BUTTERFLY EFFECT CHALLENGE - fullsplice cue for donation

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bear with me on this one. I am throwing this idea out as a possible marketing idea for Anton and an "ordering" idea for the rest of us -- "Shuriken Cues in School Colors". (The idea is not originally mine. One of our members recently wrote that his BC Cue had the bonus benefit to him as it was done in his school colors. West Virginia if I remember right. I searched for the post but could not find it, so someone please "remember" him to me.)

Just think if LSU fans could get a good cue in Purple and Gold, or for Florida fans -- orange and blue. Y'all get the idea. If I owned a pool hall in a college town, I would keep a couple "School Cues" in stock for resale to local fans.
Wrong audience, imo.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice idea but perhaps complicated given war, distance, and language.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I looked some more for the West Virginia post, but no luck. So I looked up the school colors -- gold and blue -- so I know I did not make it up.

Anton_Bzh3

shurikencues@gmail.com
Silver Member
Bear with me on this one. I am throwing this idea out as a possible marketing idea for Anton and an "ordering" idea for the rest of us -- "Shuriken Cues in School Colors". (The idea is not originally mine. One of our members recently wrote that his BC Cue had the bonus benefit to him as it was done in his school colors. West Virginia if I remember right. I searched for the post but could not find it, so someone please "remember" him to me.)

Just think if LSU fans could get a good cue in Purple and Gold, or for Florida fans -- orange and blue. Y'all get the idea. If I owned a pool hall in a college town, I would keep a couple "School Cues" in stock for resale to local fans.
Thanks for the idea!
Custom requests are my passion. 99.9% of custom requests lead to amazing results.

That's why I've created the thread called "Fullsplice of the day". You all are welcome there. Feel free to post any your ideas of wood and splices combinations. Together we may workout some unique designs. From my side I'm gonna share some possible spliced geometries and appearence of different wood combinations.

I've started from the basic butterfly splice called "Classic". Gonna post an image to that thread.

Also I'm carrying the idea of monetizing and claiming rights for the author of a design. So you can get say 10% from each sale of the model you've invented. And be an owner of a collection. I love AZB, I believe we can realize it here.

Now I'm working on several interesting projects, one of them is a cue in U.S. Air Force colors. Once it is done, I'll show you the result.

Color combinations are like brands for sure.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Just out of curiosity, how accurately can you reproduce colors? Folks can get very particular about whether or not the color is "right". For instance Texas and Oklahoma State both use "orange" but they are definitely not the same hue. (My observations of OSU's team uniforms show its orange can change from year to year and from sport to sport.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/y4045o

I have also witnessed some knock down drag out tailgating discussions between OSU females as to whose orange was correct and whose was not. It can become a very serious issue under certain circumstances,

GO POKES!!!

Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are going to produce anything that utilizes school colors, it's best to look at the University's Brand Guidelines webpage.

Having said that, the following is a great site for colors for professional teams and colleges. In my experience, they update as the institution or organization changes their colors:

When manufacturing, you'll want to use their standardized color codes to get the perfect match. For the most part, I believe HEX is the most common standardized measurement used. That is expressed as a number sign followed by 6 letters, numbers or a combination. For example, pure White is #ffffff and pure black is #000000.

Below is the University of Texas Burnt Orange color and Oklahoma University's Orange color. But, because of color limitations on the internet, they will appear very differently, as they are, but they won't be a perfect match to the HEX code I show in each box. That's why you use the HEX code in manufacturing and get the correct color match.

So, if they can use standardized codes when creating their dyes for the cues, they can perfectly match any sports team's colors.

OSU Orange.jpg

Texas Burnt Orange.jpg

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Here's the dope on LSU's colors. Hu can tell us, with authority, if cues in such colors would sell in Baton Rouge. But my sense is there is something about the flash of purple and gold that Louisiana boys cannot resist. And, if one had such a thing then . . .

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the dope on LSU's colors. Hu can tell us, with authority, if cues in such colors would sell in Baton Rouge. But my sense is there is something about the flash of purple and gold that Louisiana boys cannot resist. And, if one had such a thing then . . .

I knew a guy that passed on marrying a beautiful very intelligent girl because it would interfere with his LSU tailgating.

Color match is mostly hit or miss. One piece of wood will dye differently than another.

Have to pick your market, build and price accordingly.

Just a few thoughts.

Hu

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew a guy that passed on marrying a beautiful very intelligent girl because it would interfere with his LSU tailgating.

Color match is mostly hit or miss. One piece of wood will dye differently than another.

Have to pick your market, build and price accordingly.

Just a few thoughts.

Hu
Those are good points. For the dye colors, I was thinking more of veneers,, since the base wood is typically neutral and dyed. (Although I think most cue makers buy them pre-dyed rather than go though the process of dyeing the veneers themselves.)

The market is another point. First, you limit yourself to pool players would would pay to have their own cue. Then, you limit that by the subgroup of a particular university. Still, as Hu says, priced right and it may make sense.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know about how much shipping is for these to the US? I'd like to include that in my donation but have no clue what something like that would be
It must not be much. I added $20 thinking it should cover it, if they are selling the base model for $100 shipped and 15% is going to the war efforts. Shooter08

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I agree with y'all, the market is the key. But then, isn't it always? Quality goes a long way, but a good gimmick never hurts. How many of those "el cheapo" Budweiser cues were sold?

I see two segments of buyers: high and low. The high end would be the LSU fan with a home pool table who would just have to have 2 or 4 Tiger Cues to complement his Tiger decor. The low would be the frat boys and bar bangers who bleed purple and gold. In this bunch. if one had such a cue the rest would surely covet it and might just have to buy one. At either end, you have to find fans who are absolutely rabid for their teams. In any case, the design would get the cues in their hands but that feeling one gets from shooting with a good cue would bring 'em back for more. BTW, I am not picking on LSU -- they are a special breed of fan. A night game in Death Valley is something you remember for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Paul_#_

At the Everything Billiards store nearby, the cue sticks that had football artwork on it sold fast. I suspect the football teams select a vendor and that is the only vendor that can sell that cue stick, the hat, the shirt, the whatever. If that is not correct, its probably too expensive for more than one vendor to pay the licensing fees to put the team colors on your stick. Anyway, its proven that people buy cues that have their team on it.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the Everything Billiards store nearby, the cue sticks that had football artwork on it sold fast. I suspect the football teams select a vendor and that is the only vendor that can sell that cue stick, the hat, the shirt, the whatever. If that is not correct, its probably too expensive for more than one vendor to pay the licensing fees to put the team colors on your stick. Anyway, its proven that people buy cues that have their team on it.
Yes, you are supposed to be licensed if you use the actual team names or logos. If just using the colors on a cue, probably not. But, add "LSU" and then probably yes.

I did get a cornhole board maker to make me a set using stuff that should have been licensed but was not. It was a one-off custom, so unlikely to cause much of a stir. I just tell folks they were custom and the guy is not in business anymore. No harm, no foul.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
You do realize the NFL is everywhere and goes after everyone!! What pics? Nobody said nothing about pics!

Last edited: