Centennial Restored

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have finished the upgrade of my first edition Centennial 1946 model. The rails looked great and the table has never played better. I installed new super speed rails and then 860HR cloth. Table is super fast and spot on in banks and running diamond to diamond for kicking purposes. Only fault that I have now, the table at one time had a ball return. I installed drop pockets back 20 years ago when I bought the table, and the ball return system was not with the table then. Problem I want to correct is , when shooting a ball slowly into the side pockets and the ball drops down, the bottom of the pocket rests on the aluminum side rail and the sound of the dropping ball resonates with a loud thump. Are there shallower or shorter pockets available to be used to stop the racket?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Centennial was set up at Tulane when it was new and recovered once. There’s 2 sets of staples on the original backer boards on the slates. That’s why I call it “brand new” it’s about as close to being new as possible.

I lived in Vegas when I bought it, I never set it up. I moved from Vegas to LA about 10 years ago, it’s in storage in Vegas(climate controlled) but it’s so dry there. I’ve thought about grabbing it and bringing it to LA and letting the wood acclimate to the slightly more humid air here(it’s pretty much stopped raining in SoCal).

I have a perfect GC 4 and the centennial and space for both. I haven’t played much in the last 5-6 years but kinda getting itchy to play. Nice problem to have. What table to put where?

I have one room with a little bit off work would be a perfect pool room for 1 table (no sun light, own bathroom, rail for rail birds, room for players, good caustics so no echo like some home home rooms have.

The other room is a down stairs living room that had a 8’ box I sold when I took possession of the house. It’s a ok area for social pool and the centennial would look best there.

I’ve been here 2 years and been lazy. I think I’m going to set up the centennial first as it’s the least work.

Just felt like working on my writing today, hope who ever reads this enjoys it and if your around la-let’s play. I had the world come play at my Vegas setup, no point in having nice tables without someone to play.

Best
Fatboy 🤠

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was going to install the 860HR Simonis back in Feb. Broke the table down and was ready to go to work, then the wife decided that the carpet
was not nice enough. Table had to be dismantled for new carpet. So I dismantled the table , but first thing I did was hang 3 plum bobs from the ceiling , to make sure
it was in the same place it started from( That way She couldn't state that the table wasn't where it was and it needed to be moved again). This table was an early one, with one piece long rails. Had a local refinish company to add the semi gloss lacquer finish. I installed the Super Speed Cushions
and then had a younger mechanic install the rail and bed cloth. Gotta say of all the years I have installed cloth, this kid pulled the stuff tight. I was warned about ball hop,,I'm not seeing it..table plays super fast and is banking better that any of these tables I have ever played on. Just trying to find some shorter side pockets , so as to make the racket go away.

Last edited:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Here are the pics for Chip. I added these in medium resolution, if higher is needed I can replace them, but let's see how these turn out first.

Chip, you now have a beautiful table! Happen to have any before pictures?
f1a187b2bfc8136ac7af29fe62a26359.jpg
4f63b7405525cc7e5b9a441c17d078fe.jpg

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So sorry that I don't have before and after pics. Bought the table about 20 years ago. The table was one of 5 that came out of a room in Goldsboro NC. The owner sold all of the tables and invested in new Kim Steele tables and was not happy afterwards. The aluminum sides had lost all the anodizing after all the years. I knew of an company called Electroplate rite in Dublin Va that we did a lot of biz with back in time. I called up and asked if they could polish aluminum. Yep bring ya stuff up and we will fix it for ya. I drove the 100 miles to the spot, old man about 80 came out and looked at the aluminum and stated,,all that came off of a Brunswick Centennial Anniversary pool table. We did all the work on those tables when Brunswick built them . The aluminum was really shining, like a light bulb afterwards after the polishing that company accomplished.
There was a Brunswick plant down the road about 60 miles off of inter 81 at the time in Marion VA. where these tables were being built.
Thanks 8cree for taking the time to load the pic's. 100 ball runs don't come as easy as they once did for me,,but I've had 2 into the 90's since this table has been together. It plays sweet, but I'm finding I have to be careful when letting my stroke out,,it's really really fast. Thanks to all here that gave me insight back months ago when I started out on this project,,I studied for a long time going over every thing and taking notes. It would have not turned out as well if I had worked all this on my own. Thanks too all.

Last edited:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
So sorry that I don't have before and after pics. Bought the table about 20 years ago. The table was one of 5 that came out of a room in Goldsboro NC. The owner sold all of the table and invested in new Kim Steele table and was not happy afterwards. The aluminum sides had lost all the anodizing after all the years. I knew of an company called Electroplate rite in Dublin Va that we did a lot of biz with back in time. I called up and asked if they could polish aluminum. Yep bring ya stuff up and we will fix it for ya. I drove the 100 miles to the spot, old man about 80 came out and looked at the aluminum and stated,,all that came off of a Brunswick Centennial Anniversary pool table. We did all the work on those tables when Brunswick built them . The aluminum really, like a light bulb afterwards. shown after the polish.
There was a Brunswick plant down the road about 60 miles off of inter 81 at the time.
Thanks 8cree for taking the time to load the pic's. 100 ball runs don't come as easy as they once did for me,,but I've had 2 into the 90's since this table has been together. It plays sweet, but I'm finding I have to be careful when letting my stroke out,,it's really really fast. Thanks to all here that gave me insight back months ago when I started out on this project,,I studied for a long time going over every thing and taking notes. It would have not turned out as well if I had worked all this on my own. Thanks too all.
Still, very cool table and thanks for sharing it with us!

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had really just finished some things up down there. There's about 5 nice guitars ranging from a 32 National with the Palm trees and such etched
into the chrome finish and 64 Strat I bought back in 68,,Fender Band Master Reverb amp along with Fender Super Twin Reverb and a D28 Martin to go easy on the ear drums with. The Band Master Stack is stuffed with Altec Lansing Speakers I bought back in 73.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have finished the upgrade of my first edition Centennial 1946 model. The rails looked great and the table has never played better. I installed new super speed rails and then 860HR cloth. Table is super fast and spot on in banks and running diamond to diamond for kicking purposes. Only fault that I have now, the table at one time had a ball return. I installed drop pockets back 20 years ago when I bought the table, and the ball return system was not with the table then. Problem I want to correct is , when shooting a ball slowly into the side pockets and the ball drops down, the bottom of the pocket rests on the aluminum side rail and the sound of the dropping ball resonates with a loud thump. Are there shallower or shorter pockets available to be used to stop the racket?
Nice table and room. I'm going to assume the table is no longer 50x100 with the new cushions, but is off by a 1/4". Of course no one will notice :)
Is It missing an apron?

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No apron missing, just finished installing it this past week. Yep it's off 1/4 inch, but others like me can tell when it's of 1/64th LOL
and like I tell all my friends around, you can look back 17 generations in my family (both sides) and can't find where any of them ever told a lie.

tomatoshooter

So sorry that I don't have before and after pics. Bought the table about 20 years ago. The table was one of 5 that came out of a room in Goldsboro NC. The owner sold all of the tables and invested in new Kim Steele tables and was not happy afterwards. The aluminum sides had lost all the anodizing after all the years. I knew of an company called Electroplate rite in Dublin Va that we did a lot of biz with back in time. I called up and asked if they could polish aluminum. Yep bring ya stuff up and we will fix it for ya. I drove the 100 miles to the spot, old man about 80 came out and looked at the aluminum and stated,,all that came off of a Brunswick Centennial Anniversary pool table. We did all the work on those tables when Brunswick built them . The aluminum was really shining, like a light bulb afterwards after the polishing that company accomplished.
There was a Brunswick plant down the road about 60 miles off of inter 81 at the time in Marion VA. where these tables were being built.
That's so awesome that one of the original aluminum guys is still there! Some say it's only original once but if the original guy works on it maybe it can be original twice!