Can anyone help me out with a decent quality cue for $150 price range?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have have bad credit, mostly from medical bills from ER visits that charged me like $800 a visit (so no business is going to ship me a cue before it is fully paid off), so I would have to make payments on it for a very long time before I could get it paid off. I just want something nice and cheap. At this point, I do not even care if it is warped. I just want something nice to shoot with.

I can't begin to tell you how easy it is to get credit there. That finance company is a high risk company. I doubt they turn anyone down. Plus you will most likely be able to get a cue of your choice and substantialy higher quality. The only way this doesn't work for you is if you're planning to flip it. Joss also has a payment plan. So let me ask, are you planning to get a cue and play pool, or are you trying to buy cheap and flip it for a profit?

I am honestly not a picky person, but when a seller advertises a cue to roll straight, and then a receive it with a very noticeable roll out in the joint and forearm, I think it is reasonable that I have every right to be upset about it. I could care less about finish flaws, or nicks and dings, but if the seller advertises it to roll straight, then it should roll straight when I receive it. Can you understand that?

I understand that perfectly, and my point exactly. You go to a retailer like Seyberts or Pool Dawg. You order a cue, if you don't like it, you return it per their return policy. I don't know what you're looking for in a cue, but if you have $150, you are probably going to get a $150 cue. A used $150 cue may well have a problem or two

Last edited:
I can't begin to tell you how easy it is to get credit there. That finance company is a high risk company. I doubt they turn anyone down. Plus you will most likely be able to get a cue of your choice and substantialy higher quality. The only way this doesn't work for you is if you're planning to flip it. Joss also has a payment plan. So let me ask, are you planning to get a cue and play pool, or are you trying to buy cheap and flip it for a profit?

I understand that perfectly, and my point exactly. You go to a retailer like Seyberts or Pool Dawg. You order a cue, if you don't like it, you return it per their return policy. I don't know what you're looking for in a cue, but if you have $150, you are probably going to get a $150 cue. A used $150 cue may well have a problem or two

I would never sell an item that I did not own, and was not fully paid for, but why would any person (or business) trust a person with poor credit on their word alone? They may have a lay away plan, but I would be very shocked if they would give me person like me credit on a cue. I would love to be able to get credit to buy a cue, but I do not see it happening. I have a very poor credit score. I am not looking to flip a cue. I am looking for something to shoot with, that I will really enjoy shooting with. If there ever came a time when I could not make any more payments on the cue, then I would ship it back to the owner. But who would ever trust me on that? A persons credit is only as good as their proven credit record.

Yeah, I understand that a $150 is not enough money to buy anything decent. I have very rarely ever purchased brand new cues from a retail shop. The last brand new cue I purchased was way back in the late 90's (from a site called onthehillcues, if I remember correctly), and I was able to get a very nice sneaky for around $200 I think. $200 does not buy what it did in the 90's. Today, that same cue would be at least $400 I think. Can't even get a really nice quality sneaky for under $400 these days. I am talking new prices though. I am looking to buy used, and just hoping some really nice cue comes up that nobody has any interest in. Maybe something from an unknown maker. Those SE cues (by Nat Green) can be had for very cheap, when they do come up for auction at no reserve, and they are really great quality cues, in my opinion. They are so rare though. You might see 1 every few years come up for auction on ebay. They are amazing players, so maybe that is why they so rarely come up for sale. They do not command very much value though, and that is what I look for in cues (nice players that nobody else wants). I know there are many great playing cues that do not command much money on the used market. I just have to be patient, and keep watching for them to show up for sale (at a really good price).

Last edited:

I thought it was worth a try to apply for a credit through seyberts, so I chose the $240 Meucci sneaky pete, and the credit company Affirm (that seyberts uses) denied my request for credit on that cue. I was not surprised. I do not have anything good on my credit record. To be honest, I at 1st tried to get credit for the Schon STL8 (because seyberts noted that the monthly payments would only be around $60 for 12 months, which I could afford), but I was denied credit for that cue. So, then I tried for the $240 Meucci, and I was still denied. My credit rating must be pretty bad. I can't even get a $240 loan for credit on a pool cue. Well, it was worth a try.

Seybert's has a payment plan for equipment...will help if you want to shoot with the cue, not if you want to flip it. Just putting that out there.

Thanks. I tried, but my credit rating is just too poor. They would not even give me credit for a $240 Meucci sneaky pete.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I would never sell an item that I did not own, and was not fully paid for, but why would any person (or business) trust a person with poor credit on their word alone? They may have a lay away plan, but I would be very shocked if they would give me person like me credit on a cue. I would love to be able to get credit to buy a cue, but I do not see it happening. I have a very poor credit score. I am not looking to flip a cue. I am looking for something to shoot with, that I will really enjoy shooting with. If there ever came a time when I could not make any more payments on the cue, then I would ship it back to the owner. But who would ever trust me on that? A persons credit is only as good as their proven credit record.

Yeah, I understand that a $150 is not enough money to buy anything decent. I have very rarely ever purchased brand new cues from a retail shop. The last brand new cue I purchased was way back in the late 90's (from a site called onthehillcues, if I remember correctly), and I was able to get a very nice sneaky for around $200 I think. $200 does not buy what it did in the 90's. Today, that same cue would be at least $400 I think. Can't even get a really nice quality sneaky for under $400 these days. I am talking new prices though. I am looking to buy used, and just hoping some really nice cue comes up that nobody has any interest in. Maybe something from an unknown maker. Those SE cues (by Nat Green) can be had for very cheap, when they do come up for auction at no reserve, and they are really great quality cues, in my opinion. They are so rare though. You might see 1 every few years come up for auction on ebay. They are amazing players, so maybe that is why they so rarely come up for sale. They do not command very much value though, and that is what I look for in cues (nice players that nobody else wants). I know there are many great playing cues that do not command much money on the used market. I just have to be patient, and keep watching for them to show up for sale (at a really good price).

As far as getting a cue financed by the company that Seyberts works with, you'll never know until you ask, and all they can say is 'no'. On Ebay there are a ton.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I skimmed throught the emails here, did not have time to read em all, and feel for you. I suggest trying paypal credit for a credit line. If you have any history on ebay hopefully they will extend you credit. Their deal is no interest for anything bought on ebay for 100 and for 6 months no interest. THey work closeluy w ebay due to present or past affiliation.

I watch e bay cues a lot and I recommend for around $ 100 making an offer on a viking cue. I like the older ones with the viking name in the window. If you buy right I would think it would be a safe investment. It is a buyers market and you just need to watch the many cues that are not selling and try to buy. But make sure that the cue rolls straight together and apart. My other thought is Schmelke cues. Call them and see what they have... supposed to be the most reasonable for new cues as I have heard. Lastly. Look for scratch and dent sales. I am not sure there is stuff in your range... but check out:

http://www.cuesight.com/scratchanddent.html

Good luck. Also if the shaft is old and not completely smooth, get some 1500 grit and finish off with 2000 grit and burnish the heck out of it with suede, leather or even a 1 dolllar bill if worse comes to worse.

ALso, find a cue builder near you and ask them about what type of olf shafts can be straightened. ANd how much it costs. Older cues like vikings that are not completely straight when rolled... may sell for far less than those that are straight so maybe that would work out.

Rich-Qs made in the 70- to 80s etc are solid, and definitely in your price range of 80-120. They have some followers but if its straight and on E bay it is better than spaulding or a sporting goods store cue.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I have have bad credit, mostly from medical bills from ER visits that charged me like $800 a visit (so no business is going to ship me a cue before it is fully paid off), so I would have to make payments on it for a very long time before I could get it paid off. I just want something nice and cheap. At this point, I do not even care if it is warped. I just want something nice to shoot with.

you can't stop hustling, can you? :rolleyes:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I skimmed throught the emails here, did not have time to read em all, and feel for you. I suggest trying paypal credit for a credit line. If you have any history on ebay hopefully they will extend you credit. Their deal is no interest for anything bought on ebay for 100 and for 6 months no interest. THey work closeluy w ebay due to present or past affiliation.

I watch e bay cues a lot and I recommend for around $ 100 making an offer on a viking cue. I like the older ones with the viking name in the window. If you buy right I would think it would be a safe investment. It is a buyers market and you just need to watch the many cues that are not selling and try to buy. But make sure that the cue rolls straight together and apart. My other thought is Schmelke cues. Call them and see what they have... supposed to be the most reasonable for new cues as I have heard. Lastly. Look for scratch and dent sales. I am not sure there is stuff in your range... but check out:

http://www.cuesight.com/scratchanddent.html

Good luck. Also if the shaft is old and not completely smooth, get some 1500 grit and finish off with 2000 grit and burnish the heck out of it with suede, leather or even a 1 dolllar bill if worse comes to worse.

ALso, find a cue builder near you and ask them about what type of olf shafts can be straightened. ANd how much it costs. Older cues like vikings that are not completely straight when rolled... may sell for far less than those that are straight so maybe that would work out.

Rich-Qs made in the 70- to 80s etc are solid, and definitely in your price range of 80-120. They have some followers but if its straight and on E bay it is better than spaulding or a sporting goods store cue.

this is why justin posts these want ads incessantly - he keeps casting his net and there seems to be an endless supply of people, like you, who feel bad for the poor lad and want to help.

it's a hustle.

he said he's done here but as you can see, he hasn't stopped posting that he is misunderstood and just wants something nice to shoot with.

Not trying to come across as mean but I can't look away any more from the webbed feet and all this quacking. It's a friggin' hustling duck! :grin:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

asiasdad

Banned
Yes, I promise. I am done on here. It is clear to me that nobody likes me here, and I do not have any ones respect. Nobody on here can be understanding that I have just had a lot of bad luck with receiving warped cues that were advertised as being straight, so yeah, I am done on here.

go away already...butt hurt or not...just go away