Can existing leather wrap be saved during a refinish?

luckylager

Registered
I'm trying to weigh the negatives involved in paying big money for an exotic leather wrap (e.g., elephant ear).

Thanks you,

Lucky Lager

luckylager

Registered
You should really give Jim Lee at JD Customs a buzz. He just did a wrap on my cue and it turned out ten times better than when it was new. He does great work. http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=7645.
That is his member page. Great turn around too.

Good luck, Tony Layne

I appreciate your reply but am not sure if we are discussing the same thing.

My concern is if I choose today to spend $400 on an elephant ear leather wrap, will I be able to have the cue refinished sometime in the future without sacrificing that expensive wrap?

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on how resilient that wrap is, it can be taken off and be reglued on. Some wraps though, cannot be saved once peeled off.

I made the mistake of attempting to do a refinish with a wrap on, and it didn't come out flush where the wrap meets. If you are willing to overlook that, it can be done, but to do it properly, that wrap needs to be taken off.

I would say you would have to just bite the bullet and have it done right.

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you spend $400 on an elephant ear wrap you should get the elephant with it.

I appreciate your reply but am not sure if we are discussing the same thing.

My concern is if I choose today to spend $400 on an elephant ear leather wrap, will I be able to have the cue refinished sometime in the future without sacrificing that expensive wrap?

It can be done but its not the correct way to do a refinish.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
No. If you want it done right, you must take the wrap off. There is no good way to make the transition. It will stick out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Last edited:

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cue maker, but if you think your cue may need a refinish, why don't you just get the refinish done now, then add your wrap.

Case closed :grin-square:

luckylager

Registered
I'm not a cue maker, but if you think your cue may need a refinish, why don't you just get the refinish done now, then add your wrap.

Case closed :grin-square:

In my case, the finish is 100% perfect at this point in time. It is the future that I am trying to take in to consideration.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have done refinishes with the wrap still on and if done very carefully it can be done right in most cases. If the wrap is black it makes it easier as it might need to be touched up and repolished.