Championship 3030 stretching...

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are about to install our first 3030 and I read somewhere that these cloths stretch a lot more than the Simonis, are there any known stretch indexes for these cloths? Thanks!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I don't know the known one, but RKC explains the stretch index in this video. It can be used to figure out how much stretch index if you don't get an answer. He goes through the math of it. Hopefully somebody has done it, I've only done 860 and 860HR, no idea on the 3030.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Championship stretches weird. It does not pull the same in both directions.
Which is why you need to back off on the side to side stretch, and move it to the end to end.
I'll give you an example. I installed the 3030 on a Valley 7ft bar table a little while back, I stretched the side to side 2" which allowed me to stretch it end to end by 2" at both ends. Because I stretched it 4" overall in length, that made up for the side to side stretch, making it even tighter. So, the 7ft slate is 43" wide, 2"÷43" gives you a .04651 inches of stretch per inch. A 9ft slate is 57" wide, so 57"×.04651= 2.65" or about 2 9/16" stretch side to side and 2 9/16" stretch at both ends. When you stretch the hell out of it side to side, then try stretching it end to end, the end to end stretch always loosen up, but not the side to side, because the stretch isn't balanced!!

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is why you need to back off on the side to side stretch, and move it to the end to end.
I'll give you an example. I installed the 3030 on a Valley 7ft bar table a little while back, I stretched the side to side 2" which allowed me to stretch it end to end by 2" at both ends. Because I stretched it 4" overall in length, that made up for the side to side stretch, making it even tighter. So, the 7ft slate is 43" wide, 2"÷43" gives you a .04651 inches of stretch per inch. A 9ft slate is 57" wide, so 57"×.04651= 2.65" or about 2 9/16" stretch side to side and 2 9/16" stretch at both ends. When you stretch the hell out of it side to side, then try stretching it end to end, the end to end stretch always loosen up, but not the side to side, because the stretch isn't balanced!!
Good Thank You for this answer RKC, I understand very well what you have just explained there, but it is to find the right index to be able to stretch it equally in both directions and that they are well stretched everywhere, if you leave with less or more stretch on the side the work will not be optimal, very happy with your help and thank you again!!

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The goal is for the cloth to be stretched equally in both directions and at the same time stretched like a guitar string, but without knowing any measurements it can take quite a bit longer to achieve the right result, Thanks Professor!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The goal is for the cloth to be stretched equally in both directions and at the same time stretched like a guitar string, but without knowing any measurements it can take quite a bit longer to achieve the right result, Thanks Professor!!
If you're doing multiple tables, then your first table is your find the stretch table. What ever your side to side stretch is, it must be matched at both ends. But it's based on the second end if you need to make a change in your side to side stretch. Example is, when stretching the second end, let's say you can stretch the cloth a 1/2" more than you marked it out to. OK, second table, add an 1/8" to the side to side stretch, then add an 1/8" to both ends and judge out the second end stretch finishes up. If it's perfect, then take that stretch index, divide it by the width of the slate, then you'll know exactly how much the cloth will stretch per inch. Keep that number handy, then regardless of the size of the slate you're doing, all you have to do is take the width of the slate X the per inch stretch, and there's your stretch index for that size table. Not everyone has the same strength to stretch the cloth, so the stretch index will vary from mechanic to mechanic, but the cloth will still be stretched proportionately.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're doing multiple tables, then your first table is your find the stretch table. What ever your side to side stretch is, it must be matched at both ends. But it's based on the second end if you need to make a change in your side to side stretch. Example is, when stretching the second end, let's say you can stretch the cloth a 1/2" more than you marked it out to. OK, second table, add an 1/8" to the side to side stretch, then add an 1/8" to both ends and judge out the second end stretch finishes up. If it's perfect, then take that stretch index, divide it by the width of the slate, then you'll know exactly how much the cloth will stretch per inch. Keep that number handy, then regardless of the size of the slate you're doing, all you have to do is take the width of the slate X the per inch stretch, and there's your stretch index for that size table. Not everyone has the same strength to stretch the cloth, so the stretch index will vary from mechanic to mechanic, but the cloth will still be stretched proportionately.
In fact this is a first cloth for testing purposes but if the results are good we will probably order 1 or 2 rolls, so I will go with your index measurement and take notes as you say on what this gives the stretching of the second long side or the total stretching of the long side and we can adjust if necessary. Thanks for the help RKC!