Carbon fiber butt?

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does a carbon fiber butt actually makes a difference?
Have at it AZ....

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought marrying up CF technology to a piece of wood didn't make sense. I have a full Becue and it plays better than any CF shaft, wood butt combo I've tried. My Nitti has stayed in the case, and that's saying something.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought marrying up CF technology to a piece of wood didn't make sense. I have a full Becue and it plays better than any CF shaft, wood butt combo I've tried. My Nitti has stayed in the case, and that's saying something.
By 'plays better' just what do you mean? I'm sure you like it but to say that a cf butt makes any tangible/measureable difference is kinda doubtful. I don't know how one could prove just what 'plays better' entails. I think cf shafts give a tiny bit more power compared to wood but other than that the one's i've tried aren't much diff than wood.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not trying to prove anything. What do you mean when you say you like an Ultraskin tip? How do you prove they're better than other tips? I don't know if the butt is a huge difference, but to me the full carbon plays really nice and has a great hit. For me, it plays better than other CF/wood matchups I've tried. The way things are headed I'm guessing the wooden cue will become a dinosaur sooner than later. Look how fast the CF shafts went from being unusual to everywhere.

soyale

I'm not trying to prove anything. What do you mean when you say you like an Ultraskin tip? How do you prove they're better than other tips? I don't know if the butt is a huge difference, but to me the full carbon plays really nice and has a great hit. For me, it plays better than other CF/wood matchups I've tried. The way things are headed I'm guessing the wooden cue will become a dinosaur sooner than later. Look how fast the CF shafts went from being unusual to everywhere.
no way wood cues are going anywhere.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no way wood cues are going anywhere.
I hope you're right because I really love the artisan work that custom cue makers do, and the CF that I've seen that they try to make "fancy" really doesn't cut it so far. Mine is just plain black. Young people aren't as much into customs, and seem to like the utility of CF. Time will tell.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which shaft did you get with your Becue?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Prime 12.5. At my age that seems to be my comfort level and just can't do the really tiny shaft sizes.
I agree with the small diameter shafts comment. You have to be very specific with where you strike the cue ball with anything under 11.00 diameter at the tip.

soyale

I know it’s been said before but golf equipment has gone through significant changes in the last 30 years. With that in
mind I respectfully disagree with your assessment.
only time will tell! i personally dislike carbon fiber and would be very sad to see wood cues die

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
only time will tell! i personally dislike carbon fiber and would be very sad to see wood cues die
I have designed and owned some high dollar beautiful wood cues and still have one left. Also I do not currently own a carbon fiber cue or shaft. I did buy a Mezz ex pro shaft that is wood with a carbon fiber tube. So I still feel wood but experience the carbon fiber play of the insert.

That has led me to understand the popularity of carbon fiber for so many players. There is something too it without a doubt. I am patiently waiting to see the next round of developments with carbon fiber shafts and butts for that matter.

Mezz has such a long history of experimenting with shafts I am keenly awaiting their next step in carbon fiber design. I may be wrong but am betting they are currently working on something new. Till then I just keep reading and learning.

FunChamp

I had a Revo paired with my Joss. I really like the shaft but something about it didn't feel right. The cue felt and "played" better with one of my wood shafts attached to it, so I sold the Revo. I bought the Nebula cue with the shaft at 12.4. It is a composite butt construction. I really really like it. The Rhino plays just like my Revo in my opinion. But it feels right attached to the composite butt. I think there is something to pairing proper materials to get a good feel and playability out of the specific equipment. The cf shaft, imo, feels and plays better to a butt that was specifically designed for it. Not unlike what the other poster said about his Becue.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Revo paired with my Joss. I really like the shaft but something about it didn't feel right. The cue felt and "played" better with one of my wood shafts attached to it, so I sold the Revo. I bought the Nebula cue with the shaft at 12.4. It is a composite butt construction. I really really like it. The Rhino plays just like my Revo in my opinion. But it feels right attached to the composite butt. I think there is something to pairing proper materials to get a good feel and playability out of the specific equipment. The cf shaft, imo, feels and plays better to a butt that was specifically designed for it. Not unlike what the other poster said about his Becue.
I sold two Joss, each with a CF shaft. Hated both, but the new owners love them. Never though I would find a good cf shafts for a Joss until the Rhino shaft sale.

The lesson is not run out and buy a Rhino: rather, it is be patient and test as many combinations as you can. Do not get hung up on weight and balance. I put a 4" aluminum mid extension on each of my 5/16×14 wood butts and with cf shafts they all came alive.

YMMV

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just my humble opinion.

I bought a GO custom cue with the 10mm snooker shaft. Fun to practice with, but I am not good enough to be using it in competition. I then tried my Mezz ignite on it and really like that combination.

So I agree that CF butt doesn't look near as nice as most good wood butts, but I like it for the following reasons:

1. Same as CF shafts, don't have to worry at all, or at least not nearly as much, that it will get dinged, scratched or warped.
2. Besides the GO custom shaft that came with the cue, haven't tried any other CF shafts except the Mezz Ignite on CF butt. I think that the Ignite feels better on the GO CF butt better than any other wood butts, including Mezz EC 9. I have also tried the GO custom 10 mm shaft on wood butt and didn't like the feel as well as on the CF butt.
3. Although maybe my imagination, Ignite shaft on the CF butt seems to have a little more power/juice.
4. Although I think any cue with a CF shaft has walk away appeal (someone grabbing the cue and walking away), but feel it is less if it a attached to a drab black colored CF butt.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my humble opinion.

I bought a GO custom cue with the 10mm snooker shaft. Fun to practice with, but I am not good enough to be using it in competition. I then tried my Mezz ignite on it and really like that combination.

So I agree that CF butt doesn't look near as nice as most good wood butts, but I like it for the following reasons:

1. Same as CF shafts, don't have to worry at all, or at least not nearly as much, that it will get dinged, scratched or warped.
2. Besides the GO custom shaft that came with the cue, haven't tried any other CF shafts except the Mezz Ignite on CF butt. I think that the Ignite feels better on the GO CF butt better than any other wood butts, including Mezz EC 9. I have also tried the GO custom 10 mm shaft on wood butt and didn't like the feel as well as on the CF butt.
3. Although maybe my imagination, Ignite shaft on the CF butt seems to have a little more power/juice.
4. Although I think any cue with a CF shaft has walk away appeal (someone grabbing the cue and walking away), but feel it is less if it an attached to a drab black colored CF butt.
As I said earlier my prayers are that Mezz is going to come out with a new cf shaft. And if they engineer a full cf cue my money in the cookie jar will be used for sure. At least some of it! Lol

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my humble opinion.

4. Although I think any cue with a CF shaft has walk away appeal (someone grabbing the cue and walking away), but feel it is less if it a attached to a drab black colored CF butt.
I also have the full carbon GO Customs cue which is my league night cue. I also have a GO Customs shaft (both GO Customs shafts are the same 12.5 and 30") on my 1994 Joss butt. I play with the Joss at home and really don't notice any difference. BUT if I use each cue at home on alternating shots to really compare the full carbon GO Customs cue does feel better to me.