Can a bad sport be a good team member?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've often wondered how someone who is a bad sport, and treats their opponents with great disrespect, would do in a team situation. What if you had to play with them?

Years ago back in the 90's we had a guy on our BCA team that would belittle every mistake by the rest of us. We all wanted to kill him. (not literally of course). It kinda made the rest of us closer. Today, I can't even remember his name.

"You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates" ~richard m. nixon
Your 1st paragraph said it all. I don't want to be in the same building with what you described, and I'm a pretty rough-cut character but I've always been a "good sport" win, lose, or draw!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Vince Lombardi

Roger Staubach said why do I want to shake hands with the enemy , in a violent sport I can see that , but that's football, in pool I'd say it's a big distraction,

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad sports

Bad sports usually are losers ,thats why they are bad sports.

I've often wondered how someone who is a bad sport, and treats their opponents with great disrespect, would do in a team situation. What if you had to play with them?

Years ago back in the 90's we had a guy on our BCA team that would belittle every mistake by the rest of us. We all wanted to kill him. (not literally of course). It kinda made the rest of us closer. Today, I can't even remember his name.

"You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates" ~richard m. nixon

I do not know, but I am sure that I would not ant to be on the same team with a person like that (no matter how strong of a player they are). I can't see how a player who belittles his team mates (when they make mistakes for example) could be good for the team. I am surprised that he did not either 1: get thrown off of the team by the Captain, or 2: Everyone on the team quit due to his poor inexcusable behavior. No amount of prize money is worth getting belittled like that (in my opinion). He must have thought that he was the best. I really hate players like that (who think that are so great, and better then everyone else). I love it so much when I see them get run over by another player.

Nobody likes to lose, it is difficult to be a good sport and a gracious loser.

But, there is also a line that should never be crossed.

This is the line between amateur and professional, child and adult.

I never liked to lose (always made me feel horrible), but I always took it out on myself (without excuses for why I lost), and always shook my opponents hand (with a smile on my face, saying something like "good match" at least).

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Ray,

For many years our BCAPL / ACS / VNEA team had at least one player who matches your description. Whether you view it as good or bad, we've reached the finals of all three in both Open and Master 8 and 9 ball. Seems the distractions caused by one or two players did not change the focus of the other players. It does beg the question of how much distraction is too much.

A player who complains to the rest of the team about where the cue ball ended up in relation to where it had to be, how lucky his opponent was to beat him, his opponent cheated, his opponent "sharked" him ad nauseum should only be a minor distraction. JMHO.

Lyn