Checking the Setup

CompuPool

Registered
Hello Guys...

I'm out here in Hawaii and have recently purchased a 9' Olhausen Portland Hampton for the gameroom.

Being here in the middle of the pond there's not a lot of choice for dealers and mechanics so you get what's available. The dealer for Brunswick and Olhausen is the same outfit. So far they've been a pleasure to deal with but I have no idea regarding their level of expertise outside of the fact that they've been doing it for years.

The table will be delivered in a few weeks and I was hoping that you folks might be able to give me a few tips on the best way to make sure that I get a decent installation.

One tip I've heard is to have a 1 foot square piece of glass and place it around the table with a ball on it to check leveling.

I've played a fair amount of commercial tables throughout the years but have never been around during a setup.

What should I watch and look for before, during and after the mechanics do their work?

Thanks

CompuPool

OTLB

Banned
Hello Guys...

I'm out here in Hawaii and have recently purchased a 9' Olhausen Portland Hampton for the gameroom.

Being here in the middle of the pond there's not a lot of choice for dealers and mechanics so you get what's available. The dealer for Brunswick and Olhausen is the same outfit. So far they've been a pleasure to deal with but I have no idea regarding their level of expertise outside of the fact that they've been doing it for years.

The table will be delivered in a few weeks and I was hoping that you folks might be able to give me a few tips on the best way to make sure that I get a decent installation.

One tip I've heard is to have a 1 foot square piece of glass and place it around the table with a ball on it to check leveling, super glue seams, the things you have seen in the forum... read through the forum a bit there is alot

I've played a fair amount of commercial tables throughout the years but have never been around during a setup.

What should I watch and look for before, during and after the mechanics do their work?

Thanks

CompuPool

glass will NOT work, fyi they should use machinist levels, thats what you would want to observe but caution you as the mech may not like it.

Last edited:

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am not a mechanic...but I have gone through and corrected the work that the hack did on my table before I found this website.

the problem with the ball method is that balls are rarely a perfect sphere....and the glass ...who knows if that's perfect.

here are some tips....

He should have a machinist level and he should use it on top of a carpenters level or other long straight edge.

you should watch him "work" to get the level absolutely perfect it takes some time ....see the sticky by RKC in this forum. First the frame needs to be levele

the slates should be perfectly even before he does does the seams ...

measure the rail height after the install should be 1 7/16" and even all the way around.

look at the inside of the pockets as they should be clean and even
measure the size of the pockets they should be uniform no wood or staples should be exposed.

cloth should be even everywhere ..there should be no bunching.

look down the side rails to make sure they are even.

check that the cushions rebound nicely with no abnormal sounds

spend the money to get the simonis ...you won't be disappointed.

and personally I don't care if he is offended when I check these things ..you are paying good money and you deserve a good setup...

Hello Guys...

One tip I've heard is to have a 1 foot square piece of glass and place it around the table with a ball on it to check leveling.

Thanks

CompuPool

CompuPool

Registered
I'm not concerned about offending them by watching. I agree that the buyer has every right to observe. Golden Rule and all that.

I have a fair assortment of high end levels at my disposal as well but I'd never use them while they're working. That would be offensive.

The dealer is the manufacturer's representative and I trust that in order to keep their association with the manufacturer they'll do everything to please the customer. I'm not willing to accept shoddy workmanship but like I said, these guys are the only game in the state. I have no options.

I appreciate the tips on what to watch for and what to check. I certainly hope that I'll not have cause to say that they hacked the job.

Trust but verify.

Thanks

OTLB

Banned
from your previous statement about a glass plate and pool ball. Some time ago I referred to a method like that except the method I use utilizes a .5 inch plate ground to .001 on both sides with a SS BB .0005 as in the video

yes this would work if you had them

thanks to my good friend for reminding me, wouldn't want you guys being confused about something I said in the past. I NEVER said use a glass plate ever.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=9fqumt&s=7

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha and congrats on the new aquisition. I am also looking to pick up a table here and have been wondering the same about the level of mech's on island. Talked with Bob a while back at Brian's, their mech by the by, and as I recall he said he had been doing this for about 30 yrs. and not all on island. Good luck with the table as I'm certain your going to enjoy it tremendously. Take care and Mahalo Carl

CompuPool

Registered
I never said that it was you that said it so rest assured. The truth is I saw it mentioned on a different forum.

I had doubts but with a quality ball and perfect glass it would work to indicate moderate to serious leveling issues. Unfortunately the glass is a bigger problem than the ball.

Being a recreational player (and working in a different however precise field) I don't know the best way to "check" someone's work on a setup.

That's why I'm here looking for suggestions. I appreciate the one's I've received thus far and am searching the "sticky" on 3 piece slate and other posts for more info.

Thanks

CompuPool

Registered
Aloha and congrats on the new aquisition. I am also looking to pick up a table here and have been wondering the same about the level of mech's on island. Talked with Bob a while back at Brian's, their mech by the by, and as I recall he said he had been doing this for about 30 yrs. and not all on island. Good luck with the table as I'm certain your going to enjoy it tremendously. Take care and Mahalo Carl

Aloha Carl...

Yes, I'm purchasing through Brian's. I've been told that the crew there has been together for about 30 years. I was also told that "Mike Buck" (the radio personality) just recently got a table through them. They do work the neighbor islands as well.

Thanks for the "aloha" and the wishes.

QuickEdward

Silver Member
I can't help but laugh when I read some of this stuff...

Using glass, balls, and bb's to check the level... all that would be great you were going to be playing pool on glass with bb's. I have developed a revolutionary way, never before thought of, of checking the level of the table. You will need a few items...

First, get a piece of wood, preferably maple. This wood should be about 58" long and cylindrical in shape, tapering from about 1 3/4" inches on one end, down to about 13mm on the other. On the small end superglue a piece of compressed leather and trim it to the same outside diameter of the wood (for additional strength a collar or "ferrule" may be constructed out of a variety of materials). Round the leather off to about the same curvature as a nickel. Since I'm the inventor, we'll call this a QEStik (tm). I will be producing these in the future - they will be motorized and walk up and down stairs.

Then you'll need a perfectly round sphere made of phenolic resin. It should be precisely 2.25 inches in diameter. We'll call this a "QEOrb" (tm).

You should use the QEStik to strike the QEOrb on a path from the center diamond of one end of the table to the center diamond on the other end. Strike only as hard as you need to to get the QEOrb to travel one table length. You must make sure that the leather tip affixed to the QEStick is perfectly centered on the QEOrb when striking. A little chalk rubbed onto the QEStik leather tip is helpful. Repeat this process several times from diamond to opposite diamond. If the QEOrb rolls off to one side of the targeted diamond in a consistent manner, then your table is not level.

While this is all tongue-in-cheek, the point is this: Why are you trying to make the simple complicated?

CompuPool

Registered
I can't help but laugh when I read some of this stuff...

Using glass, balls, and bb's to check the level... all that would be great you were going to be playing pool on glass with bb's. I have developed a revolutionary way, never before thought of, of checking the level of the table. You will need a few items...

First, get a piece of wood, preferably maple. This wood should be about 58" long and cylindrical in shape, tapering from about 1 3/4" inches on one end, down to about 13mm on the other. On the small end superglue a piece of compressed leather and trim it to the same outside diameter of the wood (for additional strength a collar or "ferrule" may be constructed out of a variety of materials). Round the leather off to about the same curvature as a nickel. Since I'm the inventor, we'll call this a QEStik (tm). I will be producing these in the future - they will be motorized and walk up and down stairs.

Then you'll need a perfectly round sphere made of phenolic resin. It should be precisely 2.25 inches in diameter. We'll call this a "QEOrb" (tm).

You should use the QEStik to strike the QEOrb on a path from the center diamond of one end of the table to the center diamond on the other end. Strike only as hard as you need to to get the QEOrb to travel one table length. You must make sure that the leather tip affixed to the QEStick is perfectly centered on the QEOrb when striking. A little chalk rubbed onto the QEStik leather tip is helpful. Repeat this process several times from diamond to opposite diamond. If the QEOrb rolls off to one side of the targeted diamond in a consistent manner, then your table is not level.

While this is all tongue-in-cheek, the point is this: Why are you trying to make the simple complicated?

Well Eddie... I guess that's because I've noticed that with my fine technique I can make a QEOrb make a "U" turn on a level table without batting an eye.

Maybe I need to invite you over for some "straight" shootin'?

