China 8 ball Invitational Brackets?

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Shi advanced into final. Potts and Appleton will match tomorrow for the other final seat.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shi won the hot seat match over Darren 12-9. It wasn't really that close. At 5-5, Shi just took over, playing brilliant pool. He shot with calm confidence, controlling each rack with superb shotmaking and excellent cue ball control. His table strategy was well thought out as well. Soon the score stood at 10-5 and the match was all but over as the clock ran down to the final twenty minutes. The two hour match concept is not a bad way to play, with a player shot clock in use as well. This picks up the pace of the match and gives it a nice tempo. Of course, near the end of the two hours, with one player enjoying a good lead, the match is basically over.

The look and feel of the match had a decidedly snooker aura to it, from the beautiful Joy table with tis 3.5" corner pockets, to the dress attire of the players. I thought the camera work was excellent at well, with emphasis on the single "end zone" camera, again much like you would see in a televised snooker match. The CCTV feed was good, with a live television look to it.

I'm not familiar with this young man Shi Hanqing, but he looks like the favorite to win now, especially already being in the hot seat. He pockets the balls cleanly and moves the cue ball expertly. Appears to be in his early 20's.

In closing, there is a distinct reverence for the game shown here that I appreciated. It's obvious the Chinese appreciate and respect the subtleties of the game. You can't help but surmise that pool is treated as a "major" sport over there. If I could say BRAVO in Chinese I would. :D

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Shi won the hot seat match over Darren 12-9. It wasn't really that close. At 5-5, Shi just took over, playing brilliant pool. He shot with calm confidence, controlling each rack with superb shotmaking and excellent cue ball control. His table strategy was well thought out as well. Soon the score stood at 10-5 and the match was all but over as the clock ran down to the final twenty minutes. The two hour match concept is not a bad way to play, with a player shot clock in use as well. This picks up the pace of the match and gives it a nice tempo. Of course, near the end of the two hours, with one player enjoying a good lead, the match is basically over.

The look and feel of the match had a decidedly snooker aura to it, from the beautiful Joy table with tis 3.5" corner pockets, to the dress attire of the players. I thought the camera work was excellent at well, with emphasis on the single "end zone" camera, again much like you would see in a televised snooker match. The CCTV feed was good, with a live television look to it.

I'm not familiar with this young man Shi Hanqing, but he looks like the favorite to win now, especially already being in the hot seat. He pockets the balls cleanly and moves the cue ball expertly. Appears to be in his early 20's.

In closing, there is a distinct reverence for the game shown here that I appreciated. It's obvious the Chinese appreciate and respect the subtleties of the game. You can't help but surmise that pool is treated as a "major" sport over there. If I could say BRAVO in Chinese I would. :D

Forgive me if I missed it Jay, but are you there? I never felt, from posts on AZ that there was a viable stream in the states so I didn't look.

Nice report! Thank you.

3.5" corners? OMG. I never heard of a Joy table. Is it Simonis cloth?

Go Daz!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Forgive me if I missed it Jay, but are you there? I never felt, from posts on AZ that there was a viable stream in the states so I didn't look.

Nice report! Thank you.

Go Daz!

I tried all of the links and haven't been able to see 1 second of this event yet. I don't know 100 percent but the table looks like a pool sized snooker table with snooker style rounded pockets and snooker style cloth. In other words I don't think it is Simonis.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nice report! Thank you.

Go Daz!

I'm here Matt, where are you :rolleyes:? I found the stream from an earlier post on here. It took a while to load on my new PC but once it did the stream was flawless.

I never heard of a Joy table either, but it has a distinctly Riley snooker look to it, even down to the basket pockets. It looked big and solid and very well constructed on TV. Not sure it was Simoniz, but it was a similar style fine weave cloth.

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned above I was unable to watch on a Mac but had little to no issues with the laptop on chrome, I also live in Canada, not sure thats relevant or not. I really enjoyed watching this form of pool with the tight pockets, there was certainly no slopping balls in.

Is this the same set-up as English 8-ball?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As mentioned above I was unable to watch on a Mac but had little to no issues with the laptop on chrome, I also live in Canada, not sure thats relevant or not. I really enjoyed watching this form of pool with the tight pockets, there was certainly no slopping balls in.

Is this the same set-up as English 8-ball?

English 8-Ball is played on a smaller table (7' I believe), using snooker size balls and snooker size pockets, with snooker rules. VERY different than our version of Eight Ball!

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
English 8-Ball is played on a smaller table (7' I believe), using snooker size balls and snooker size pockets, with snooker rules. VERY different than our version of Eight Ball!

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

Cheers.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I wonder if anyone but the Chinese knew they were going to play on 3"+ pockets. "Surprise rest of the world", and you get to practice 23 sec on it. :rolleyes:. Johnnyt

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I believe the tables use Strachan #10 felt, the same as what are used in major Snooker events. The table is 9 ft, using american size Aramith TV pool balls, the corner pockets width is somewhere around 3.35 inch.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Apparently, the Chinese audience were stunned by the potting accuracy demonstrated by the foreigners. "They obviously are the sharper shooters" were the consensus among the viewers.

And most of the overseas players had arrived before the new year and have 4 tables set up in the hotel lobby for praticing purpose only.

I wonder if anyone but the Chinese knew they were going to play on 3"+ pockets. "Surprise rest of the world", and you get to practice 23 sec on it. :rolleyes:. Johnnyt

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Of course they have a Billion potential fans and no real major sports to compete with

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They had a similar tournament there last year that Potts won (never seen him play myself). There was a post on Facebook by Daz on 12/13 where he states "They play on 9ft snooker tables with American sized balls which lot bigger than snooker balls" so they knew about the equipment, He had another interesting post too...

"Well course worth it .. They pay all expenses and stay 5star hotel .. Play in a good venue with professional set up. All guaranteed 3k first round and 50k winner 16players double elim.. On beautiful tables that are so tough .. Can't even graze the rail for the balls to drop . The format am not sure but I feel excited about it so guess its a good thing."

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I really like the pool I've watched played on very tight tables. Every rack and every shot has a level of suspense.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course they have a Billion potential fans and no real major sports to compete with

Wrong again. Soccer, badminton, volley ball and table tennis are much bigger in China than pool. Maybe basketball too. Pool is really a newcomer in the last 10 years.

The Chinese respect for pool and it's sublteties comes from the fact that most of the China players/fans were brought up with snooker and have that sort of mentality.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not sure if there is a direct Chinese expression for BRAVO but to say very very good, say

"fei chang hou" pronounced "fay chawng how"

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I used the link in post #11. It wasn't great, but it was usually OK.

All I get with that link is a chinese website that has 3 video boxes, none of which are related to pool. Can anyone help us poor lost souls navigate?

I believe Daz plays Gaz at 5 am EST to see who plays Shi in the finals. Can anyone confirm that also?

Thanks!