't infect other trees. Apples & oranges between east & west. What gets you tossed in jail in California would get you a pat on the back in the Appalachians. All that said, it's still illegal if you aren't cutting on your own land or don't have permission, albeit about as illegal as jaywalking.

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cherry burl looks nice enough, but that giant white oak root burl looks a whole lot better. Can/did you spot it? I don't think your 18" bar is gonna do you much good on it, though :eek:

You mean this little root burl? LOL I wondered if anyone would see it!

1f2538cf-8c86-45d4-ab30-924d09b27607_zpssupuqqic.jpg

My father in law hauls logs for a lumber mill... he said they stack the burls up and burn 'em.... I've been after him to start bringing me a few. Lumber mills want straight grain clear lumber.

I have another fella I met through craigslist that is a logger (he was advertising for land to log) he has contacted me with burls. qbilder knows what he's talking about, in the east burls are a nusance, trash... I asked the logger to contact me with a particular species.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
The giveaway was the scruff that looks like the tree has a beard. Those are all "eyes". PIA to get, though, because you'd have to dig it up.