Buying without trying

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some players living remotely far from the states might have experinced what i have. I've been wanting to pick up a nice playing cue without the opportunity to put it on test. Where i live, players, amateurs or pros most, if not all, play with predator. Not sure if it's the choice of weapon or it's the only well known brand available.

The question is, if you were to purchase a custom player but didn't know how it would play, would you gamble your money anyway?

Would you purchase a cue just based reviews in the forum?

I would like to hear some opinions.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Check with some dealers. A good dealer is also a player & they know custom cues very well. You can give them your basic neccesities & preferences and they can reccomend a cue to you that likely will fit you nicely.

When folks talk to me about cues, I like them to tell me things like what kind of weight they like, how firm of a hit they prefer, how long their stroke is, etc. I also like knowing how well they play. From all the info I get, I can usually get a good lock on what they need & want as a playing cue. Speak with a dealer about this kind of stuff & more than likely, they can fit you in to a cue.

New2youq's is my dealer & I reccomend them to anybody looking for cues. They deal in several custom builders who all have solid reputations for great playing cues. There are several other great dealers I know through experience to include OnTheHill, HighEndCustom, Koo's Cues, TravD, & i'm sure i'm forgetting somebody. Most of the top dealers know one another & network on a freindly basis, so somebody will undoubtedly get you into a cue you'll love.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
there is always someone needing money and willing to sell a cue. try some out and find one you like and buy their cue used for a good deal. after you play enough you will know what you want and can take a chance on ordering one new. any good cue maker will make a cue to your specs that will be great compared to mass produced cues. but even lots of them are quite good and satisfactory for many.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It really depends on who the maker is and what you know about that custom maker. Not all cues hit alike, but despite the diff in hit most good cue makers cues hit very well. I've bought quite a few diff cues from specs and pics only, but I knew also of the makers reputation.

I might not like one as much as the other but every one of my cues play very well in a price range from $125-$2500 retail, the best playing cue I've got as per how I like a cue just so happens to be the cheapest out of all of them, but its from a very good cue maker.

Basically just got to know what to look for but if you don't then cues like predators are a safe buy b/c they are consistent. The older schons were known for the same, as was heubler. Now you got mezz and others that are gaining a name for themselves. But hey at one time Meucci ruled the world....its funny most good players scoff at them, but to leaguers Meucci was and still is for many the next sliced bread.

Grey Ghost

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel your pain. I have been dying to buy a cue from someone on here to play with, but it is hard without using it first.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
From my experience, you cant go by what people say...Where 1 person will like a Cue A, you will not like it because it may be too big in the butt section...I like Sugartree cues because the butt section fits my hand better. I have played with quite a few cues in the past year and each one is different....

Balance point, how the shaft is tapered to give that hit the cuemaker is going after..man...everything....I bought and sold many times on here to try and find the cue that fit me perfectly.....

I had an idea and wanted to try some cues out that I would have probably never had a chance to play with and come up with a Cue Build off.......
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=158043

The cuemakers will be revealed after everyone has tried them out so people can get an idea on if they want that particular cumaker to make them a cue....

Good luck in your search, if your like me...its never ending:thumbup:

Shawn

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
When you order a production cue or a custom cue made, you haven't tried them either.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I thought you oklahoma boys could shoot lights out with a cane pole and some shoe leather?

what gives,:wink:
Grey Ghost

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
We can, you werent supposed to give up our hustling secret:cool:

damit they aren't going to revoke my official oklahoma pool players army card are they? Come on man I'm going up there in feb. You can't take my card...im the official ambasador from oklahoma to louisiana. I learned to speak you guys language, and now trying to show them boys down here to speak that kind a english....you got to make it with ya lips and your cue tips brother.

can't believe i told everyone the key....
Grey GHost

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
damit they aren't going to revoke my official oklahoma pool players army card are they? Come on man I'm going up there in feb. You can't take my card...im the official ambasador from oklahoma to louisiana. I learned to speak you guys language, and now trying to show them boys down here to speak that kind a english....you got to make it with ya lips and your cue tips brother.

can't believe i told everyone the key....
Grey GHost

Its ok....you will only get 1 pass...next time you will be forced to use red chalk forever:thumbup:

I will be at the 1 pocket tourney in Feb taking pics.....see you there!
Shawn

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Its ok....you will only get 1 pass...next time you will be forced to use red chalk forever:thumbup:

I will be at the 1 pocket tourney in Feb taking pics.....see you there!
Shawn

dude red chalk sucks:nono:....thats a deal:thumbup::), see ya then partner
Grey Ghost

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
my2cents

I play with a predator 314 /2 triangle tip,but i have owned alot of differant cues,i wanted a custom cue and most players i play with have them, but its not going to make u a better player if thats what ur after,my cue plays better than i do,i have shot with 2000$ cues and werent impressed ,Have u thought about going 2 a big tourny and ask what there using,c if they will let u hit a ball with it,go 2 an expo i wouldnt order blind,i will tell u this i wouldnt trade my cue 4 any cue and never intend on buying another to play with, if it aint broke dont fix it,Champions play with both production and some play with custom.DONT ORDER JUST A NAME....peteypooldude HAPPY NEW YEAR

bigg7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just start buying

If you are worried just start cheap and try as many as you can.I went though about 20 cues before i found mine and i never took much of a loss on a cue i even made a few bucks several times.

dainese919

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just my opinion

1. do a lot of research about particular cue maker and his happy & unhappy customers' feedbacks
2. buy a cue from a well established cue maker is usually a safe bet
3. each cue hits differently even from the same cue maker
4. play lots of pool with it! at the end, it's you that need to get used to the cue but not the other way around!! :wink:

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never trust anyone else's opinion. A playing cue is a personal thing. Especially, ,,don't trust a pro. He is sponsored and has his own agenda, and buying a cue like his won't make you play better.

Cull the forums for a dependable, trustworthy cuemaker, and relay to him your own cue specs,,,the way YOU'D like it made, and hope for the best