Carved Ivory Tusk

POOLPLYR1111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Touchy subject here. I go to a lot of estate sales and recently purchased a large carved ivory tusk. Tusk is approximately 31 inches long. Would this be something cue makers might be interested in? Would you keep it as is considering the art aspect? I know dealing with ivory is shaky territory considering federal bans, state laws and crazy prices. . I was told by the company running the estate sale that this piece was in the family for over 100 years, but no paperwork. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 141
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 141
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 130
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 140

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it elephant ivory or walrus ivory?
Probably worth more as a carved or schrimshawed piece that it would be cutting it up to use for pool cues.

POOLPLYR1111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pm me your email and I can send you pics. I always have trouble uploading pics here on az.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll bet that big tusk just inside the entrance to Rambow’s Chgo. shop would be a problem today.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
pm me your email and I can send you pics. I always have trouble uploading pics here on az.
I see you uploaded the pics…..thanks
I would keep it as is
and enjoy its artistic presentation
not sure a cuemaker could use it
”Ask the Cuemaker” forum would be a better place to find out

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen 1 carved like that before. Pretty sure it is Elephant as that would be a huge Walrus tusk.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i was told it was elephant ivory.
There are tests for ivory such as a hot pin. Also, people who have handled it know what it looks like -- it has quite a distinctive grain. If there is an .antique store in your town, it might be worth a visit.

Here is a similar piece being offered for sale. Just put "carved ivory tusk" into google.

1683039096527.png