CompuPool

Registered
Seriously though, Eddie...

I know that my level of play doesn't warrant a finely setup table. I have a lot to learn. But I figure since I'm willing to raise the level of my play enough to buy a new table it should be far more capable of high level play than I am. That way I can improve and learn from my mistakes without doubting the table.

My thoughts anyway.

Thanks

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said before and will again, welcome to the forum. This place is rich with character. Aloha Carl

CompuPool

Registered
I've belonged to and still belong to other forums on other subjects. All forums are the same in that everyone and all types are fairly represented. Having read some of the post here I know that this is no different and I welcome it.

There seems to be a good cross section of the pool playing world here and my Kudos to the Forum Admin for putting together such a great place.

I'm sure I and my family will learn a lot and have little to contribute for quite a while... but I am tenacious and I will be a better pool player because of all of you.

Thanks

Dartman

Silver Member
I know that my level of play doesn't warrant a finely setup table. ...

Say what? :confused:
You're buying a table from a dealer that should be setup correctly regardless of your level of play.
to include:
the table is level to preclude any ball drift
the cloth is installed correctly and stretched evenly
the playfield dimensions are set precisely for the table size
drop pockets or ball return correctly setup
get tips on maintenance from either the dealer or installer

I'd like to think that an install crew with the experience you mentioned will do a proper job.

CompuPool

Registered
I'd like to think that too, Dartman, but I've been fooled before in other areas where I thought the same thing. I never just trust that the vendor will do the right thing. If I can check their work I will and that's especially true where there's no one else around for 2000 miles. Some people take advantage of that "lack of competition".

I agree with you that I deserve a perfect setup since I'm paying for it. It really has nothing to do with my current skill level. Just money in exchange for expertise.

I don't want to be ignorant about how to know I've gotten what I paid for. That's why I'm here.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
If you can't find anyone give me a call I used to live Kailua and Hawaii Kai. I need to come visit friends and take a vacation too. Ther used to be a top player named steve but dont remeber his last name He should know of someone. If no luck call i'll come out and do it for you guys.

Craig 916-825-2036

CompuPool

Registered
Thanks Craig...

I have a whole lot of folks offering to make the sacrifice of coming and doin' it for me... mechanics and non-mechanics alike. Will you charge me by the mile?

Must be cold back there in Sacramento.

:wink:

Last edited:

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I'm strickly be the inch......lol

I lived there for 9 years and spent my school summers on Maui. Ticket not that much ship my tools spend a few weeks working on a few tables and enjoy life. I used to play darts over ther for years and was back up on the Hawaii dart dreeam team I actually miss it over there. Maybe run an add for awhile then go for a month if works it works if not play time small gamble worse case i surf dive and play .

aloha,
craig

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I'm not concerned about offending them by watching. I agree that the buyer has every right to observe. Golden Rule and all that.

I have a fair assortment of high end levels at my disposal as well but I'd never use them while they're working. That would be offensive.

The dealer is the manufacturer's representative and I trust that in order to keep their association with the manufacturer they'll do everything to please the customer. I'm not willing to accept shoddy workmanship but like I said, these guys are the only game in the state. I have no options.

I appreciate the tips on what to watch for and what to check. I certainly hope that I'll not have cause to say that they hacked the job.

Trust but verify.

Thanks

I don't suggest being dis-respectful or make your mechanic nervous. there nothing more annoying than a customer looking over your shoulder everytime the level is moved or getting in the way when I need to walk around the table. what if you have the best mechanic in your area, you insult him by questioning every move he makes and then next time he refuses to work for you.

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha all, if I may, I must concure with the o.p. As I live on Oahu as well and play at all pool halls. I can attest to the fact that there is no other competition. It is more important that for those of us who are not entirely savy with regards to the propper set up for a table on this Island to enlist the help of the pro's in this forum. Any check list, even the most basic, would help us tremendously.
Perhaps if one of you, Master Mechanic's, could vet the mechanic we have out here we could understand more clearly if we have a competent Mechanic on Island or not. The room tables at the establishment the o.p. bought and is having his table installed from, are somewhat lacking I believe. But I'm just a shooter of many years and many different tables be it carom, snooker or pocket tables. As always we depend upon your knowledge, expertise and gratitude emensly out here as we really have no where else to turn. Mahalo Carl