Can you tell is a pool cue is fairly straight just be sighting down it with one eye?

I am meeting someone to purchase a cue, but there are no places anywhere around where the person lives, so I am just going to have to try to sight down it, to hopefully be able to tell that it is fairly straight.

I am not sure if it is even possible to tell how straight a cue is by just sighting down it.

Just curious to hear some opinions about what you think about this way of seeing if a cue is straight, if you do not have a pool table to roll it on?

Thanks.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't truly tell it by rolling on a table either.

IMHO one should never roll a cue on a table anyway.

I have seen your videos where you do it...and do it...and do it...and do it...and it grates on my nerves.

Site the cue, if it looks straight, that's all you have.

footshooter5

Registered

I have seen your videos where you do it...and do it...and do it...and do it...and it grates on my nerves.

Genuine curiosity as to why you can't tell it's straight by rolling it on a table, and why you should never roll a cue on a table? Learning point here for me, not a contentious one...

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member

What about putting the butt on the table with the forearm resting on the rail and rolling it that way? What exactly is wrong with that?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Genuine curiosity as to why you can't tell it's straight by rolling it on a table, and why you should never roll a cue on a table? Learning point here for me, not a contentious one...

It's just not terribly accurate. So why bother?

The only true way is on a lathe.

Siting the cue is just fine.

Rolling a cue, especially a nice one, on a table with chalk dust etc just gets the cue dirty. If you have a linen wrap then your just rolling your wrap in dirt.

Of course, others will feel differently. Which is fine. To each their own.

I have had situations where I lay my cue on the table, for example while racking...and somebody reaches over to give it a roll. First, don't touch my cue without asking. Second, stop rolling my cue around in the dirt. :angry:

I tend not to lay my cue on the table anyway. But if I do, I am not sitting there rolling it around.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about putting the butt on the table with the forearm resting on the rail and rolling it that way? What exactly is wrong with that?

You won't be able to tell the difference between a facing issue and a bend in the cue or an issue with the surface you are rolling it on. It also depends on the type of wobble you see if you roll the shaft and butt separately.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He has videos! About selecting a cue?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Feel free to do that with your cue.

I choose not to with mine.

I don't mean to make a big deal about it. I just prefer not to. I see it as a minor abuse of the cue.

Same thing with people that smack the side of the forearm to "listen" to the cue...good way to loosen an A joint IMHO. I don't do it. If you want to hear the tone of the cue, shoot balls with it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people roll it on a rail too

And some smack the side of the forearm....and I have seen some "bounce" the cue off the floor.

All kinds of things people will do to check out a cue.

Personally, I say look at it and shoot with it. :smile:

Yeah, I am crazy about rolling cues, lol. I am just crazy period. When ever I watch my videos , I wonder to myself why I rolled the cue back and forth as many times as I did, lol. The cue I am getting is an old meucci from the early 90s, so that is the only reason I am concerned. I know that meucci cues have maybe been known to warp more then other brands. This may just be a myth.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
And some smack the side of the forearm....and I have seen some "bounce" the cue off the floor.

All kinds of things people will do to check out a cue.

Personally, I say look at it and shoot with it. :smile:

Even the most LIBERAL minded folks wouldn't consider rolling a cue on a rail as a "minor abuse"....

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even the most LIBERAL minded folks wouldn't consider rolling a cue on a rail as a "minor abuse"....

That's the exact term I used. "minor".

Not such a big deal.

But you have to understand, where Justin is concerned this is a REALLY BIG DEAL.

So I didn't want him to get his nuts in an uproar.

I just want him to understand it's OK to not roll the cue and just site it. I mean, that's his only option anyway.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people put the butt on the rail with the tip on the surface of the table.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
if Justin gets the cue and doesn't deem the cue straight enough, after rolling it for a couple of days, the flipping process begins within a week, if it's laser straight the window is a month (+-)

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I am crazy about rolling cues, lol. I am just crazy period. When ever I watch my videos , I wonder to myself why I rolled the cue back and forth as many times as I did, lol. The cue I am getting is an old meucci from the early 90s, so that is the only reason I am concerned. I know that meucci cues have maybe been known to warp more then other brands. This may just be a myth.

Well now. Since it's a Meucci the answer is almost certainly yes, you will be able to tell it's crooked by looking down it,,,,,,,, I'd bet even money it's crooked BEFORE you look down it.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just not terribly accurate. So why bother?

The only true way is on a lathe.

Siting the cue is just fine.

Rolling a cue, especially a nice one, on a table with chalk dust etc just gets the cue dirty. If you have a linen wrap then your just rolling your wrap in dirt.

Of course, others will feel differently. Which is fine. To each their own.

I have had situations where I lay my cue on the table, for example while racking...and somebody reaches over to give it a roll. First, don't touch my cue without asking. Second, stop rolling my cue around in the dirt. :angry:

I tend not to lay my cue on the table anyway. But if I do, I am not sitting there rolling it around.

You are spot on Doc - re the determining straightness. The only thing rolling
a cue will reveal is how round it is. So unless you expect to also use it to
roll out pastry dough - it is a waste of time.

For the OP - please stop rolling cues.
Straight/not straight? Sight down the cue like a rifle. If you can't tell whether
or not it is straight - you shouldn't be playing pool anyway. It helps to slowly
rotate the cue as you look.

Dale

Well now. Since it's a Meucci the answer is almost certainly yes, you will be able to tell it's crooked by looking down it,,,,,,,, I'd bet even money it's crooked BEFORE you look down it.

I tried my best to sight down the butt and then the shaft (while turning it, like a lathe would do), and I could not see a warp in it. It was really cheap (only $60), so I gambled, and made the purchase. It is a plain Jane M-2 from the early 90s I think. Needs a tip really bad. Hopefully it turns out to be fairly straight. I just wanted something decent to shoot with. Hate using the bar cues, with slip on tips.

Last edited: